Netflix’s The Hollow

Latest News

M622

Sep 28, 2011
Ratings
Merrick ny

I can’t believe no one has posted about this yet.
It debuted this month, and it’s a mystery series about 3 amnesiac kids (Adam,Mira and Kai) who wake up in a mysterious and fantastical world.

I binged the series, and it’s pretty good for what it’s worth. The mystery itself, while I had a hunch on where it was going for the most part, leads to a pretty...interesting reveal.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80147919

I do suggest you check it out.

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,650 28
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
Just finished the series.
As soon as the other kids appeared, I figured this was some sort of video game, the various sci-fi, fantasy and horror themed locations was a clue as well.
Due to the mystery of the world being a big part of the show, and it's reveal that it was one big VR game show, this is not something I'll likely re-watch. I wonder if there will be a second season, and how it would work? Maybe they'll use a new cast and have some big free-for-all McGuffin chase. The purple-haired girl's eyes glitched near the end of the episode, I wonder if that means anything...

All in all, I enjoyed this, and would recommend it.

Also,fun fact: Rob Valley did the character designs for this. He also worked on Tron Uprising and Motorcity

Dr.Pepper

Sep 10, 2006
Ratings
1,309 7
In A House
I just binged watched it and I thought it was a solid series. I liked it better than Over the Garden Wall (just comparing the two because they are both mysterious mini series). I am not sure how a second season would work but I love to see something like this again.

PapaGreg

Drinking my sorrows
Nov 1, 2013
Ratings
1,481 8
Whelp that was medicore, nothing really jumped at me. The characters were bland and generic, the fight scenes sucked and the animation was really lackluster all in all this was a lame show

Mostezli

Corroborating with EVIL
May 28, 2014
Ratings
648 1
Halfway mark. I'm really fascinated how the "action" genre has evolved from being just how do we throw down showdowns, though I guess I have Adventure Time and Gravity Falls to thank for that.

Gatordragon

Will trick for treats!
May 14, 2012
Ratings
3,537 4
The Land of Flowers
Whelp that was medicore, nothing really jumped at me. The characters were bland and generic, the fight scenes sucked and the animation was really lackluster all in all this was a lame show
I just finished watching the whole thing and while I enjoyed some bits, I gotta agree that this cartoon was just okay at best. I especially didn't like the hodgepodge setting, even though it has an explanation. I rate it a 5 out of 10. If this gets a second season, then count me out.

Also, the ending was such a lame and cliche twist. The foreshadowing didn't make it any better.

PapaGreg

Drinking my sorrows
Nov 1, 2013
Ratings
1,481 8
@Gatordragon
I especially didn't like how it switched to live action thought it was kinda lame.

If anyone yearns for a decent action cartoon just watch Lastman, the animation is cheap at times but its pretty good or just watch Castlevanaia

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
Mar 17, 2010
Ratings
704 1
Canada
I thought this was pretty enjoyable. I clued it on what was happening pretty quickly, but I enjoyed the journey as a fun ride. Yeah, the animation isn't phenomenal, though there were a number of nice sequences. Kai fighting off the dragon looked pretty cool in a few cuts. The story kept me engaged enough to want to see if through the end.

Regarding a second season:
There's a couple of ways I could see that going. Unless they want to pull off an elaborate PT/Silent Hills fake out on the audience (like releasing the show under a different title, fake crew names, entirely different visual style, etc.), they're not going to be able to make another mystery series with this format. So you'd probably just get a more straightforward adventure show with a constantly rotating cast of characters.

Or, they could switch the mystery to the real world location. Are Vanessa and the other "kids" even human or are they The Weird Guy's house AI team? What if it turns out that's all just the next phase of The Hollow?

It's interesting to see that this is a Netflix show. From what I can tell, it's a fully Canadian production (outside of some outsourced service animation) and I feel like it's not something our broadcasters would ever fund. The show is way too serialized for that.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2011
Ratings
Merrick ny
I thought this was pretty enjoyable. I clued it on what was happening pretty quickly, but I enjoyed the journey as a fun ride. Yeah, the animation isn't phenomenal, though there were a number of nice sequences. Kai fighting off the dragon looked pretty cool in a few cuts. The story kept me engaged enough to want to see if through the end.

Regarding a second season:
There's a couple of ways I could see that going. Unless they want to pull off an elaborate PT/Silent Hills fake out on the audience (like releasing the show under a different title, fake crew names, entirely different visual style, etc.), they're not going to be able to make another mystery series with this format. So you'd probably just get a more straightforward adventure show with a constantly rotating cast of characters.

Or, they could switch the mystery to the real world location. Are Vanessa and the other "kids" even human or are they The Weird Guy's house AI team? What if it turns out that's all just the next phase of The Hollow?

It's interesting to see that this is a Netflix show. From what I can tell, it's a fully Canadian production (outside of some outsourced service animation) and I feel like it's not something our broadcasters would ever fund. The show is way too serialized for that.
They could make it a animated version of westworld for season 2 where its more about the behind the scences of the hollow with kai joining them as a new employee or something, and the show would dive into the minds of the NPC realizing that their entire world is a lie like Delores struggles...I would watch that....