NES Classic News and Discussion Thread

Storm Eagle

Power to the peaceful
What it is is a small model of the original NES with 30 classic games programmed into it. The games are:

Balloon Fight
Bubble Bobble
Castlevania
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Double Dragon II: The Revenge
Dr. Mario
Excitebike
Final Fantasy
Galaga
Ghosts 'n Goblins
Gradius
Ice Climber
Kid Icarus
Kirby's Adventure
Mario Bros.
Mega Man 2
Metroid
Ninja Gaiden
Pac-Man
Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
StarTropics
Super C
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Tecmo Bowl
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendos-nes-returning-with-mini-version-includes/1100-6441801/

I guess this sounds cool, but I already own twelve of the games offered in some form. Should I decide I want to try out the others, I can just download them from the Nintendo eShop. It would be cheaper that way.

I think I can smell an SNES version coming one day though. Maybe even a Game Boy version. In color of course.

Lord Dalek

Uncreative Hack
Unlike the AtGames Genesis clones this won't play existing games though because the NES Catridges are too big to work.

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
If you don't already own the Virtual Console rereleases of these games, this is actually a really good value.

I can't really fault the selection, either. All the major classics and most genres are covered, and I'm impressed that Nintendo got Konami, Capcom, Square-Enix and Namco to loan out their games for this.

This is obviously going to be their big ticket item this holiday, because it sure isn't going to be the Wii U.

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
Unlike the AtGames Genesis clones this won't play existing games though because the NES Catridges are too big to work.

That's probably for the best, since the hardware emulation on those ATGames boxes is really iffy.

Someone's coming out with an HD-ready NES that can take game cartridges from any region, but it's quite expensive.

Now I'm kind of hoping Simon Belmont and Bub make it into the next Smash.

Mandouga

@Leviathan:

1. You forgot Taito (Bubble Bobble).

2. You can take your "Wii U is dead" sentiments elsewhere. That's not what this thread is about (no offense).

In any case, this is being aimed at all game players (and not just "nostalgia" enthusiasts). After all, you can use the included NES controller with the Wii Remote, or you can use a Classic Controller/Pro with this "retro console". Additionally, according to this article (which cites Kotaku*), the game pak door is confirmed to just be for aesthetics only (i.e., it won't open), plus it won't have online features, so no additional games for it.

*Who (in my view) seems to be assaulting Nintendo with questions about it, including a wiseguy question about having to blow into it to get it to work (then again, it IS Kotaku we're talking about...).

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
This is really an incredible deal. Just taking into account the games, this thing balances to $2 per game - far better than any eShop download deal. But of course, it's not just that, it's the novelty of having a nostalgia-inducing piece of hardware and the $10 value of the remade NES controller that works with the retro games you've got on the Wii family of consoles. I hope Nintendo hasn't underestimated the demand, because I suspect a LOT of people will at least want those controllers.

Wii U effectively has no holiday season lineup. This is, in my view, the best possible way for Nintendo to cover that with something. Old school fans will love it, other people may well buy it as a stocking stuffer considering this is literally a library of games for what one current gen game costs.

Also impressive is that this is not just Nintendo software, they got highlights from the third parties also like Castlevania and Mega Man 2. It's apparent they went the extra mile on this.

Also of possible note: Scroll to the bottom and you will see that Nintendo has a unique logo to brand this with. Perhaps a sign this is the start of a new line?

http://www.nintendo.com/nes-classic

This is, frankly, the way Nintendo should have started putting out its library some time ago. They could roll out any number of compilation releases for their various franchises, or for periods in their history, or both. It's something worth keeping in circulation pretty much perpetually, not just on occasion when a big anniversary comes up. At this stage there is nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Mandouga

No Wii U holiday lineup, huh? They might announce one later on; you never know. Look, GWOtaku, with all due respect, that (along with the "better than any eShop deal" part) just sounds like more Wii U bashing to me, or more broadly, using one product to bash another one. Also, "the way Nintendo should have started putting out its library some time ago"? We really should be lucky Nintendo decided to give anyone anything in the first place. They didn't (and still don't) have to give us a Virtual Console service you know, and they (and still don't) have to give us this compilation, either. In any case, maybe Nintendo will also give us Super NES and Nintendo 64 versions as well, or maybe they won't. IMO, I don't think anyone is in any position to ask for any more of these, so we really should be happy that Nintendo is actually doing this.

Long story short, it's great that Nintendo is doing this, but it shouldn't be used as way to promote peoples' Wii U/Nintendo is dead/doomed ideas. We should just enjoy what we've all got. Also, If I sound upset, I'm sorry, but it just kind of comes off as elitism to me...

Tommy Lawson

Staff member
There likely won't be any mention of the top loader version of the NES. When I see the original NES, I think of the red blinking light when a game would not work. Nintendo went for the original NES controller style, with its more uncomfortable rectangular edges, than the updated dogbone style with a more rounded design like the Super NES gamepad.

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
No Wii U holiday lineup, huh? They might announce one later on; you never know. Look, GWOtaku, with all due respect, that (along with the "better than any eShop deal" part) just sounds like more Wii U bashing to me, or more broadly, using one product to bash another one. Also, "the way Nintendo should have started putting out its library some time ago"? We really should be lucky Nintendo decided to give anyone anything in the first place. They didn't (and still don't) have to give us a Virtual Console service you know, and they (and still don't) have to give us this compilation, either. In any case, maybe Nintendo will also give us Super NES and Nintendo 64 versions as well, or maybe they won't. IMO, I don't think anyone is in any position to ask for any more of these, so we really should be happy that Nintendo is actually doing this.

Long story short, it's great that Nintendo is doing this, but it shouldn't be used as way to promote peoples' Wii U/Nintendo is dead/doomed ideas. We should just enjoy what we've all got. Also, If I sound upset, I'm sorry, but it just kind of comes off as elitism to me...

Well, look, Nintendo's been quite upfront about its transition to the mysterious NX and their interest in giving it a strong launch in 2017. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just how it is and what they have to do. Wii U had 4 - 5 years of great games and I regret nothing about what it delivered, but I don't see the point of pretending it's a priority for Nintendo at this stage. It's clearly not.

In regard to the games, it's not about feeling owed anything. I just think what they're up to is damned good business. $5 for a game 20+ years old can be a hard sell if you're not one of the super faithful, and the VC obviously only goes so far when it requires a console (and Wii U, like it or not, has reached relatively few). NES Classic is a brilliant way to remind or reintroduce the mass market about what made Nintendo so memorable, at a very affordable price. Everybody wins this way, and I just think Nintendo's making the best of a non-ideal situation right now.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
While I'm starting to be allergic to all the reboots, remasters and retro comebacks, I must admit this looks and sounds pretty sweet. Smart move from Nintendo as no doubt many people will buy one. With this NES, Pokémon Go and the NX... Nintendo will likely once again steal the show.

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
Some if you may be interested in this: Prima Games is putting out a book that's pretty much designed to complement and cash in on this release. Comes out November 18.

https://www.primagames.com/games/nintendo-nes-classics/products/playing-power-nintendo-nes-classics

A Veritable Love Letter to Nintendo Fans!

• Exclusive embossed slipcase holds this hardcover tome in a clever package that resembles a classic NES Game Pak!
  • A fascinating retrospective on 17 NES classics—including Super Mario Bros. 3, Donkey Kong, and The Legend of Zelda!
  • Interviews and commentary from Nintendo visionaries who pioneered this era of gaming.
  • A showcase of vintage advertising and priceless excerpts from Nintendo Power magazine back issues!
  • Plus hand-drawn maps, character and game environment art, and much more!

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
Some if you may be interested in this: Prima Games is putting out a book that's pretty much designed to complement and cash in on this release. Comes out November 18.

https://www.primagames.com/games/nintendo-nes-classics/products/playing-power-nintendo-nes-classics
Meanwhile, another book that's dedicated to classic NES has just been funded on Kickstarter, with it slated for a 2017 release:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...nment-system-famicom-a-visual-com/description

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
@Leviathan:

1. You forgot Taito (Bubble Bobble).

Square-Enix bought Taito out in 2006.

Actually, I'm suprised to not see Hudson (owned by Konami now) represented at all. Not even Bomberman or Adventure Island.

I'm glad that guide is coming out. Not just because it will be packed with supplemental material, but games like Castlevania II are nigh-unplayable without a guide.

Last edited:

Storm Eagle

Power to the peaceful
I'm glad that guide is coming out. Not just because it will be packed with supplemental material, but games like Castlevania II are nigh-unplayable without a guide.
Well in case I decide to get the NES Classic, I've already got my old NES Game Atlas handy. Anyone remember that? :)

I'll still get the book anyway. The extra perks sound interesting.

defunctzombie

1992 not 2002
Staff member
Well, release day and it's gone. Sold out until at least black friday, according to estimates. Anyone get their hands on one? Have opinions to share?

Personally I don't think I'll be getting one. I only play maybe 5 NES games, most of which I either have on the VC or all of which I have with my NES that's currently sitting under my bed. If I want to play I'll plug it in. I'm not concerned about the graphics quality (though the output does look pretty sharp from the reviews).

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
Well, release day and it's gone. Sold out until at least black friday, according to estimates. Anyone get their hands on one? Have opinions to share?
Knowing how popular this thing was going to be, my mother was able to pick up a couple of systems (one for me, another for either a family member or a friend of hers) yesterday morning at Wal-Mart and Toys R Us. I would have joined her in terms of picking up one at Toys R Us (we had planned to do this together after being informed by the Toys R Us sales associate that knows us about the number of systems they got in), however Mom didn't want to risk not being able to get one there.

As for current plans, I'm still debating on whether to have this as a birthday present (as it is just two days away) or save it until Christmas.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
I tried buying one on Thursday but was informed by the check-out computer that the store couldn't sell it until 11/11. Then, predictably, it was sold out the next day before I could make it to the store. If you aren't allowed to sell it until release day, don't put it in the case before that to tease customers!

Also, this is yet another example of Nintendo under-delivering product. Whether they didn't anticipate demand or did it on purpose TO drive up demand, it's annoying either way.

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
These things are going for $200, $300, even $400 and $500 on eBay. That's even higher than the Wii was going for at the the peak of its popularity.

This (besides Pokemon) was supposed to be Nintendo's big-ticket item for the holidays. How did they screw up supply so badly?

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts