"Peacock (NBCUniversal Streaming Service)" News and Discussion (Spoilers)

Mandouga

Well, I wouldn't pay too much attention to what The Verge says. They're biased and have a bad tendency to sensationalize their stories. Additionally, anytime I hear the word "reportedly", that tells me that this report is uncertain; i.e., it might not really happen at all.

Also, no offense you guys, but whenever any kind of news like this happens, you (seem to) always say that it's a good/great idea, or that it "makes sense". Walmart isn't exactly the best of companies right now*, but they haven't really done anything to VUDU. VUDU is a pretty good service...for the most part, especially after they started adding free stuff.

The bottom line is, I'm hoping it doesn't happen, especially since NBC Universal is launching their own streaming service soon.

*Believe me, I know. I've heard all about how they treat their employees and stuff.

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!

A&E and History US, which was co-owned by NBCU until 2012, gives Peacock rights to their hit shows. Surprising it isn't Hulu since Disney owns half of the A+E Networks.

Mandouga

Xfinity customers just got burned. I just came from the Peacock website, and Peacock is only going to be available to Xfinity Flex customers at the moment, saying that it's "coming soon on Xfinity X1". Also, maybe I was mistaken, but wasn't Xfinity also supposed to come to Cox customers today because of some kind of "distribution deal"?

At any rate, this is yet another result of no net neutrality (i.e., giving customers who subscribe to a certain level of service preferential treatment), and I'll leave it at that.

SpongeBobFan2004

entering the next level
Xfinity customers just got burned. I just came from the Peacock website, and Peacock is only going to be available to Xfinity Flex customers at the moment, saying that it's "coming soon on Xfinity X1". Also, maybe I was mistaken, but wasn't Xfinity also supposed to come to Cox customers today because of some kind of "distribution deal"?

At any rate, this is yet another result of no net neutrality (i.e., giving customers who subscribe to a certain level of service preferential treatment), and I'll leave it at that.
And also Peacock is only available in the US, too bad the entire world will not get it because NBCUniversal will continue to license their content worldwide. Also there would be georestriction issues on YouTube channels owned by NBCUniversal. And also Peacock may be available in Puerto Rico?

LinusFan303

Squeak

Peacock might be in the CBS all Access school of not real streaming service. The primary job is to benefit Comcast's primary businesses first if it doesn't benefit Comcast's primary businesses then it doesn't last. Peacock will get to most subscribers of their services of Comcast cable because that's its job, Cox signing on is a bonus not because of net neutrality not existing, it's a deal because Cox can use it for own bottom line , and Comcast gets a little extra money, just like making it for non Comcast people available is a bonus, not the goal.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
NBCUniversal and Nintendo's partnership might result in some original content for Peacock.

First, I would love to see DreamWorks produce a Splatoon animated movie. It would then lead to a spin-off series on Peacock based on the multiplayer Turf Wars.

Also, if Illumination's Mario movie is successful, DreamWorks could produce a TV spin-off as it is for another Illumination property, Despicable Me.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
NBCUniversal and Nintendo's partnership might result in some original content for Peacock.

First, I would love to see Dreamworks produce a Splatoon animated movie. It would then lead to a spin-off series on Peacock based on the multiplayer Turf Wars.

Also, if Illumination's Mario movie is successful, Dreamworks could produce a TV spin-off as it is for another Illumination property, Despicable Me.
Again with your wishful thinking. Please stop doing that since it does come off as going off topic and if Despicable Me does a TV spinoff, I believe that it would be produced by Illumination, not Dreamworks.

NeoplanDan

Occasionally Active

First, I would love to see DreamWorks produce a Splatoon animated movie. It would then lead to a spin-off series on Peacock based on the multiplayer Turf Wars.

Also, if Illumination's Mario movie is successful, DreamWorks could produce a TV spin-off as it is for another Illumination property, Despicable Me.
So UH, got money for what you're trying to get? Or did you forget that it's costs plus they have no intentions/interests on allowing it from happening. So do yourself a favor and stop assuming ish on something that's not gonna happen, you're speaking out of a pipe dream that's ludicrous and unrealistic.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

PF9

So UH, got money for what you're trying to get? Or did you forget that it's costs plus they have no intentions/interests on allowing it from happening. So do yourself a favor and stop assuming ish on something that's not gonna happen, you're speaking out of a pipe dream that's ludicrous and unrealistic.

Says the person who's user title is "Just Think Twice Before You Say Anything". You certainly didn't.

Also, I think NBCU is making a mistake by not launching Peacock worldwide. They're missing out on a lot of revenue.

NeoplanDan

Occasionally Active
Says the person who's user title is "Just Think Twice Before You Say Anything". You certainly didn't.

Also, I think NBCU is making a mistake by not launching Peacock worldwide. They're missing out on a lot of revenue.

First of all: It got nothing to with the user title, so don't use that as a lame excuse for your misunderstandings.

Second: How is it a "nightmare" when they have every right to distribute their content/service in whether place as they pleased, this is out of our control.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
If you keep repeating false information and obsessing about these media mergers people are going to lose patience with you. I have been guilty of that in the past and I'm sorry for that. But it is very difficult to be understanding with your obsession over this one specific thing.

I have Asperger's myself so I understand having an interest nobody else cares about. But I don't bring it up online because I know nobody else cares about stuffed animals as much I do. And to be blunt, I think media mergers are actually quite harmful to society. If an Aspie I knew had an obsession with Confederate memorabilia I wouldn't humor them about that either. It's a harmful thing and all of these media threads are something that really bothers me.

But you are a nice enough guy, polite online, and have been going through some hard times and losses, so I hold my tongue, especially because I'm an Aspie myself. But you cannot expect everyone else not to push back against this. It's unreasonable.

Anime Superhero is a big place. There are a lot of other things to talk about. Make friends. Be kind. And realize this is not something anyone else cares about.

PF9

One thing that could be a huge selling point for Peacock in the future is restored October 1950-March 1962 Famous Studios cartoons (except for Popeye, which is owned by WB), complete with original Paramount logos and other references to their original distributors.

Universal has a good track record with keeping Paramount logos on films originally released by that studio that Universal now owns (though some movies in more recent decades on which the two collaborated, like Little Fockers, have both logos). These movies being the majority of the pre-1950 sound features released by Paramount (through EMKA, Ltd.), and five of Alfred Hitchcock's Paramount releases (Rear Window, The Trouble with Harry, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Vertigo, and Psycho). Of course, I'm not sure if Universal has preserved the Paramount logo at the end of 2006-12 DreamWorks Animation releases.

Last edited:

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image

PF9

Not all Xfinity customers will have this free preview it seems.

PF9

OK, the FAQ apparently didn't say how Peacock will release its original programming (unless I didn't catch it). Are they doing one episode a week, releasing new seasons all at once, or a mix of the two (some shows get new episodes once a week, others release their entire seasons all at once)?

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I don't know if this was actually "announced" somewhere, but I finally see where NBC has released the price/payment packages on this upcoming "Peacock" service. It's on their website:

There's a "basic" package that's free (yeah, I suspect that'll be largely worthless), but beyond that...there's a $4.99 a month package for the "premium" service.

But they're really pushing their yearly payment: normally $49.99, but if you sign up early (before July 15th), it's $29.99 for the first year. Which I will definitely be taking up that offer. :)

There's also an "premium ad free" version for $99.99 (or the "pre-order before July 15th" version for $49.99). But I don't mind advertisements.

So that just leaves Hulu, Netflix and the new "HBO Max" as the only jerks to not offer a yearly subscription model.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts