NBCUniversal Starts OTT Streaming Service (Peacock), slated for 2020

Latest News & Videos

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ohio
Except Universal has done TV shows before their parent company at the time bought half of NBC from General Electric. The difference between these two is that Touchstone had started to become inactive, hence why Disney renamed Touchstone Television as ABC Studios, while it made sense for the Universal name not to be ditched from NBC Universal Television to make way for it to be rebranded back as NBC Studios since the name revolves around the core TV and film businesses and that recent Saturday Night Live films were Universal releases.
Also, a potential NBC Studios already has a logo template. Just make it a variant of the NBC Presents logo that shows up before network shows produced by Universal TV. The word "Presents" would be replaced by "Studios" and there would be a Comcast byline beneath it.

Universal TV would still be used as a name for shows on competing networks and streamers, as I mentioned using an adaptation of the 2012 Universal Pictures logo.

And my proposed new name for Universal Content Productions, California National Productions, just needs to replace the UCP in the circles with CNP, with C represented by an outline of California. The byline would change to a Comcast one.

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
And my proposed new name for Universal Content Productions, California National Productions, just needs to replace the UCP in the circles with CNP, with C represented by an outline of California. The byline would change to a Comcast one.
Don't like that name. I'm fine with the current name as is.
Nintendo doesn't want just animated movies either because of Detective Pikachu's success. Nintendo knows that some of their IPs are better suited for live-action, namely more story-based/realistic ones like Metroid, Star Fox, Zelda, Fire Emblem, and even F-Zero. Oh and Kid Icarus. The sci-fi properties I mentioned I think Nintendo wants to see become as popular as sci-fi staples like Doctor Who, Star Trek, and Star Wars.
I'm starting to realise that this has derailed the entire purpose of this thread.

Last edited:

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ohio
I think the only reason Peacock has Frasier is because it aired its original run on NBC, though parent series Cheers isn't coming to Peacock.

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ohio
I didn't read that

You'd expect these to be on All Access

Netflix is where I watched most of Frasier 8 years ago

I wonder how much DWA stuff will be on the service

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ohio
Another idea I had that probably won't happen because of rights issues is the streaming of classic NBC Sports telecasts. I can tell you they will never get any Super Bowls on Peacock.

EDIT: The obscure 1990 cartoon Gravedale High (animated at Hanna-Barbera for NBC Productions) should be on Peacock too. DreamWorks Animation TV can produce a reboot too (this time, showing the actual Universal monsters as the parents of the students, these would be secondary characters; the monsters couldn't be used in 1990 because NBC and Universal had not merged then, but had a good relationship that led to the merger).

Last edited:

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
Another idea I had that probably won't happen because of rights issues is the streaming of classic NBC Sports telecasts. I can tell you they will never get any Super Bowls on Peacock.
That's because the Super Bowl television broadcasting rights rotate every year as it's currently between CBS, NBC and Fox, while ABC currently isn't part of the Super Bowl rotation as their flagship NFL show Monday Night Football moved to their sports cable network ESPN in 2006 and thus was removed as a result, though they still show the Pro Bowl and the ESPN produced playoffs despite this.

hobbyfan

Jun 9, 2002
Troy NY
Okay, now I'll wait and see if Peacock will have some USA & SyFy stuff. If they have original Swamp Thing; that'll be funny.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Doubtful about the live-action Swamp Thing, since that's likely to land at DC Universe, since WB owns the rights.

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
the point of no return
Doubtful about the live-action Swamp Thing, since that's likely to land at DC Universe, since WB owns the rights.
It's not on DC Universe. Neither are the films. The point of me bringing it up. I believe what's going to happen, these studios will either relinquish rights or control of some IP or (and I doubt this) straight out go to court.

There's plenty of issues out there too:

Ray Bradbury Theater= HBO first 2 seasons then went to USA

The Hitchhiker= HBO first 4 seasons (possibly was bought out by Rysher entertainment owned by CBS) then went to USA

Doug= Nickelodeon first 4 seasons then Disney bought rights and made new episodes

Then there's Batman '66, Fantastic Four Hanna Barbera

hobbyfan

Jun 9, 2002
Troy NY
It's not on DC Universe. Neither are the films. The point of me bringing it up. I believe what's going to happen, these studios will either relinquish rights or control of some IP or (and I doubt this) straight out go to court.

There's plenty of issues out there too:

Ray Bradbury Theater= HBO first 2 seasons then went to USA

The Hitchhiker= HBO first 4 seasons (possibly was bought out by Rysher entertainment owned by CBS) then went to USA

Doug= Nickelodeon first 4 seasons then Disney bought rights and made new episodes

Then there's Batman '66, Fantastic Four Hanna Barbera

Not at DC Universe yet, but still a possible landing spot.

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
the point of no return
Not at DC Universe yet, but still a possible landing spot.
I emailed them about the 2 movies and USA series before the new series began. I don't remember the response, but was basically encouraging more "keep watching". I don't know if they are planning on it coming to HBOmax or what. Maybe.

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ohio
That's because the Super Bowl television broadcasting rights rotate every year as it's currently between CBS, NBC and Fox, while ABC currently isn't part of the Super Bowl rotation as their flagship NFL show Monday Night Football moved to their sports cable network ESPN in 2006 and thus was removed as a result, though they still show the Pro Bowl and the ESPN produced playoffs despite this.
I was specifically referring to past Super Bowls that aired on NBC. The NFL has never let outside networks or streaming services legally re-air or stream original network telecasts of NFL games, exclusively putting them on NFL Network. Many classic broadcasts do end up on sites like YouTube, sometimes with the original commercials and sponsor plugs among other elements that are typically edited out of NFL Network rebroadcasts. Many 1990s Monday Night Football games contain the original intros first with Frank Gifford narrating a storyline relating to the game, followed by the crashing helmets, and then the Hank Williams Jr. theme song.

But I digress. The NFL is not likely to let Peacock stream any surviving original broadcasts of any NFL game that aired on NBC in the past. Other major sports leagues might be more lenient with stuff like that. But you shouldn't hold your breath.

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
I was specifically referring to past Super Bowls that aired on NBC. The NFL has never let outside networks or streaming services legally re-air or stream original network telecasts of NFL games, exclusively putting them on NFL Network.
Well, it didn't look like you were.

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ohio
Though it's going to be free for everyone I'd still like to see the ability to purchase content types a la carte for ad-free viewing. So for a lower price people can see the content types they like without ads and everything else with them.

Content types could be as broad as basic genres (action, comedy, horror, etc.) or they could be micro-genres (NBC sitcoms from the 2010s that are no longer running, Jay Ward Productions series, The Fast and the Furious franchise). It is up to the people who run Peacock to come up with all these tags to serve as the basis for the content types.

Last edited:
Reactions: the greenman

zoombie

Jan 23, 2007
New York
You think on the new Punky Brewster they would do something progressive, like make her bi sexual. I always wonder if her and Cherie were more than just friends. Well that is probably best to leave in the world of fan fics. But one of the un answered mysteries of Punky Brewster could have been answered.

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ohio
One thing I'd like to see is a TV series of An American Tail. Though they made one decades ago, I'd like to see another one, as mice are my favorite animals and thus a lot of fictional characters I like, including Fievel (the only really popular mouse character Universal has, compared to other studios), are mice.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

For some reason I keep being reminded of this post I made on a Black Clover talkback thread: C&C - Black Clover - "The One With No Magic" [9/8]

It seems like the inspiration for Maya comes from his wife, mother, and sister.
The good news is I'm not scared anymore. The bad news is, as I have absorbed things, I am now freaking infuriated.
For nick@nite, and I thought full house was the only one skipped.., now George lopez is doing the same thing.. early Mon Jun 1 3:30am was No Free Launch, then skipped episodes to A Kiss is Just Kiss episode aired early Jun 2 at 4am. Very weird for nick@nite, obvi a sign that show won't last long