My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Season 9 Talkback

zoombie

Daring Doubt

Fluttershy goes on a quest to find a mysterious writer that publishes his own renditions of Daring Do's adventures.

Discuss

zoombie

Daring Doubt

I guess Miss Yearling never of something called a lawyer, this all could have been settled easily. If someone uses your characters in another book without your permission, I am pretty sure you can sue.

And Daring Do being real is a secret, it is? That is news to me, never been presented that way.

So this wraps the whole Daring Do plot line, everyone gaining an understanding of each other, and such. And who else but Fluttershy, she reformed Discord, she can reform and repair anybody.

Well a good episode, even though this whole thing could have been settled easily, get a lawyer.

zoombie

Growing Up Is Hard To Do

The Cutie Mark Crusaders discover that growing up is a lot harder than they thought.

Discuss

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
In watching today's MLP episode, Scootaloo is still shown to have small wings even when she's an adult. It pretty much says she'll never be able to fly like a regular Pegasus. I don't have a problem with this, but I assume someone will .

zoombie

Growing Up Is Hard To Do

So we kind of get a take on Big, the same sort of message, just because you are older on the outside doesn't mean you are older on the inside. The CMCs did not gain experience and wisdom with this spell.

They still use the same voice actresses with the grown up CMCs, I wonder if we get a time skip in the finale and we see older CMCs, maybe than they will get new voice actresses.

Brings back memories when I was a kid, I too used to think that trains just go where ever you want to go like a taxi. Getting lost in a place like a carnival, that is something scary for a kid, so very relatable.

It was a good episode, I hope we see the CMCs grow up for real in the future.

zoombie

The Big Mac Question

Things go awry when Big McIntosh and Sugar Belle decide to get married.

Discuss

zoombie

The Big Mac Question

Well another wrap up episode, I don't think this episode would happen if this wasn't the final season. I like how this connects all of Big Macs storylines from his game nights with Spike and Discord to the CMCs and how they helped him with his court ship of Sugar Belle in the first place, as well as the story of the parents.

You had one story, and you had three acts tell different version, which I thought was clever, I like those things.

The whole reveal of the place of narration was great. I didn't think the wedding would happen so far. If I can make one nip pick, besides Applejack I didn't see any of the other Mane 6 there. Maybe I missed it.

Well this is a nice final horrah before the big finale.

zoombie

The Ending of the End Part 1

A villainous alliance unleashes their power on Equestria.

The Ending of the End Part 2

The Mane Six face off against Equestria's most dangerous foes.

The Last Problem

In a distant future, Princess Twilight Sparkle attempts to solve a student's friendship problem.

So it has come to this, the final episodes. For the final time.

Discuss

SuperSuck64

Misanthrope Supreme
Well, we're here. Last day of ponies. I don't think I'm ready for this...

Besides that, it's been a pretty good season so far. A few "meh" episodes here and there, but for the most part it's been pretty enjoyable. All in all a good note to end on.

zoombie

Ending of The End

So Discord for Glowgard all along, tell you did not see that coming. So his plan was to unite the villains and teach him about friendship, so Twilight could defeat them. Not a good plan. The whole war between the unicorns, pegasus, and earth ponies was something that always wanted to see. This show kind of tackle racism in its own way.

These villains were fun, love their banter, and when it looks like they are bonding, you do see their selfishness get in the way.

Am I the only who thinks that maybe Cozy Glow murdered her parents, I know the show won't say that, but that is something could be in my head canon.

Great to see all these callbacks, we even got Tempest to make an appearance. And in the end evil is defeated.

The Last Problem

Well we got a epilogue, and lot of surprise, first of all this show confirms some romance from Pinkie Pie and Cheese Sandwich, to Applejack and Rainbow Dash, and maybe Fluttershy and Discord, that one I am not sure of, I didn't expect that because this show does not do romance, at least with the mane 6, that is what Equestria Girls is for, so nice surprise.

I wasn't disappointed we never saw older Flurry Heart, we saw older Pound and Pumpkin Cake, grown up Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon, the CMCs, the Student 6, but Flurry was the one I was looking most forward to, oh well.

Seeing Twilight in that fully realized Allicorn was great to see, and that makes it just on it's self, but the episode was great on it's own.

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
Despite not having seen seasons 6-9 of this show, I checked out the finale for kicks and giggles. Here are my thoughts below.

The show ended...pretty much exactly how I thought it would. The ponies had to fight villains from the past, Celestia and Luna retired, Twilight became the new ruler of Equestria. Literally the only thing that didn't happen that I thought probably would is the rest of the Mane 6 becoming alicorns. The first part of the finale (eps. 24-25) was extremely well done. I had a little trouble following along since I hadn't seen the rest of the season, but I picked things up fairly easily. Discord is a great character. I remember all the way back in 2013 when they reformed him and me thinking how big of a mistake it was. Maybe not. I thought he was used in such a fantastic way here (as well as in the season four finale), having good intentions but carrying them out in a villainous way. It shows that even though people can change, they're still going to make mistakes and some of their old quirks may never truly disappear. Anyway, I was really happy to see him here as not only did he initiate some interesting conflict, but he added some comedic relief (I loved it when he was imitating the three villain's voices in the flashback). As for the other three villains, the only one I didn't recognize was Cozy Glow, but I guess she was a big character last season, so I never got to see her transformation. I thought the trio worked pretty well together. There were some tropes, yes, but for the most part, their interactions were entertaining. I would like to watch the episode where they teamed up initially. The way they were defeated at the end was brilliant. Throwing back to both the season one and two openers; I love it! Actually, there were a lot of throwbacks in the finale, like the return of many characters, the ponies eating donuts at the end like in "The Best Night Ever," etc. All of these things made it feel like "final countdown" finale material and not just another season closer. Also, the episodes got kind of dark at points (not a bad thing!), especially during the fight between Cozy and the rest of the characters in the throne room, as well as during Starlight and Chrysalis’ fight. Yet another aspect that made it feel like it was really the end.

Now, the epilogue episode is what really surprised me. I thought a two-minute flash forward at the end of episode 25 would have sufficed, but not bad that we got this episode anyways. It was so WEIRD seeing everyone grown up. Twilight as an alicorn looks okay I guess (a bit unsettling if we're being honest), but I felt like Tara Strong should have used a “calmer” voice when reading her dialogue, similar to the manner Celestia speaks in. She doesn’t sound regal enough to me. At least Cathy Weseluck spoke in a lower pitch for Spike (who also looks somewhat odd). Never thought Pinkie would be a mom, and I guess Rainbow Dash and Applejack are a couple, as well as Discord and Fluttershy? I know that many fans shipped these characters, but I never would have expected these pairings to become canon. Not sure how I feel about that. I liked the new character they introduced (can’t remember her name), and I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing her in G5. I’m glad this episode wasn’t just a clip show. When the synopsis said something about “past memories,” I figured it’d be one giant reminiscing session of prior episodes. Instead, we get to see how Twilight’s actual coronation plays out. I would have been fine not knowing how it went, as I thought the open-ended last scene in the previous episode worked well for an ending. However, I did enjoy seeing how the friends felt about the entire situation and everything changing. I’d imagine this would be an especially great episode for college freshmen or even high school freshmen to an extent, as they’re probably going through something similar to Twilight’s predicament. The last song EVER was good, but definitely not the best in the show. I guess I expected it to be a little more “epic.” I did enjoy seeing every character make an appearance during it, and the book closing at the end was a cliche, but very satisfying way to end the series for good.

All in all, it was a well-done finale to an extremely influential series in worldwide pop culture (and way way way way way WAY better than the Star vs. finale. AMIRIGHT?? :D)

Speaking of that show, when I spoke about that finale I also explained my experience with the show, and I’m going to do that here as well, since I don’t remember speaking much about MLP on here.

I began watching the show in the summer of 2012, when the hiatus between seasons two and three was taking place. At first, I thought it was just another rebooted property, but when I watched my first episode (“The Return of Harmony”), I saw that my initial thoughts were wrong. I was so impressed that My Little Pony, a brand seen as a sparkly pink toy line for little girls, could be something with action and good storytelling that could be enjoyed by all walks of life. I was hooked...then season three came. And it was AWFUL. Maybe some disagree, but I think there were only three episodes that I truly liked. Obviously, Lauren Faust leaving the show put a huge damper on it, and the charm from seasons one and two seemed either forced or completely gone altogether. After season two, I think the show always had a different feel to it, but luckily it started to get better again in season four. I thought it was an overall good season with some clunkers (I was the only one who didn’t like the Cheese Sandwich episode) accompanied by a solid opener and a WICKED finale. Season five was hit or miss for me, with more misses than hits. I didn’t find the opener to be as philosophically brilliant as many did, and Starlight just didn’t interest me as a character. I thought she should have had more development before they just reformed her in the finale. And...that was the final straw for me. I just didn’t see the need to keep up with the show anymore. The direction they were taking the story in wasn’t intriguing to me, and I began to fall out of love with the characters and world. I don’t really regret my decision to stop keeping up now having watched the finale, but I do wish I would have been there for some of the show’s bigger moments, like Spike getting his wings, the ponies' parents being revealed, etc. Even though I’m no longer a “fan” per se, I still have a deep respect for the show and will never forget the impact it had on my life.

Thanks for a great nine years, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic! You’ve changed so many lives for the better and I can’t imagine you ever fading away forever. You’ll always live on in our hearts.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts