My Hero Academia - Anime Rendition (Pre-Air Discussions)

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Well, I was hoping that the Demon Slayer movie's success in limited release would lead to anime movies getting a wide release, but this release being limited probably means that anime movies will never have a wide release ever again. It's box office appears nowhere near as impressive as Demon Slayer's as it made only $6 million, hardly mainstream box office numbers. Being manga canon probably led to Demon Slayer being that lightning in a bottle that might not be able to be recaptured. Well, okay, turn of the century era Pokemon is still by far the most anime America's ever had and its box office record is still untouchable.

My Hero Academia: World Heroes' Mission Reveals Opening Weekend Box Office

Not sure what the expectations are but I will note that in places like Variety and The Hollywood Reporter, they were surprised the movie made even that much.

PicardMan

Staff member
Not sure what the expectations are but I will note that in places like Variety and The Hollywood Reporter, they were surprised the movie made even that much.

This movie's $6.4 million did significantly less than Mugen Train's $19.7 million so I guess nobody expected any anime movie that came after it to duplicate its success. Some people claim anime has reached mainstream status, but the box office content for anime, even the celebrated Demon Slayer, is pretty niche. I'm not sure if anime really is more popular than its ever been as nothing has matched the massive popularity of turn of the century Pokemon. Maybe a more accurate statement would be that battle shonen is at its most popular in the United States, but its still a pale shadow of Pokemon's mainstream popularity at the turn of the century. I guess only toyetic anime at the turn of the century had a chance at mainstream wide releases, but it does seem that toyetic anime have declined dramatically from that turn of the century peak and battle shonen is the most popular type of anime now. It seemed like the Demon Slayer movie was evidence that anime films were getting close to that mainstream status, beating the unadjusted gross of Pokemon 2000 (still well behind it adjusted for inflation), but it appears that MHA did not match it. I guess the media had lower expectations than fans who were hoping that an anime film is bound to break that $50 million barrier and break into the mainstream.

Classic Speedy

John Belushi as Slimer
Staff member
Reporter
Multiple seasons are on sale for $4.99 the next two weeks, on both Amazon Prime and iTunes (and probably other streaming services).

I've been buying a season at a time whenever they have these sales- currently I'm up to "season 4" (the set that begins with "Game Start"). Good show, I can see why it's popular.

Last edited:

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Multiple seasons are on sale for $4.99 the next two weeks, on both Amazon Prime and iTunes (and probably other streaming services).

I've been buying a season at a time whenever they have these sales- currently I'm up to "season 4" (the set that begins with "Game Start"). Good show, I can see why it's popular.

Hope you can catch up before the next season starts!

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Then something bad is intensifying!
Asa
Peanuts creator Charles Schultz would've turned 99 years old today.
Lost of Christmas stuff on tonight Frosty and Frosty Returns is on CBS tonight, it's always on the night after Thanksgiving, so is Grandma Got Runover by a Reindeer on The CW, and NBC has the Original Grinch, ABC has Santa Claus is Comin' to town (though if you prefer to watch this one un edited Freeform is the better place to watch it )
Nick@nite finally got new Christmas brand just today started 6am!

Featured Posts