My Hero Academia - Anime Rendition (Pre-Air Discussions)

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Well, I was hoping that the Demon Slayer movie's success in limited release would lead to anime movies getting a wide release, but this release being limited probably means that anime movies will never have a wide release ever again. It's box office appears nowhere near as impressive as Demon Slayer's as it made only $6 million, hardly mainstream box office numbers. Being manga canon probably led to Demon Slayer being that lightning in a bottle that might not be able to be recaptured. Well, okay, turn of the century era Pokemon is still by far the most anime America's ever had and its box office record is still untouchable.

My Hero Academia: World Heroes' Mission Reveals Opening Weekend Box Office

Not sure what the expectations are but I will note that in places like Variety and The Hollywood Reporter, they were surprised the movie made even that much.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Not sure what the expectations are but I will note that in places like Variety and The Hollywood Reporter, they were surprised the movie made even that much.

This movie's $6.4 million did significantly less than Mugen Train's $19.7 million so I guess nobody expected any anime movie that came after it to duplicate its success. Some people claim anime has reached mainstream status, but the box office content for anime, even the celebrated Demon Slayer, is pretty niche. I'm not sure if anime really is more popular than its ever been as nothing has matched the massive popularity of turn of the century Pokemon. Maybe a more accurate statement would be that battle shonen is at its most popular in the United States, but its still a pale shadow of Pokemon's mainstream popularity at the turn of the century. I guess only toyetic anime at the turn of the century had a chance at mainstream wide releases, but it does seem that toyetic anime have declined dramatically from that turn of the century peak and battle shonen is the most popular type of anime now. It seemed like the Demon Slayer movie was evidence that anime films were getting close to that mainstream status, beating the unadjusted gross of Pokemon 2000 (still well behind it adjusted for inflation), but it appears that MHA did not match it. I guess the media had lower expectations than fans who were hoping that an anime film is bound to break that $50 million barrier and break into the mainstream.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Multiple seasons are on sale for $4.99 the next two weeks, on both Amazon Prime and iTunes (and probably other streaming services).

I've been buying a season at a time whenever they have these sales- currently I'm up to "season 4" (the set that begins with "Game Start"). Good show, I can see why it's popular.

Last edited:

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Multiple seasons are on sale for $4.99 the next two weeks, on both Amazon Prime and iTunes (and probably other streaming services).

I've been buying a season at a time whenever they have these sales- currently I'm up to "season 4" (the set that begins with "Game Start"). Good show, I can see why it's popular.

Hope you can catch up before the next season starts!

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Was hoping to see some action scenes to see if the animation has bounced back from the slideshow presentations during the MVA arc fights. I am hoping that season 5 was just a fluke and it will take back the title as America's most popular anime after Demon Slayer yanked that trophy away.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Was hoping to see some action scenes to see if the animation has bounced back from the slideshow presentations during the MVA arc fights. I am hoping that season 5 was just a fluke and it will take back the title as America's most popular anime after Demon Slayer yanked that trophy away.
I haven't seen that movie yet, but yeah, haven't really been wowed since Deku, enhanced by Eri, defeated Overhaul in the Shie Hassaikai arc. Demon Slayer and Jujutsu have been really outshined. But the anime is nearing MHA's last arcs, so it could be a contender again.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I haven't seen that movie yet, but yeah, haven't really been wowed since Deku, enhanced by Eri, defeated Overhaul in the Shie Hassaikai arc. Demon Slayer and Jujutsu have been really outshined. But the anime is nearing MHA's last arcs, so it could be a contender again.

Season 5 had some great emotional moments, like Endeavor's character arc and Shigaraki's backstory, so I can't really say that season 5 is the most horrible thing ever like some angry fans like to say. There were still lots of plot problems, like Redestro being a dramatically disappointing villain. Fans say this wasn't a problem with the source material as Redestro had actual characterization and there were lots of great moments in MVA arc of the manga that the anime cut out. Still weird how the fight scenes during the obligatory no stakes tournament arc had much more fluid animation than the fan hyped MVA arc's stiff slideshow animation. Overall, season 5 was that deeply flawed season that's vastly inferior to what came before it, but still worth watching.

I know a big problem is that there appears to be an anime arms race between studios as to which one can create the flashiest fight scenes and MHA is losing out, but I do think plot and character wise, it is probably behind only One Piece as the best of the current bunch. To be fair, Demon Slayer only has two seasons and Jujutsu Kaisen one, so they may be reach MHA's level of storytelling. I do admit that these show's action scenes, the main draw for a battle shonen, did make MHA season 5's look abysmal in comparison, even the fights that were actually animated and not slideshows like the Joint Training Arc fights looked pretty pedestrian compared to these shows.

The main thing about season 6 is that it needs to restore the good will lost due to season 5. It could end up like a Seven Deadly Sins situation where the show continues a downward quality spiral. At least Bones is a much more capable studio than the studio that did seasons 3 and 4 of that show. I just hope season 6 can restore the show to the glory it had in seasons 1-4.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Season 5 had some great emotional moments, like Endeavor's character arc and Shigaraki's backstory, so I can't really say that season 5 is the most horrible thing ever like some angry fans like to say. There were still lots of plot problems, like Redestro being a dramatically disappointing villain. Fans say this wasn't a problem with the source material as Redestro had actual characterization and there were lots of great moments in MVA arc of the manga that the anime cut out. Still weird how the fight scenes during the obligatory no stakes tournament arc had much more fluid animation than the fan hyped MVA arc's stiff slideshow animation. Overall, season 5 was that deeply flawed season that's vastly inferior to what came before it, but still worth watching.

I know a big problem is that there appears to be an anime arms race between studios as to which one can create the flashiest fight scenes and MHA is losing out, but I do think plot and character wise, it is probably behind only One Piece as the best of the current bunch. To be fair, Demon Slayer only has two seasons and Jujutsu Kaisen one, so they may be reach MHA's level of storytelling. I do admit that these show's action scenes, the main draw for a battle shonen, did make MHA season 5's look abysmal in comparison, even the fights that were actually animated and not slideshows like the Joint Training Arc fights looked pretty pedestrian compared to these shows.

The main thing about season 6 is that it needs to restore the good will lost due to season 5. It could end up like a Seven Deadly Sins situation where the show continues a downward quality spiral. At least Bones is a much more capable studio than the studio that did seasons 3 and 4 of that show. I just hope season 6 can restore the show to the glory it had in seasons 1-4.
I think the problem with season 5 is it was set up for the final arcs. It was more like season 4.5. So there wasn't really any stakes like past seasons, it was just doing housekeeping with plot and moving characters to certain positions. But from what little I've let myself read up on, the next couple arcs will be pretty brutal.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Honestly, I thought that season five was fine. If it didn't start off with a training arc, I think that fans would have been more okay with it, even if it was mostly setup for future arcs. Even the training arc was still pretty solid, giving more of the Class-1A cast more time to shine and there were some pretty solid fights too. I can understand the backlash to a point, especially when they did save the My Villain Academia arc for the end of the season due to the movie, but I wouldn't really consider the season a huge step down from the first four either.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I'm not sure if the setup excuse really works when you can make setup engaging. Based just on the anime adaptation, Redestro was the weakest villain in the entire series; even Gentle was a more interesting villain. despite the low stakes of his arc. The animation took a nosedive during the MVA arc and even if we knew the League of Villains would turn out okay and there wasn't much suspense, they could have given us flashy fights instead of the slideshows we ended up getting. The climactic Shigaraki vs Redestro fight was at least okay and had actual animation even if the choreography wasn't that great. I guess manga fans hyping MVA as best arc ever heightened my expectations when I found it to be a middle of the road arc for the series with the flashbacks being far more engaging than the actual current battles.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I guess I'll get to learn what the Mirko hype is about as manga fans have been hyping her role in this arc. Well, she is another popular sex appeal character. Hopefully she won't be the next Redestro and have all her characterization cut from the anime adaptation. The trailer seems to be mainly characters running towards each other, so it's hard to really gleam how the animation quality will be throughout the 24 episodes, but without any news of a movie, that's actually good for the show if the A team can stay on the show proper. The MVA arc's animation problems might have been because the A team were too busy working on the movie. Still no release date, which is a bummer.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter

I think Comicbook.com had a major typo as the article says it will debut in August in one paragraph and October in another. Anime News Network says October 1, so I think that's the actual release date.

That post got my hopes up that it would come out in August, but we'll have to wait. It feels weird how all the shonen appear to be airing in October (Mob Psycho season 3,, SpyXFamily season 1B, the final Bleach season, Chainsaw Man, MHA season 6) and we have this drought from the end of SpyXFamily season 1A until October. The shonen drought isn't fun and I wish they were all spread across the year instead of airing all at the same time.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I'm pretty excited for the new season. As far as I know, Crunchyroll still doesn't have the dub available on their website yet, but hopefully that will change before the new season premieres.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts