"My Adventures With Superman" Animated Series News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Frontier

Staff member

Emily Hu has recently started working on the show as a storyboard artist. She's worked as a storyboard artist on various projects like Marvel's Spiderman, Guardians Of The Galaxy, Avengers Assemble, She Ra And The Princesses Of Power, Fast And Furious Spy Racers, and more recently Young Justice.

Christina "Kiki" Manrique is also attached to the series. She's been a director for Centaurworld and She Ra And The Princesses Of Power (while also being a storyboard artist). She's also been a storyboard artist for various DC and Scooby Doo movies, and has also worked on projects like Turbo Fast, DC Superhero Girls 2015, Spirit Riding Free, and Rise Of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
Definitely have plenty of experience on Superhero cartoons :).

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I think some of the projects she worked on were The Adventures Of Puss In Boots, Big Hero 6 The Series, and She Ra And The Princesses Of Power. She certainly has the skills.

user313856

I love Superman. I love his powers, his action. But above all, I love him as also a guy who just wants to do the right thing. Clark Kent is not just a mask, it's also who he is. A humble and down-to-earth simple farmboy who grew up in Kansas and with amazing parents that truly teached him how to be a great person.

Superman is more like his job, his duty. So far, I think Superman The Animated Series nailed that best. In one episode, Clark Kent is supposedly killed in an "accident", and Clark does not know what to do, how to bring Clark back to life, and he says that he needs to be Clark because Clark is who he is, and he will go insane if he has to be Superman all the time

Still, there is one element that I think even STAS could have developed more. It's a problem I often see in Superman adaptations really. We don't get to see that much of Clark's work as an investigative reporter, and his chemistry with Perry, Lois and Jimmy. They are too often in the sidelines. One thing I really liked about the 90s live-action show Lois & Clark is that it actually focused a lot on Clark as an investigative reporter and working together with Lois. Clark would often spend most of the time like that in any episode rather than being Superman.

It seems that the future animated show My Adventures With Superman, specially in its official premise, will actually focus a lot on the trio of Clark, Lois and Jimmy together as friends, co-workers and reporters. Clark as the humble, dork, maybe a bit timid and clumsy, but also very competent, pragmatic and grounded guy, Lois as the fearless, strong-willed and determined reporter who is willing to put herself in all danger to get the news, and Jimmy Olsen as a sort of cool eager and relaxed little brother. While I still want the show to have action, I love that it seems it will focus a lot on Clark's life, and on his friends, and their chemistry together!

In other words, I immensely look forward to this show!

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Diana Huh is a director for the series. She worked as a storyboard artist for shows like Shimmer And Shine, DC Superhero Girls 2015, Milo Murphy's Law, She Ra And The Princesses Of Power, Infinity Train, and DuckTales 2017 (mainly the Let's Get Dangerous special). She was also a director for She Ra, as well as Wolfboy And The Everything Factory.

Screenshot_20220102-133320.png

Frontier

Staff member
Diana Huh is a director for the series. She worked as a storyboard artist for shows like Shimmer And Shine, DC Superhero Girls 2015, Milo Murphy's Law, She Ra And The Princesses Of Power, Infinity Train, and DuckTales 2017 (mainly the Let's Get Dangerous special). She was also a director for She Ra, as well as Wolfboy And The Everything Factory.

View attachment 293482
Definitely a lot of animation experience :).

Reactions: Moe

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
January 7:

Someone by the name of Angela Entzminger is joining the series as a writer, which is quite interesting. She's mainly known for her work at Nickelodeon, most notably The Loud House. She started out doing social media art for the network before later becoming a production coordinator, production assistant, a storyboard artist/revisionist, and even a character designer. The only other notable show she worked on was Santiago Of The Seas, where she was a storyboard artist, and apparently wrote an episode during season 2.

View attachment 293616

February 8:

Hayley Foster's LinkedIn profile says how she's a storyboard artist for the show. Her IMDb shows how she's had plenty of experience with Warner Brothers Animation, such as being a storyboard artist on a few DC movies (such as Batman Vs Robin and Teen Titans Go Vs Teen Titans) and various TV shows (notably Be Cool Scooby Doo, Justice League Action, Bunnicula, and DC Superhero Girls 2015). She's also recently worked at Disney Television Animation on The Owl House and DuckTales 2017.

Screenshot_20220208-133024.png

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
04/12:
This might be nothing but Alice Lee posted a photo from a recording studio (I think) with My Adventures of Superman and Lois Lane hashtags. (The other hashtags and images included in the post are unrelated)

06/20:
It sounds like Michael Emerson is the voice of Brainiac. Starting at 14:05 in this interview.

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Well, considering the voices he's done (Dr. Venom in GI Joe Renegades, Nanite Alpha in Ben 10/Generator Rex: Heroes United, and of course The Joker in Batman: The Dark Knight Returns), I'm sure he'll do well here.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Probably the only other actor to have voiced both characters at some point is Corey Burton. He voiced Brainiac in the DCAU and The New Scooby Doo Movies version of The Joker in the Batman: The Brave And The Bold episode "Batmite Presents: Batman's Strangest Cases".

Frontier

Staff member

Dusty

Superman.
Hard pass, the designs looks like the cheap anime-ish shows flooding all cartoon channels right now. This just looks like a rip-off of Avatar:TLA but instead is about a goofy Superman.
I miss the DCAU or The Batman or BATB. feh I say, FEH! ;)

TFormersMarvel

In an interview with Trekkie channel Jessie Gender, Jack Quaid talks a little bit about playing Superman for the series (56:35):

• Reaffirms that it's a young adult Clark, still learning his powers while building his career and associates (Lois and Jimmy) at the Daily Planet.
  • He talks about recording his lines for the show, including some relatively recent ADR work, witnessing "fly-by animatics".
  • Quaid notes about getting emotional about a particular bit he recorded. He feel it's a perfect contrast to the mostly cynical The Boys that he also leads.
  • Furthermore, he's done some research in Superman in his spare time, with the help of Golden Apple Comics. He fell in love with the character pretty quickly. All-Star Superman notably influenced his take on the character, while mentioning Superman for All Seasons.
  • He recalled being dumbstrucked by the email asking him to audition for the role.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frontier

Staff member
In an interview with Trekkie channel Jessie Gender, Jack Quaid talks a little bit about playing Superman for the series (56:35):

• Reaffirms that it's a young adult Clark, still learning his powers while building his career and associates (Lois and Jimmy) at the Daily Planet.
  • He talks about recording his lines for the show, including some relatively recent ADR work, witnessing "fly-by animatics".
  • Quaid notes about getting emotional about a particular bit he recorded. He feel it's a perfect contrast to the mostly cynical The Boys that he also leads.
  • Furthermore, he's done some research in Superman in his spare time, with the help of Golden Apple Comics. He fell in love with the character pretty quickly. All-Star Superman notably influenced his take on the character, while mentioning Superman for All Seasons.
  • He recalled being dumbstrucked by the email asking him to audition for the role.
That Superman's so young and fresh makes me also think he might not know about Krypton/or have the Fortress at this point.

EDIT 8/5: Josie Campbell held an AMA on the DC Comics reddit and talked about the show:

And as an aside, yes, My Adventures With Superman is still slated to come out next year on Cartoon Network and the app! Get ready!

Thank you so much for enjoying She-Ra!! It is not a spoiler to say if you'd like to see more romance, get ready for My Adventures With Superman coming out on TV next year (as we've told interviewers before, we basically pitched that as a rom-com with punching, and Clark and Lois falling in love is a big part of it). I'd love to write more comics, time allowing -- outside of Shazam I don't have anything else in comics ready to announce, but I definitely want to keep writing for DC and beyond!

Last edited:

Dragnatek

While we have no official information it is safe to assume the fate of this show is bleak as well. At best it likely needs a new home and at worst its cancelled. Yeah I should wait for official news but given everything we know it won't be good news.

user313856

I hope this show won't get cancelled. I believe it won't be cancelled!

Personally, I believe this, and many other shows, won't be cancelled. They will simply not be released as HBO Max originals. A big criticism that the current Warner administration has of the previous one is the whole thing about "HBO Max originais", about releasing some films and shows first to streaming. They want to to completely that, and also make it longer for films and shows to reach the streaming. For example, they heavily criticized how The Batman was allowed to reach streaming after only 45 days. They say the film could have earned even more money at the box office if that wasn't the case. And for TV shows, they really seem to give a back a greater emphasis on the cable TV channels. Everything should air there first before going to streaming.

In fact, their list of priorities actually has ITunes, Google Play and Apple Store releases before streaming.

Mod Note: Double Post merged.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts