'Muppet Babies' (2018) on Disney Junior: News and Discussion Thread

SweetShop209

Here are the two episodes airing in March. On March 12, we have "Lone Eagle/The Fellowship Of The Rainbow Yoyo". On March 26, we have "Kermit And Fozzie's Eggcellent Adventure/Animal And The Little Accident".

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Muppet Babies "Muppet Space Camp / The Best Best Friend Beach Day"

Muppet Space Camp:

Carlos sure is cute.

As far as homages, references, or Easter Egg's go, I don't like Henson's Comet. At all. There is zero subtlety to it. If DuckTales 2017 named a comet after Barks or Rosa, that's okay. If they name it after DISNEY, it's off-putting and unacceptable. Henson is far too big of a name in the franchise to credibly name something unrelated after.

We get a Star Wars scene because Muppet Babies doesn't have to pay licensing fees for that anymore. We're just all one big Mousey family.

Cute. ***1/2.

The Best Best Friend Beach Day:

That was tiresome. Normally if I dislike something I'll itemize the reasons why it sucked, but this was so boring I found it hard to concentrate, and my mind kept wandering. I can barely remember what I just saw, and I saw it five minutes ago. *.

Episode Overall: **1/2.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Muppet Babies "The Ribbiter / Presto Uh Oh"

The Ribbiter:

If Kermit really wanted to play with Robin HE could have joined the bad guys. It's lame that the show never suggested that.

For the record, pickles DON'T grow on trees.

Predictable, cliched, typical preschool claptrap. Not impressed. *.

Presto Uh Oh:

The problem with Summer not having a proper personality or visible fault is that each Summer episode winds up being how one of the Babies supposedly wrongs her and how she forgives them. What a boring, vanilla excuse for characterization. Summer does not have to be as boring as the producers are making her. She's actually cute. The writers simply CHOOSE to make her boring. *.

Episode Overall: *.

SweetShop209

The episode "Wocka Bye Fozzie" was nominated for an Annie Award. According to Robyn Brown, this is the show's first Annie Award.

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Today's Muppet Babies episode, "Lone Eagle/The Fellowship Of The Rainbow Yoyo", has Sam The Eagle voiced by Eric Bauza (he sounds pretty good, albeit a bit similar to his Marvin the Martian voice). He and Matt Danner are tied for the most amount of major characters they voice:

Matt: Kermit, Waldorf, Beaker, Rowlf, and Chef

Eric: Fozzie, Statler, Bunsen, Robin, and Sam

SweetShop209

When someone asked on the age difference between Kermit and Robin, series story editor Robyn Brown said how "if you think of Kermit as 5 or 6, then Robin is around 3."

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Muppet Babies "Lone Eagle / The Fellowship Of The Rainbow Yo-yo"

Lone Eagle:

Sam the Eagle is the third to last Muppet I would ever make a Baby (after Statler and Waldorf). Weird choice.

The episode wasn't hot either. **.

The Fellowship Of The Yo-yo:

Dumb and predictable. It also gave the wrong moral for a yo-yo. It isn't to learn how to take turns. When you get a yo-yo, the real test is having the patience to learn and practice the tricks. They do not come come easily and take a bit of time and skill to master. I still can't do "Rock the Cradle" or "Around the World". The Babies shouldn't have been frustrated in not being able to all instantly use the yo-yo. They should have been frustrated they couldn't immediately get it to work the way they wanted it to.

Meh. *1/2.

Episode Overall: **.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Muppet Babies "Kermit And Fozzie's Eggcellent Adventure / Animal And The Little Accident"

Kermit And Fozzie's Eggcellent Adventure:

Are you like me? Are you a Muppet nerd? Are you a Muppet purist? Take my advice. Anytime you see a Philistine argue this show is a remotely acceptable legacy for the Muppets, point out the scene where Statler and Waldorf say they are great at hiding things. Here is why the show sucks and nobody should take it seriously. Any halfway decent writer would have then had them say that they however weren't great at finding stuff they misplaced. They might have even used that as a fun excuse for the Babies to find the eggs. But something that relatable and funny for those characters, staring a halfway decent writer in the face, doesn't occur to this show. I have often been disappointed by the show, but I don't think I've ever truly believed it was truly worthless until I saw that simple missed opportunity.

Here is a sad truth about the Muppets, and Statler and Waldorf in particular. The humor in the old-school Muppets (and on The Muppet Show especially), is not funny. It's broad, vaudeville stuff, using unearned puns and punchlines that don't entirely line-up with the set-up. Statler and Waldorf being dumb and unfunny is totally on-brand for those two. But they are supposed to at least make the jokes. The joke I'm suggesting isn't even that funny or clever. But it's Statler and Waldorf. It doesn't need to be. What is does need to do is exist. This nice, vanilla Statler and Waldorf pair are not cutting it. The show is not cutting it.

Also I realize that the show is geared for toddlers and the messages need to be simple. But does the show need to have a character like Fozzie act like such a stooge to impart that lesson? If it does, then that's a failing of the show. Full stop. 0.

Animal And The Little Accident:

The episode wanted me to be annoyed by Animal for refusing to take a potty break, but I'm annoyed at the other kids for not simply saying they'd take a break too and wait for him to come back. They kept inventing new and more exciting scenarios just as he was about to leave. One thing I remember about being a kid was that "Hold my place," and "Don't do anything while I'm gone" was a thing if one of us needed to briefly duck out for whatever reason. I don't care if they're 6-year-olds, all kids do it. I'm not saying the kids on this show are as ill-mannered as Caillou. But they are in the same bratty ballpark.

One thing I liked was all of the Babies sharing their experiences of accidents with Animal after he felt bad and embarrassed. But for some reason after all that I didn't find Gonzo's story of Potato's accident funny at all. To be honest, Potato is wearing pretty thin at this point.

Better than the first cartoon but so is directly inhaling a cat's fart. *.

Episode overall: 1/2.

SweetShop209

We have 2 episodes airing in May. On May 7, we have "It's Not Easy Being Greeny/Dueling Harmonicas". On May 14, we have "Best In Chicken Show/No Takesies Backsies". This is presumably to tie in with the premiere of fellow Disney Junior series Chicken Squad.

SweetShop209

So we have the description for the new episode airing on April 30. We're introduced to some character names Jill.

Screenshot_20210416-203654.png

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Muppet Babies "Backyard Safari / The Invisible Frog"

Backyard Safari:

Wait, Fozzie says he knows all about animals. Isn't Fozzie an animal? I'm so confused. Probably not the question the show wants to be raising.

I like that Animal calls Sweetums the "Monster Neighbor".

I also like that the tiger tells him bye.

Rozzie is so cute simply because a real little kid voices her.

Cute. ***.

The Invisible Frog:

The Invisible Song was good but the episode was entirely predictable on every level. Even for this show. The last episode followed a formula too but Sweetums was still a nice surprise. This episode just didn't bother attempting anything new with the premise.

For the record, invisibility is the worse superpower you could ever get, for many of the reasons the episode states. But if I were cursed with it, I'd be less concerned about not being able to play basketball, and more with getting accidentally hit by a truck. Which would surely happen on Day One of me having it.

Not feeling it, although the song was catchy. **.

Episode Overall: **1/2.

SweetShop209

Today's Muppet Babies episode "Best Pals Pizza Delivery/Summer Science Penguin" is a pretty good episode. However, I want to talk about the former segment. It's about Kermit and Fozzie adding a delivery service to their pizza place, abd he keeps getting distracted while making pizza boxes when he watches the Wacky Alpacas. The Wacky Alpacas is a 2D show, and he turns into 2D when entering the show. It's pretty cool to see the show in a 2D format. Likewise, at the end of the episode when Kermit delivers the pizza to their friends, Walter and Wanda (the main alpacas) visit the main characters, and they retain their 2D appearances. So it's as entertaining and has a good moral, all helped out by having some good 2D animation. If the Disney Junior YouTube channel puts up a clip from the episode, I'll put it up.

Edit: Someone found a clip.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Muppet Babies "Best Pals Pizza Delivery / Summer Science Penguin"

Best Pals Pizza Delivery:

This version of Kermit is such a slacker. It's the reason I don't like him.

His cartoon version is cute though. Although Walter is super annoying for the same reason Kermit is.

I like that pizzas were ordered by the Chicks, the planet of Green Gonzos, and Potato.

Meh, I say, Meh. **1/2.

Summer Science Penguin:

Jenny Slate has a nice singing voice. I also really liked the animation during the musical number. ***.

Episode Overall: ***.

Eurbane

Today's Muppet Babies episode "Best Pals Pizza Delivery/Summer Science Penguin" is a pretty good episode. However, I want to talk about the former segment. It's about Kermit and Fozzie adding a delivery service to their pizza place, abd he keeps getting distracted while making pizza boxes when he watches the Wacky Alpacas. The Wacky Alpacas is a 2D show, and he turns into 2D when entering the show. It's pretty cool to see the show in a 2D format. Likewise, at the end of the episode when Kermit delivers the pizza to their friends, Walter and Wanda (the main alpacas) visit the main characters, and they retain their 2D appearances. So it's as entertaining and has a good moral, all helped out by having some good 2D animation. If the Disney Junior YouTube channel puts up a clip from the episode, I'll put it up.

Edit: Someone found a clip.

oh yeah, return of the 1984 original animated baby kermit. Great throwback.

zoombie

Well this week's episode introduce an obscure character Jill from Muppets Takes Manhattan, I wonder at this rate the show is introducing new characters, is Clifford ever going to appear. I didn't think that could ever happen, but maybe.

SweetShop209

If someone were to voice Clifford, they'd have to sound very close to Kevin Clash (his only performer), much like how Ben Diskin sounds very close to Steve Whitmire as Rizzo (his only performer). As for Jill, I like the voice Ashley Spillers gives her. She's only had one voice acting job (Pumpkin on Harpy Gee), and sounds pretty believable here as a child.

zoombie

I wonder if this means Bill and Gill will appear in the future. I don't remember, but I believe those three frogs were not related even though they had similar names. And Jill gave no hints that she has any brothers.

Eurbane

If someone were to voice Clifford, they'd have to sound very close to Kevin Clash (his only performer), much like how Ben Diskin sounds very close to Steve Whitmire as Rizzo (his only performer). As for Jill, I like the voice Ashley Spillers gives her. She's only had one voice acting job (Pumpkin on Harpy Gee), and sounds pretty believable here as a child.
since Kevin Clash and Steve Whitmire no longer work for the muppets I think Ryan Dillion will be Clifford and Peter Linz will be Rizzo.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Hi everyone!

I'm Kristóf Laci, who owns the YouTube world, media, and video gaming!
Just cartoons and nothing else!
I inform dear Anime Superheroes users to enter up to 420 characters. Please understand!

Regards and welcome everyone:
Kristóf László
When will people realize that Quintel in J.G. Quintel is actually pronounced "Kintel"? His Portuguese ancestry makes it evident. I for one am Portuguese and Quintel is a very rare surname
Here's the trailer for Wish Dragon.

Since I agreed with @Francisque about keeping the genre-themed MTV channels, here is my rethinking of the ViacomCBS portfolio, posted in Palk Áron 2002's Arts.
I wish a happy 44th birthday to Michael Jelenic.

Featured Posts