'Muppet Babies' (2018) on Disney Junior: News and Discussion Thread

Latest News & Videos

Fone Bone

Hindsight 2020!
Muppet Babies "Win A Twin / Skeeter And The Super Girls"

Win A Twin:

Scooter is nice and all but I gotta say welcome back to the franchise, Skeeter. It's long overdue.

I have a question: If the babies just met this twins in this episode why is their picture in their house in earlier episodes? Hmmm.

More Skeeter, please. ****.

Skeeter And The Super Girls:

Wow, easy wish granted. Two notes.

1. Is this the first time Scooter or Skeeter have taken their glasses off in any medium? Call me crazy but I seem to recall Scooter doing it on the recent Mockumentary, but I'm guessing the reason they don't do it more often is because the characters look super creepy. Let's not do that again, okay, Muppets?

2. Superman wears glasses. Granted, only when he's a civilian and not in costume, but by God it should count for something.

Also fun. ***1/2.

Episode Overall: ****.

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
www.deviantart.com
When looking on Robyn Brown's profile on LinkedIn, it's revealed that she'll be a co-producer for season 3. In season 1, she was a writer. In season 2, she became the story editor.

Screenshot_20200527-195104.png

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
www.deviantart.com
Muppet Mindset Interview With Matt Danner (approximate timestamps)

3:55 He talks about the development for the series, and how the goal is about introducing the Muppets to a new generation of young kids (and even millennial parents). He cites Sesame Street as a launchpad where most people grew up with Kermit.

9:20 He cites Tom Warburton and Chris Moreno as the "parents " of Summer and how they went through many animals before she was a penguin. She was once a sheep named Baba, but this sheep design was leaked.

14:00 He talks about his friendship with Eric Bauza. They were roommates and interns. He also talks about how Eric moved to the US during Coconut Fred.

19:00 He talks about the Playdate shorts, and collaborating with the Muppet performers, and how they had the puppet Kermit hang out with kids. When it comes to dubbing, it's essentially a looping session when it comes to recording the dialogue.

24:05 He mainly did Kermit as scratch before he was called back for other characters. This led to him eventually being called back. He also got at least 6 callbacks. He mentions the physicality of voicing Kermit and Rowlf and so forth, such as how you look down rather than at the puppet or at others. Like the regular Muppet performers, it's about how letting them do their own thing while they have regular voice actors here. He mentions doing regular Rowlf before they pitch him up .

30:30 He mentions how they allude to Sesame Street and Fraggle Rock even when they can't directly refer to them. He also mentions how Skeeter's hair looks a bit like that of Red Fraggle, as well as mentioning that comic she was in. They'll be seen more often as we get into season 3. He mentions how they'll go off the rails with Muppet references in season 3 . The live stream on the host's end konks out for a bit from 33:30-36:45, so Matt takes over for a bit.

38:00 He says how Sweetums was the hardest character to animate and turn into a baby. That's probably why he's only made 2 cameos so far. Plus, as a baby, he should still look cute yet still recognizably huge.

40:50 When animating Nanny, she has a head, but it will never be seen in the show. They'll play around with how you don't see her head.

45:15 For Beaker, he goes "Mee" instead of "Meep". He mentions how his song from "Bunsen Honeydew Show Stopper" was the hardest for him to do.

48:45 He mentions how Muppet Babies looks simple yet is harder to animate, essentially the opposite of how Legend Of The Three Caballeros is animated. He mentions how stuff like how Muppets swimming or getting dirty would be pretty difficult to animate.

50:50 When it comes to background moments and Easter eggs, there's always that personal touch. He cites Statler and Waldorf's statues from "Hatastrophe".

53:50 When it comes to working on an existing property, it's about playing to the strengths of what came before .

Reactions: Fone Bone

Fone Bone

Hindsight 2020!
Muppet Babies "Animal Gets The Sneezies / Library Leapfrog"

Animal Gets The Sneezies:

I don't mind that the show is predictable. I mind that it's cliched and the writing doesn't even try to do anything new. I understand the value of a preschool show not intended to be shared by adults. But I think you can still do a pretty good one without winking to the audience the way Sesame Street does. Sesame Street is an unreasonable expectation of toddler shows. A better example of a great toddler show not designed to appeal to adults is Elena Of Avalor. If that show can put in the effort, a show from Muppet Studios should be better than it is.

The one gag in the cartoon I laughed at has been done before. But Potato quacking whenever he falls over continues to be funny. **1/2.

Library Leapfrog:

This cartoon continues the cliches, but had more redeeming virtues than the first.

To start off with there is something iconic and wonderful about Muppets singing on a bus. Just seeing each of their faces in the windows brings back very good memories.

Secondly, I though Piggy and Summer's designs as space muffins weren't just adorable. They also were hysterical. More of that, please.

The show continues to underwhelm me. ***.

Episode Overall: **1/2.

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
www.deviantart.com
The Cable Forum - Disney Channel July Premieres -- Updated 6/13

This article shows 2 episodes airing in July. On July 10, we have "Animal and the Magic Mummy / The Friends of Zorna Club". On July 24, we have "Secret Agent Double-Oh-Frog / A Tale of Two Twins". It'll be interesting to see what these are about. With this, we'll already be 19 episodes into the season (assuming it's 20 episodes like season 1).

Fone Bone

Hindsight 2020!
Muppet Babies "The Spoon In The Stone / Gonzonocchio"

The Spoon In The Stone:

The entire problem with Summer Penguin is that she's too nice and perfect. The reason the Muppets resonate so much with me is that each of them have a visible and funny character flaw that distinguishes them from each other. Because Summer is so well-behaved she is far more vanilla than a Muppet should ever be.

I was disappointed. **.

Gonzonocchio:

Did I spell that right?

Gonzo's nose growing was a pretty great visual gag. ***.

Episode Overall: **1/2.

Fone Bone

Hindsight 2020!
Muppet Babies "Summer's Big Kerfloofle / Frog Scouts"

Summer's Big Kerfloofle:

This is the Muppet Babies version of Gremlins. Only even more predictable. Which is saying something.

The aliens were cute though. **1/2.

Frog Scouts:

This cartoon was only 11 minutes and I still felt like it was too long. Outside of the Mr. Manny stuff everything else was a drag. *.

Episode Overall: **.

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
www.deviantart.com
I'm not sure which one I like more between "Secret Agent Double O Frog" and "A Tale Of Two Twins". The former is essentially a James Bond parody with a nicely done moral on how giving things away is rewarding even when it's not easy. The latter is essentially an episode that encourages kids to not be afraid to pursue activities outside of gender norms, all while still maintaining a healthy dose of humor and no sexism. The former segment was written by Victor Cook's daughter Hanah Lee Cook.

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
www.deviantart.com
Last edited:

Fone Bone

Hindsight 2020!
Muppet Babies "Animal And The Magic Mummy / The Friends Of Zorna Club"

Animal And The Magic Mummy:

The entire story of the Babies having a fun adventure by touching museum exhibits when you aren't supposed to undercuts the moral that kids shouldn't do that. It's a pretty basic plot flaw that kiddie Henson productions are usually smart enough to avoid. I'm unimpressed this show did not.

Also, I just noticed Statler has ear hair. Eww!

Dumb. *

The Friends Of Zorna Club.

Gonzo is such a little turd throughout this entire cartoon. *.

Episode Overall: *.

Muppet Babies "Secret Agent Double-Oh-Frog / A Tale Of Two Twins"

Secret Agent Double-Oh-Frog:

I liked the James Bond style song, but this episode sort of hit upon a pet peeve of mine. While I understand the need to teach children that a donation can be a toy they don't need anymore, I don't like the fact that too many adults think that too. Instead of giving the needy things they can use, many people treat a donation bin as a trash-bin instead. I understand the moral is a little different for kids who can't exactly afford to donate new toys and clothes. But I don't like the idea of donations being thought of as exclusively as old things you don't need or want anymore.

But the episode was still all right. ***1/2.

A Tale Of Two Twins:

For the record, boy and girl twins are automatically fraternal and therefore NOT identical.

Also for the record, Piggy's Cruella De Vil hairstyle actually looks fabulous.

Cute. ****.

Episode Overall: ***1/2.

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
www.deviantart.com
I saw a description for the upcoming episode airing on August 7 on my TV guide;

Rise Of The Pickler: "Gonzo never says "thank you" when Animal helps him out, leaving him feeling unappreciated."

Friend-a-versary: "Summer and Piggy search for the perfect gift for each other on their friend-a-versary".

Fone Bone

Hindsight 2020!
Muppet Babies "Rise Of The Pickler / Friend-a-versary"

Rise Of The Pickler:

Miss Nanny said she found an extra pickle jar at the end? Those amounts of giant pickles laid out there coulda filled up four jars.

I like that Fozzie wants to be a superhero this time because he likes cookies.

I liked the "Meanwhile at the Fortress of Frogitude!" bit.

Cute. But Gonzo is a jerk. ***1/2.

Friend-a-versary:

Gonzo having walled-eyes as he did the chicken dance was great.

Also great expressions were the pensive looks Piggy and Summer had upon realizing they hadn't thought to get gifts for each other. A LOT of people don't see any value in Muppet cartoons. The fact that these types of subtle expressions are possible in animation (but wouldn't work with puppets) is a real selling point. ***1/2.

Episode Overall: ***1/2.

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
www.deviantart.com
I'm still impressed with Ghia Godfree's episodes. This is the first show she's ever written for, yet still has plenty of great episodes under her belt (a few would be Mystery On The Muppet Express, My Brother Vinny, Wocka By Fozzie, A Tale Of Two Twins, Friend-a-versary, and Spoon In The Stone, just to name a few).

Fone Bone

Hindsight 2020!
Muppet Babies "Sherlock Nose / Block Busters"

Sherlock Nose:

Right before watching this I saw the amazing series finale of Elena of Avalor. I'm not feeling especially forgiving of utterly subpar preschool television. *.

Block Busters:

What'd I just say? This episode is basically 11 minutes of Miss Piggy turning the phrase "attention hog" literal. *.

Episode Overall: *.

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy Linus Van Pelt Day , he was first introduced on this date back in 1952!
It's interesting how today is Batman Day given how Adam West would've turned 92 if he was still alive.
Welcome to the first matchup for this Halloween edition of Media Brackets. Today, we're comparing 2 Nickelodeon Halloween specials that aired on October 13, 2017. They are the SpongeBob episode "Legends Of Bookini Bottom" and The Loud House episode "Tricked".