RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
At this point, I don't understand why Disney doesn't just make the film a Disney+ exclusive. It's entirely possible for theaters to be open by August, but with the recent spike in cases, I have a bad feeling we'll have to shelter in place before August arrives. Or, more things will begin to shut down again. I'm not trying to be negative; I just want to be realistic based on the facts we're currently receiving.

Light Lucario

Staff member
The film just relocated to August 21st, which sounds like enough time for coronavirus cases to start falling after peaking.

It's really not. It took months of sheltering in place just for businesses to start to reopen and as far as I'm aware, the curve hadn't even begun to flatten when that process started. Plus, a lot of states have new all time high number of cases. Waiting another month for theaters to reopen after all of this is just wishful thinking at best.

At this point, I don't understand why Disney doesn't just make the film a Disney+ exclusive. It's entirely possible for theaters to be open by August, but with the recent spike in cases, I have a bad feeling we'll have to shelter in place before August arrives. Or, more things will begin to shut down again. I'm not trying to be negative; I just want to be realistic based on the facts we're currently receiving.

I'm fully expecting going back to square one with with sheltering in place myself. As much as people don't want to do that, we may be forced to do so at this rate. At this point, I think it's highly unlikely for theaters to be open by late August.

My guess as to why Disney doesn't want to put this on Disney+ yet is because they're still hoping for another box office hit like most of their other live action remakes, especially for the International market. Plus, they might not want to ruin their reputation with theater chains. I don't think AMC or any other major theater would refuse to play Disney movies. They have way too many major blockbusters for that to be a plausible move, but I saw a comment elsewhere speculating that AMC cutting ties with Universal was also a warning for Disney and other major studios to not do the same thing.

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
Plus, they might not want to ruin their reputation with theater chains. I don't think AMC or any other major theater would refuse to play Disney movies. They have way too many major blockbusters for that to be a plausible move, but I saw a comment elsewhere speculating that AMC cutting ties with Universal was also a warning for Disney and other major studios to not do the same thing.
That's a really good point that I hadn't thought of. Considering how quick AMC and Regal were to pull Universal films, I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same with Disney, even if it would be a stupid move for their business.

Light Lucario

Staff member
That's a really good point that I hadn't thought of. Considering how quick AMC and Regal were to pull Universal films, I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same with Disney, even if it would be a stupid move for their business.

It would practically guarantee that they'd go bankrupt. While it is problematic that Disney has so much control/impact in the movie industry itself, refusing to play so many popular movie franchises would ruin their business. It would be an incredibly stupid move on their part to pull Disney movies, but so was quickly cutting ties with Universal films given the situation.

WE NEED THE VACCINE! WE NEED THE VACCINE!

We do, but not so that we can go to the movies. We need it so that people can be healthy instead of dealing with a serious illness. Unfortunately, developing a vaccine takes time. They need to make sure it is effective and safe to distribute to the public before they can do anything with it and that takes time.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
My comment from last Tuesday:
I'm just a bit disappointed on that Tenet has had its release date to two weeks later since I was hoping that it would keep its release date and I think Mulan should've had its release date moved to around December plus I actually have a feeling that some major studio will likely beat Mulan to the punch and ultimately become the first film in cinemas post-shutdown but that's just me.
Looks like I was right on that Mulan will be moved and not become the first film in cinemas post-lockdown, though moved to August than in December, along with that Tenet has been moved to August though a week earlier than Mulan.

dth1971

My comment from last Tuesday:

Looks like I was right on that Mulan will be moved and not become the first film in cinemas post-lockdown, though moved to August than in December, along with that Tenet has been moved to August though a week earlier than Mulan.

Let's hope Mulan and Tenet doesn't get pushed to September 2020!

Light Lucario

Staff member
I have a feeling that Light Lucario may say otherwise on this.

Well you're not wrong, although I probably wouldn't have made a comment about this otherwise. At this point, I wouldn't just put any money on theaters reopening this year. I don't think that there's anything wrong in hoping for the outcome to be better sooner rather than later. I would absolutely love it if theaters were perfectly safe now, let alone by August, but I just don't think it's plausible for a number of reasons unfortunately.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I have a feeling that Light Lucario may say otherwise on this.
I have stopped chiming in on this subject because it angers me how few people actually listen to how serious the pandemic is going to be in the long-term. And my anger about that has gotten me in trouble, so I've put the burden of sensibility on @Light Lucario because she's a mod, and knows better than me how the rules of this forum should work. But make no mistake, until a vaccine is widely distributed, movie theaters will not reopen. All of these companies moving their movies back a couple of months are engaging in wishful thinking.

I almost think it's unfair for me to keep expecting Light Lucario to be the voice of reason about this without me piping up and having her back. But I get too upset about the ignorance this subject fosters to be able to argue it rationally. Light Lucario does this much better than me anyways.

dth1971

Well you're not wrong, although I probably wouldn't have made a comment about this otherwise. At this point, I wouldn't just put any money on theaters reopening this year. I don't think that there's anything wrong in hoping for the outcome to be better sooner rather than later. I would absolutely love it if theaters were perfectly safe now, let alone by August, but I just don't think it's plausible for a number of reasons unfortunately.

But if the movie chains don't reopen by Summer 2020's end even if releases keep pushing dates to infinity or something like that - the major chains (AMC, Regal, Cinemark) might file for chapter 11 bankruptcy and then go belly up 100% and it will be the end of movie theatres forever and all 2020 and beyond movies will move straight to PVOD and/or streaming and/DVD/Blu-ray/4K!!! The bankrupt movie chains will be R.I.P. and so will the movie theatres!

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
But if the movie chains don't reopen by Summer 2020's end even if releases keep pushing dates to infinity or something like that - the major chains (AMC, Regal, Cinemark) might file for chapter 11 bankruptcy and then go belly up 100% and it will be the end of movie theatres forever and all 2020 and beyond movies will move straight to PVOD and/or streaming and/DVD/Blu-ray/4K!!! The bankrupt movie chains will be R.I.P. and so will the movie theatres!
This is why I stopped dealing with this crap.

Last edited by a moderator:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I don't remember if I said this before, but why not put it on Disney+ ? I mean, there was no problem making the Lady And The Tramp remake for the service, so they can just put this there.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I don't remember if I said this before, but why not put it on Disney+ ? I mean, there was no problem making the Lady And The Tramp remake for the service, so they can just put this there.

I assume that it comes down to the difference in their budgets. The Lady and the Tramp remake was made with the intent on being on Disney+ from the start. At least I think that was the case when I don't think that the movie was announced before Disney+ was. The Mulan remake was made with theaters in mind, so it most likely does have a higher budget, although I don't think that they confirmed what it it exactly yet. Plus, they'd probably went into the Mulan remake expecting another huge box office hit both domestically and internationally. I can't blame them for hoping that they can still pull it off this year, but I don't think it's going to happen.

They most likely will have to decide on either putting the movie on Disney+ or delaying the movie until next year when theaters are hopefully safer. August isn't going to be any better for theaters than July is at this rate. Not to mention they might be even more dangerous during the fall/winter with flu season in mind.

dth1971

I assume that it comes down to the difference in their budgets. The Lady and the Tramp remake was made with the intent on being on Disney+ from the start. At least I think that was the case when I don't think that the movie was announced before Disney+ was. The Mulan remake was made with theaters in mind, so it most likely does have a higher budget, although I don't think that they confirmed what it it exactly yet. Plus, they'd probably went into the Mulan remake expecting another huge box office hit both domestically and internationally. I can't blame them for hoping that they can still pull it off this year, but I don't think it's going to happen.

They most likely will have to decide on either putting the movie on Disney+ or delaying the movie until next year when theaters are hopefully safer. August isn't going to be any better for theaters than July is at this rate. Not to mention they might be even more dangerous during the fall/winter with flu season in mind.

Unless the vaccine is ready...

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter

According to this article from February, the budget is for this movie 200 million dollars. Yeah, I can see why this was made with theaters in mind.

dth1971

But before the month is over AMC and/or Regal and/or Cinemark may declare bankruptcy and close down all their movie theatres for good! I want the movie theatres and movie theatre chains to reopen before Summer 2020 ends and that's final!!! I think I am going to cry...

And that's why we need a vaccine/cure...

Last edited:

Dr.Pepper

@dth1971 With all due respect, please stop with all this screaming about getting a vaccine and movie theaters going bankrupt. We heard you the first time.

On topic, I would really hate for the movie to go straight to streaming (although by this point that’s probably what is going to happen). It looked too “big” for me to just watch on my iPad.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

WBD announces a Meerkat Manor animated film. In other news, the world suddenly remembers Meerkat Manor exists.
Today marks the 5th Year Anniversary of when the HD Double Pack of Final Fantasy X & X-2 was released on the Nintendo Switch in North America. It was nice to be able to play my favorite Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo system.
Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)

Featured Posts