dth1971

It will never make it.

If movie theatres and movie theatre chains don't reopen by late Spring or early Summer 2020 when COVID-19 subsides and with social distance seating rules and hand sanitizer stations, could Disney try a plan B and take Mulan 2020 to ABC primetime for 1 night followed by streaming on Disney Plus sometime in late Summer 2020?

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
If movie theatres and movie theatre chains don't reopen by late Spring or early Summer 2020 when COVID-19 subsides and with social distance seating rules and hand sanitizer stations, could Disney try a plan B and take Mulan 2020 to ABC primetime for 1 night followed by streaming on Disney Plus sometime in late Summer 2020?
Way too risky.

And cinemas should be able to reopen by late Spring/early Summer. The speculators and opinionators can just back off and be quiet.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Way too risky.

And cinemas should be able to reopen by late Spring/early Summer. The speculators and opinionators can just back off and be quiet.
You have obviously done no research on the subject whatsoever. And I'm not going to be quiet while you downplay a virus that is going to kill millions of people. I'm not required to sit silent for someone spouting ignorant advice that could get people dumb enough to listen to it killed. This is going to be with us, probably for two years. We and the movie business are going to have to adjust accordingly.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Considering that students most likely won't be able to go back to school for the rest of this school year, I don't know about the chances for movie theaters getting ready to reopen during the summer. I can understand why people would want to go back to watching movies in theaters. This is especially difficult for theater owners who don't want to lose more money by having movies delayed or going straight to On Demand. But the priority should be on keeping people safe. Right now, movies will just have to be handled differently for the time being.

I could possibly see Disney making this a Disney+ premiere if they aren't able to have it in theaters by July. That would possibly make them lose more money than they'd like, but this is also Disney. They don't need more money and losing some over yet another live action remake wouldn't be anything more than a dent at worst. It would also drive more people to get their streaming service, which is always a bonus for them.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
Considering that students most likely won't be able to go back to school for the rest of this school year, I don't know about the chances for movie theaters getting ready to reopen during the summer. I can understand why people would want to go back to watching movies in theaters. This is especially difficult for theater owners who don't want to lose more money by having movies delayed or going straight to On Demand. But the priority should be on keeping people safe. Right now, movies will just have to be handled differently for the time being.

I could possibly see Disney making this a Disney+ premiere if they aren't able to have it in theaters by July. That would possibly make them lose more money than they'd like, but this is also Disney. They don't need more money and losing some over yet another live action remake wouldn't be anything more than a dent at worst. It would also drive more people to get their streaming service, which is always a bonus for them.
With all of us humans doing our part now to stay home and flatten the curve, the sooner places, like cinemas, can reopen, at least in time for the summer season. The case numbers in America is expected to peak this month, leading to a drop at the end of it.

With this information, Mulan will be able to come out in theatres this July as planned.

Students, by the way, will be able to head back to school for the next school year starting this fall. For now, there is remote learning for the rest of this school year.

Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member
If cinemas are still shuttered after this summer, the circuits that own them will file for bankruptcy, and may be forced out of business or have locations closed for good. AMC Theatres is already in BIG trouble because of this, and they're expecting to reopen in 6 to 12 weeks from March 17th (when they closed up)! Save moviegoing! Join the cause!

Moviegoing is not more important than human lives. This isn't really the cause to be going after to right now nor should it be considered a cause to begin with. The financial impact of the pandemic could hit theaters really hard, which would be rough on the people who own them. However, the solution shouldn't be to open them as soon as possible regardless of the risks. People losing their jobs as a result of this situation should ideally be financially supported by the government rather than jump to reopen simply because they don't want to lose more money. It isn't going to really help the situation if reopen only for movie theaters to become a health hazard and endanger more people. If more people get sick, there will be less people able to go to the movies. This is an absolutely terrible way to look at the situation and lives in general, but for some people, the prospect of losing customers might be the only thing that makes them realize that they need to close up shop for now.

Elijah Abrams said:
Also, no company wants to lose money over having an extremely expensive movie being moved to streaming. Losing money is B-A-D bad!

Of course losing money is bad for a company. I'm well aware of that, but Disney putting one of their movies to a streaming service instead wouldn't really hurt them. I'm not even sure of this movie would be extremely expensive since I don't know if they revealed the whole budget. It was also partly a jab at Disney being so ridiculously wealthy that one movie premiering on Disney+ instead of theaters wouldn't hurt them in the long run.

Elijah Abrams said:
And by the way, having the pandemic continue in summer would be nasty, because people will want to go to the beach, amusement parks, and in a foreign country, and not stay home. I would end up having to create a "#SaveSummer" tweet storm in the end.

Summer will exist with or without people traveling around. Summer is a season of the year, so traveling doesn't make or break it. I'm sure people will want to travel, but like I said, the priority should be put on keeping people safe. If people travel before it's safe, then they're only going to endanger themselves, other people, including those they care about, and ultimately make the situation worse for everyone. People just need to stay home as much as possible for now and that may include summer as well.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
Moviegoing is not more important than human lives. This isn't really the cause to be going after to right now nor should it be considered a cause to begin with. The financial impact of the pandemic could hit theaters really hard, which would be rough on the people who own them. However, the solution shouldn't be to open them as soon as possible regardless of the risks. People losing their jobs as a result of this situation should ideally be financially supported by the government rather than jump to reopen simply because they don't want to lose more money. It isn't going to really help the situation if reopen only for movie theaters to become a health hazard and endanger more people. If more people get sick, there will be less people able to go to the movies. This is an absolutely terrible way to look at the situation and lives in general, but for some people, the prospect of losing customers might be the only thing that makes them realize that they need to close up shop for now.

Of course losing money is bad for a company. I'm well aware of that, but Disney putting one of their movies to a streaming service instead wouldn't really hurt them. I'm not even sure of this movie would be extremely expensive since I don't know if they revealed the whole budget. It was also partly a jab at Disney being so ridiculously wealthy that one movie premiering on Disney+ instead of theaters wouldn't hurt them in the long run.

Summer will exist with or without people traveling around. Summer is a season of the year, so traveling doesn't make or break it. I'm sure people will want to travel, but like I said, the priority should be put on keeping people safe. If people travel before it's safe, then they're only going to endanger themselves, other people, including those they care about, and ultimately make the situation worse for everyone. People just need to stay home as much as possible for now and that may include summer as well.
I already deleted the comments I made you just replied to. Sorry about that.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
With all of us humans doing our part now to stay home and flatten the curve, the sooner places, like cinemas, can reopen, at least in time for the summer season. The case numbers in America is expected to peak this month, leading to a drop at the end of it.

With this information, Mulan will be able to come out in theatres this July as planned.

Students, by the way, will be able to head back to school for the next school year starting this fall. For now, there is remote learning for the rest of this school year.
Wherever you are getting your information is 100% wrong. Maybe turn off Fox News.

the greenman

I personally believe this will be an issue of heat evaporation. The hottet it gets, less chance of bug surviving. We'll see. I'm well aware this more than a little flu, but the heat will either help destroy it or possibly make it worse.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I personally believe this will be an issue of heat evaporation. The hottet it gets, less chance of bug surviving. We'll see. I'm well aware this more than a little flu, but the heat will either help destroy it or possibly make it worse.

It's not heat, it's UV rays. The longer days will slow the virus's spread. But it's not going away until there's a vaccine. It's going to roar right back in October. And frankly, if heat were actually stopping the disease it wouldn't have had such a huge outbreak in Singapore. And yet it did.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
It's not heat, it's UV rays. The longer days will slow the virus's spread. But it's not going away until there's a vaccine. It's going to roar right back in October. And frankly, if heat were actually stopping the disease it wouldn't have had such a huge outbreak in Singapore. And yet it did.
I ain't roaring back in October, because otherwise it would cancel this year's Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. You're thinking it will kill all the joy and festivities of those seasons.

the greenman

As far as we're told, it was a created bug anyway. I believe the fact that we are aware to stay healthy, will help alot. Though USA is not on full quarantine like China was a few months ago. We're talking, if you leave your house you get captured and locked up into isolation chambers. Some people in China died of starvation. We in the US haven't gotten that bad quite yet.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I ain't roaring back in October, because otherwise it would cancel this year's Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. You're thinking it will kill all the joy and festivities of those seasons.
Man, you are so wrongheaded. You actually think this virus operates under your timetable.

Serious question for international members of this board: Do you have these kind of people in your societies who believe things will always wind up in reality aligned with their personal interests? Because I think that might be a singularly American problem. We have a lot of built in advantages over the virus including the fact that most of the country is spaced out compared to Asia and Europe. But we have people creating their own reality based on their selfish wants and desires and that kind of ignorance is why those dumbass Florida teenagers went to spring break and brought the virus back with them all over the country. I'm not saying that other countries don't have their share of dopes. I'm just wondering if for people in other countries if the denialism is quite so entrenched. I actually find it quite frightening.

As far as we're told, it was a created bug anyway. I believe the fact that we are aware to stay healthy, will help alot. Though USA is not on full quarantine like China was a few months ago. We're talking, if you leave your house you get captured and locked up into isolation chambers. Some people in China died of starvation. We in the US haven't gotten that bad quite yet.

It wasn't a created bug. That's nonsense. Maybe I'm misreading your post. But COVID is NOT a bioweapon if only because sinister countries don't create bioweapons that will only kill 2% of the countries they are unleashed on.

But you are right that China went to scary lengths to flatten the curve. Frankly, I don't think those are lengths ANY country should go to.

The second half of your post is so sensible I'm convinced I must have misread the first half.

the greenman

Man, you are so wrongheaded. You actually think this virus operates under your timetable.

Serious question for international members of this board: Do you have these kind of people in your societies who believe things will always wind up in reality aligned with their personal interests? Because I think that might be a singularly American problem. We have a lot of built in advantages over the virus including the fact that most of the country is spaced out compared to Asia and Europe. But we have people creating their own reality based on their selfish wants and desires and that kind of ignorance is why those dumbass Florida teenagers went to spring break and brought the virus back with them all over the country. I'm not saying that other countries don't have their share of dopes. I'm just wondering if for people in other countries if the denialism is quite so entrenched. I actually find it quite frightening.

It wasn't a created bug. That's nonsense. Maybe I'm misreading your post. But COVID is NOT a bioweapon if only because sinister countries don't create bioweapons that will only kill 2% of the countries they are unleashed on.

But you are right that China went to scary lengths to flatten the curve. Frankly, I don't think those are lengths ANY country should go to.

The second half of your post is so sensible I'm convinced I must have misread the first half.
It's called "novel" which means created. I am old enough to have lived through this the 1st time just like SARS.

I will stop on this.

As for Mulan, I am curious to see this compared to the Chinese version. I know it will add fantasy anyway, but the actors are classic.

Actually, these films I've bolded divided critics, not panned by them except Through the Looking Glass. That sequel was critically panned, not critically divisive.

The divide appears to be among casual moviegoers and professional critics. All those movies are classified as rotten on Rotten Tomatoes and have a average median score in the 40 and 50 percentile range on Metacritic. That would suggest that even the more positive critics gave them barely passing grades. But the audience scores and reviews for the digital, blu-ray, and dvd releases are much more positive with some people saying they are top tier and near perfect films.

As for the July release date I'm not so sure it's going to stick. Movie studios and sports leagues are hoping that things will go back to normal by summer buts that not really realistic. A vaccine isn't going to be suddenly created and distributed to everyone in a mere 3 months time and a ton of people won't even have the funds to go to the theater due to being out of work.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
As for the July release date I'm not so sure it's going to stick. Movie studios and sports leagues are hoping that things will go back to normal by summer buts that not really realistic. A vaccine isn't going to be suddenly created and distributed to everyone in a mere 3 months time and a ton of people won't even have the funds to go to the theater due to being out of work.
Okay, first of all, vaccine or not, things will go back to normal. The United States is now in the peak of case numbers, and Italy and Spain are seeing said numbers starting to slow in growth. Second, the US government is planning to provide relief to the unemployed.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Maybe we should save this debate for the coronavirus thread and revert back to discussing the Mulan remake?
That thread is for sharing information and experiences, not debate. And if someone posts bad information on the subject elsewhere, I'm going to correct them.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts