Mulan (2020 Live Action Remake) News & Discussion Thread

Latest News & Videos

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
Well I figured that was bound to happen after the same thing happened to Tetent and especially with the cases going up in many states. As of yesterday, I believe that California, the state that I live in, surpass New York with having the highest number of cases in the country, so theaters reopening or really resuming any kind of on location shooting would be an absolute disaster.

Constantly pushing back theatrical releases obviously wasn't viable. Even if cases weren't increasing, theaters aren't going to be safe for a long time and I'm sure that planning out new dates only to push them back again was too expensive as well. While I doubt that Disney will put this movie in particular on Disney+, they might consider doing that with some of their other movies slated for this year.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
Probably the safest bet would be to release the movie next summer. Even then, that would be stretching it.
Yeah, at this rate, I don't know when it would be plausible to release movies in theaters. Next summer would give them a bit more wiggle room than this fall, but it's just hard to say. Unless there are viable treatment options or an actual vaccine, theaters just aren't a good way to release movies for the foreseeable future.

RainbowCupcake

I sawed this boat in half!
Dec 3, 2017
United States
When I created this thread a year ago, I never guessed that the movie would be delayed indefinitely due to a worldwide health emergency. Funny how things turn out.

Anyway, the announcement is disappointing but understandable. I'd rather see a Disney+ release at this point personally, but I understand that would probably cause Disney to lose money. I sure hope we are at a safe place to open theaters next summer, but no one can say if that will be possible. Whatever happens, I'm looking forward to finally watching the movie no matter how long it takes.

Reactions: SweetShop209

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
Well, I would say during this Christmas than next summer but if it does get moved to next year, then I could see it getting released during Chinese New Year.
I don't know about Christmas. It's a bit more plausible compared to expecting to have theaters reopened in August, but I don't think that any theater release date this year would be a safe bet this year. Chinese New Year would probably be too early into next year for it to be safe, although that timing would be neat for the movie.

But what if movie chains AMC, Cinemark, and Regal never reopen and go bankrupt and close down forever? Why didn't Disney decide to take Mulan live action to Disney Plus - Same for New Mutants?
Movie theater chains going bankrupt is a sad possibility, but they can't really reopen before it's safe. They shouldn't value money and profit over the health and safety of their customers. As for why Disney didn't put the movie on Disney+, they most likely want to make more money off of the movie. Their live action remakes make a lot of money and putting it on VOD wouldn't be as profitable, especially if they want to get more money from their international audience. A lot of studios are holding onto their big movies for another year or delaying them completely because they're waiting for theaters to be safe. We probably won't see any Marvel or DC movies released VOD unless the studios are really desperate to make some more money. I could see that happen for a few reasons, but since they don't want to potentially ruin their relationships with theaters, they'll probably safe that as a last resort.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
That was an interesting article and it definitely covers all of the key points pretty well. Some small scale movies and family animated features can do well on Digital, but most studios probably don't to risk putting out the movies that they spent millions of dollars hoping for those big billion dollar box office results to make a profit. Not to mention they probably don't want to risk ruining their relationship with other theater chains. Mulan in particular would be expected to turn out a good profit both domestically and internationally too.

Admittedly, I'm not sure how many theater chains will be able to survive at this rate. I don't think that going to a movie theater will be safe until next year at best, but movie studios and theaters are in a tricky spot to say the least.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
Honestly, I'm kind of surprised by this. I didn't think that Disney would release Mulan outside of theaters, but it does make sense. They obviously want to make more money and this also could make more people sign up for Disney+, so it's a win win for them. Thirty dollars is pretty high for a VOD release, but it is a deal compared to what I imagine most families have to pay for movie tickets. Plus, after having to delay the movie multiple times, they might have wanted to find some way to make money off of it. I'm still not sure about how safe theaters are in other countries though.

Despite Chapek's claims, I really can't see this being a one-off deal. If Mulan does really well for Disney+, I could see them releasing a few more movies this way. I don't know about their Marvel movies. Since Marvel is such a huge hit for Disney, they may want to hold those close until theaters are safe to reopen, although that doesn't look too plausible anytime soon. I'm positive that they'll put Pixar's Soul on Disney+ in the fall though. November is not going to be safe for theaters, especially with schools being forced to reopen and flu season right around the corner too, and I'm sure families would be willing to spend the money for a new Pixar title too.

Dr.Pepper

Sep 10, 2006
In A House
Like I said in the other thread, I’d be lying if I said I’m happy with this. I fully understand why Mulan is skipping the theaters, but I’m just sad about it. It seemed like too big of a movie to just watch on my iPad. Also I was really looking forward to seeing it with my friend who is a huge fan of the original.

Also $30 is a pretty steep price. I know it’s a steal if you have a large family, but if you a solitary person on your own, that’s a lot for a rental.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
Yeah, thirty dollars is a lot if you're just going to watch the movie by yourself without your family or friends. I don't have Disney+ and unless they announce something like a new season of Gargoyles, I'm not going to sign up for it anytime soon. I already have enough streaming services at the moment. If I do watch this movie, it will probably be when I can rent it off of iTunes or YouTube for a cheaper price.

I can understand being sad over missing out on the theater experience here too. Movie theaters just sadly aren't safe or a viable option anymore. I'm sure it was a waste of time and money to give Mulan new release dates for theaters only to keep pushing it back. Disney would either have to put Mulan on the self for at least another year, quite possibly even longer at this rate, or just release it on Disney+ now. They could easily afford to wait, but Disney wouldn't want to miss out on more money.

If Trolls World Tour could be a success through the VOD release method, then a big live action Disney movie remake could easily get just as much, if not more, success on their own streaming service. The fact that the Mulan live action remake was set to come out just before the quarantine hit probably makes more people interested it as well.

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
I'm just disappointed about this because I was hoping that this film would follow what Warner Bros. is doing with Tenet. I mean this film costs around $200 million, which I think is too costly for it to relegated to the service plus it was confirmed that the film will be released in cinemas in some countries (i.e. those that do not have the service, like China).
Despite Chapek's claims, I really can't see this being a one-off deal. If Mulan does really well for Disney+, I could see them releasing a few more movies this way.
I'm going to disagree on that since I don't think they're going to do the same with Soul and Black Widow at all. I know, I know, it's understandable why they did this but the reason why I don't think it makes sense is due to the high rental price, either for one person or for a family. It made sense for Artemis Fowl since that film wasn't going to be a hit they hoped for, especially with the poor response of the trailer but this is one of their riskiest decisions and they've spent so much money in marketing for the film prior to this.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
I'm just disappointed about this because I was hoping that this film would follow what Warner Bros. is doing with Tenet. I mean this film costs around $200 million, which I think is too costly for it to relegated to the service plus it was confirmed that the film will be released in cinemas in some countries (i.e. those that do not have the service, like China).
The film's budget is probably one other reason why the VOD price is pretty high too. I'm not sure if just putting the movie in foreign theaters would have been the best idea. Not only because of how unsafe and unreliable theaters are in general, but also because they might not get as much box office money. I assume any theaters that have been reopened would still have a limited number of people within a room, so that would mean less tickets per showing than usual.

AdrenalineRush1996 said:
I'm going to disagree on that since I don't think they're going to do the same with Soul and Black Widow at all. I know, I know, it's understandable why they did this but the reason why I don't think it makes sense is due to the high rental price, either for one person or for a family. It made sense for Artemis Fowl since that film wasn't going to be a hit they hoped for, especially with the poor response of the trailer but this is one of their riskiest decisions and they've spent so much money in marketing for the film prior to this.
I did specifically say that they may hold onto their Marvel movies since that's such a huge property for Disney. Plus, it might be awhile before they're able to safely film anything, let alone whatever is supposed to come out after Black Widow, so that might make them want to hold onto some big titles longer. I don't think it would be a stretch to see them release Marvel movies on Disney+, but I think that would be more of a last resort option. Their live action remakes have been really successful, but I don't think that they've been as huge as their Marvel movies. Although, I'm pretty sure more people would be willing to spend thirty dollars on Marvel movies than on this Mulan remake.

Soul, on the other hand, is much more likely by comparison. As much as people want theaters to reopen, it isn't going to happen this year, let alone by November. Cases are still increasing, it's going to sadly get worse with schools being forced to reopen and there is still the increase danger with flu season. They might just delay Soul into next year instead, but if Mulan turns in a noticeable profit for its Disney+ release, Disney will most likely put Soul on their streaming service too. It still might be more of last option than something they'll jump to and releasing Mulan on VOD is still a pretty huge test, but I could see Disney releasing some more movies like this if it is profitable enough. The rental price is pretty high, but I'm pretty sure it costs more than thirty dollars for a family of four to go to a movie theater.

Pooky

Jul 14, 2010
UK
I suspect a large part of the reason this was made was on the assumption that this would be a huge hit in China, where this is (seemingly) still going to be released in theatres, so I think it makes some sense. I would be surprised if other high budget Disney productions go the same way, but we'll see.

TheJLeeTeam

Slacker Musketeer
Sep 9, 2018
USA
$30 on top of the $7.99 monthly? Oof. That must mean the film is Really high budget. Disney is certainly taking a risk, they have a good amount of subscribers already. ATM I haven’t considered subscribing to Disney+(I have HBO Max already). But since I definitely prefer animated over the live action adaptations I think I’ll skip it.

Reactions: RainbowCupcake

RainbowCupcake

I sawed this boat in half!
Dec 3, 2017
United States
Hm. Well, I'm glad the film is finally being released online, but $30 for a rental? Yeah, no thanks. I was looking forward to seeing this in theaters for a while, but at this point I don't really care anymore. I'll just wait a year or so and see if it eventually comes to Disney+ for free.