Mulan (2020 Live Action Remake) News & Discussion Thread

Latest News & Videos

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
The divide appears to be among casual moviegoers and professional critics. All those movies are classified as rotten on Rotten Tomatoes and have a average median score in the 40 and 50 percentile range on Metacritic. That would suggest that even the more positive critics gave them barely passing grades.
Well, fair enough.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Mod Note: From this point on, any post that digresses too off-topic like discussing the specifics of what is going on in the covid-19 pandemic rather than its direct impact on Mulan will be deleted and a poke will be issued and if necessary, infractions and/or a temporary thread closure. This is a notice and is not up for debate. Do not reply and continue talking about Mulan or sharing new news about. Thank you.

Terror of Death

Aug 1, 2007
US
Apparently Mulan will have a love interest in the film, they just decided not to advertise it in the trailers.

Similar to his animated counterpart, Honghui meets Mulan's male alter ego, Hua Jun, at training camp. (As fans of the story know, Mulan enlists in the Chinese army as a man, in order to take the place of her ailing father.) His relationship with Mulan also evolves pretty similarly to that of the animated film, in that it's far from love at first sight. "They start off on the wrong foot," the actor says. "As they progress through the trainings together, they kind of have this unspoken bond about it because they recognize each other's warrior spirit."

As far as Li Shang's reputation as a bisexual hero, Yoson is ready to inherit that title with pride. In the years since Mulan's release in 1998, Li Shang has been embraced by the LGBTQ community for falling in with Mulan when she is still pretending to be a man. It was his status as a bisexual Disney icon that initially led to some backlash when fans found out Li Shang wouldn't be part of the live action reboot. But they shouldn't have worried. Reed confirmed that Mulan and Honghui's relationship would "play the same as it does in the animated [film]," though he noted that it wouldn't be any more overt than in the original version. And, when asked if he was ready to become an LGBTQ icon, Yoson answered with a very confident, "Yes I am."

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
Apparently Mulan will have a love interest in the film, they just decided not to advertise it in the trailers.

Still think they should've kept Shang for this than replacing him with someone similar as I don't agree with what one of the producers explained why he was written out of this.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
Jul 29, 2017
Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
This analyst thinks that the movie should skip theatres and go to PVOD and Disney+, which sounds like a TERRIBLE idea, because the film costed $200 million to make!
They may not have much of a choice. As much as theaters understandably hope to reopen later this summer, it still might not work out for a number of reasons. It isn't going to be safe going to theaters for quite some time. Even if they do reopen by July, that might not help them as much as they'd like. They're still going to have to limit how many people enter a theater, find some way to keep people apart instead of sitting all crammed together, clean the theaters in between screenings, most likely have fewer screenings in order to have more time to properly and they're going to have to increase the ticket prices in order to make up for having fewer people in a theater.

Some people will be happy and willing to go into a theater to find some sense of normalcy and escapism, which I can totally understand, but plenty of people won't go out of fear and not having enough money to spend on increased ticket prices. I wouldn't go to a movie theater even if I was paid to do so. I don't think that theaters would be able to properly clean everything between screenings and I definitely don't feel comfortable being in a room with a bunch of total strangers at this point. I'm already nervous when people don't stay six feet away from me when I go out for a walk and even more so if they aren't wearing a mask. Theaters are going suffer a lot due to this situation and it's hard to say if they can recover.

In the case of Mulan, it cost a lot for Disney to make it, but Disney is still a huge giant company. They obviously don't want to lose millions of dollars, although I don't know if that is the confirmed budget for this movie, but they can afford it. If they want to make a profit off of it, their best bet is either waiting until next year to see if theaters are safer or putting it on a VOD instead of directly on Disney+. That's generally what most studios are trying to do now. While it's hard to say how the rest of the year will look movie going wise, I wouldn't put any bets on theaters being able to reopen within the foreseeable future.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
They may not have much of a choice. As much as theaters understandably hope to reopen later this summer, it still might not work out for a number of reasons. It isn't going to be safe going to theaters for quite some time. Even if they do reopen by July, that might not help them as much as they'd like. They're still going to have to limit how many people enter a theater, find some way to keep people apart instead of sitting all crammed together, clean the theaters in between screenings, most likely have fewer screenings in order to have more time to properly and they're going to have to increase the ticket prices in order to make up for having fewer people in a theater.

Some people will be happy and willing to go into a theater to find some sense of normalcy and escapism, which I can totally understand, but plenty of people won't go out of fear and not having enough money to spend on increased ticket prices. I wouldn't go to a movie theater even if I was paid to do so. I don't think that theaters would be able to properly clean everything between screenings and I definitely don't feel comfortable being in a room with a bunch of total strangers at this point. I'm already nervous when people don't stay six feet away from me when I go out for a walk and even more so if they aren't wearing a mask. Theaters are going suffer a lot due to this situation and it's hard to say if they can recover.

In the case of Mulan, it cost a lot for Disney to make it, but Disney is still a huge giant company. They obviously don't want to lose millions of dollars, although I don't know if that is the confirmed budget for this movie, but they can afford it. If they want to make a profit off of it, their best bet is either waiting until next year to see if theaters are safer or putting it on a VOD instead of directly on Disney+. That's generally what most studios are trying to do now. While it's hard to say how the rest of the year will look movie going wise, I wouldn't put any bets on theaters being able to reopen within the foreseeable future.
The question is how much marketing Disney has done. If there are toys and promotions ready to go it makes sense to go the VOD route. That's why Trolls and Scoob needed to hit when they did. If not Disney is probably better off waiting until the pandemic is over.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
The question is how much marketing Disney has done. If there are toys and promotions ready to go it makes sense to go the VOD route. That's why Trolls and Scoob needed to hit when they did. If not Disney is probably better off waiting until the pandemic is over.
I don't think that I've seen or heard of any Mulan toys based on the remake. I wouldn't be surprised if there were or if they were in the middle of making them, but since they won't have Mushu and the remake looked to be more serious than the original movie, I'm not sure if they would have a lot of toys based around it. They might have spent a bit for promotion, but I also don't recall seeing that many ads for the remake. Waiting until they can safely put the movie in theaters would make sense. It's going to take awhile before movies and shows can be filmed safely again too, so they might not want to just release everything they already basically finished before being able to fully work on other productions.

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
This analyst thinks that the movie should skip theatres and go to PVOD and Disney+, which sounds like a TERRIBLE idea, because the film costed $200 million to make!
Man, just let it go with that. You said the same about the possibility of Sponge on the Run being relegated to streaming after so many release date changes as well as wanting Jeff Shell fired from his position at Universal because of his comments that ticked off AMC and Regal enough to blacklist the studio from releasing their upcoming films in their cinemas.

Dr.Pepper

Sep 10, 2006
In A House
I can totally see Mulan going straight to VOD but I’d be lying if I said I will be happy with that. I was really looking forward to seeing it with my friend who is a big fan of the original. I honestly feel like if I’m going to spend $20 to watch a movie, it better come with the movie theater experience.

RainbowCupcake

Put that thing back where it came from!
Dec 3, 2017
United States
I can totally see Mulan going straight to VOD but I’d be lying if I said I will be happy with that. I was really looking forward to seeing it with my friend who is a big fan of the original. I honestly feel like if I’m going to spend $20 to watch a movie, it better come with the movie theater experience.
I'm hoping it will become a Disney+ exclusive so that way, people who already own the service won't have to shell out an extra $20.