Mulan (2020 Live Action Remake) News & Discussion Thread

Latest News & Videos

Radiant97

froggers
Feb 3, 2018
Adult TikTok House
'Mulan': Why Captain Li Shang Isn't in the Live-Action Remake

SO the reason they excluded Li Shang is this quote: “I think particularly in the time of the #MeToo movement, having a commanding officer that is also the sexual love interest was very uncomfortable and we didn’t think it was appropriate.” What a dumb reason.
Huh? What the hell? He only started having feelings for her at the end of the movie... after she'd already left the freaking army, meaning there's no unbalanced power dynamic at play. Plus, as long as Li Shang doesn't force himself on Mulan, then there's absolutely no correlation between their relationship and the #MeToo movement which largely concerns consent and abuse of power. Are they so focused on scoring brownie points that they checked their common sense at the studio entrance? I've seen many instances of fake corporate wokeness but this is the fakest, most misguided, disingenuous, and out of touch of them all.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Hindsight 2020!
Huh? He only started having feelings for her at the end of the movie... after she already left the freaking army. Plus, if Li Shang has Mulan's consent, then there's absolutely no correlation between this and the #MeToo movement, because consent is what that movement is all about! Are they so focused on scoring woke brownie points that they forgot a thing called common sense? I've seen many instances of corporate fake wokeness but this is the most idiotic of them all. Can't believe people still buy into their crap.
While your idea that Shang only having feelings for her after leaving the army is completely valid, consent doesn't really enter into it if she hadn't. It's an unbalanced power dynamic. Monica Lewinsky gave Bill Clinton her consent, and it was still creepy and wrong because he was her boss and the most powerful man in the world.

All that being said, the idea that Shang only developed feelings for her after she left is the only argument you need. I had totally forgotten about that.

RainbowCupcake

I sawed this boat in half!
Dec 3, 2017
United States
So how do you guys think it will be received by critics and how much would it gross? I can't see it getting even 50% on RT.
With all the factors that are playing into this movie (no Shang or Mushu, no songs (?), Coronavirus affecting box-office, PG-13 rating, etc.), I see the possibility of this movie bombing. I think ~50% on RT isn't a bad guess at this point. But who knows? Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
On one hand, I can kind of see what they meant about making the captain the love interest being inappropriate. Having a relationship with such a different kind of power dynamic can be a problem. It would be like an employee starting a relationship with their boss. But all of that is pretty moot considering that Mulan and Shang don't even become a couple until the end of the movie after she left the army and saved China. It just seems like a huge misunderstanding of what the #MeToo movement is about, especially when I've never heard any complaints about their relationship compared to a lot of other Disney couples.

Terror of Death

Aug 1, 2007
US
The disney live action remakes/sequels are 50/50 when it comes to whether critics like them or not. Cinderella, The Jungle Book, Beauty & the Beast, Pete's Dragon, Christopher Robin and Lady & The Tramp received mostly positive scores on rotten tomatoes. But Aladdin, both Maleficent films, both Alice in Wonderland films, Lion King, and Dumbo were panned.

I think critics will lean more on the positive side for Mulan. It appears like it will use the least amount of cg of the live action remakes so far and some reviewers seem burned out on Disney's over reliance on it. Also, we don't get too many non foreign films with female asian leads and asian leads in general in North America. Critics usually like diverse films so even if they dislike some elements of Mulan they won't want to be too critical.

On the producers comments, trying to connect their relationship to the metoo movement is definitely bizarre. I could kind of understand their reasoning for excluding him if Li Shang was portrayed as much older than Mulan or he spent the film using using coercion tactics or his rank to get Mulan to fall in love with him. But that wasn't really the case for the animated films from what I recall. There are instances of business owners and military personnel marrying their subordinates and starting a family that doesn't always end in disaster or some huge scandal.

Also, they could have easily made Li Shang a captain in a different division of the army and they help each other out but he doesn't directly give Mulan orders. Or they could have made them both start out with the same rank and Mulan is the one promoted to captain or general at some point in the film. They are already diverging so much from the animated film so changing Li Shang's character a little wouldn't be some herculean task.

RainbowCupcake

Dec 3, 2017
United States
The disney live action remakes/sequels are 50/50 when it comes to whether critics like them or not. Cinderella, The Jungle Book, Beauty & the Beast, Pete's Dragon, Christopher Robin and Lady & The Tramp received mostly positive scores on rotten tomatoes. But Aladdin, both Maleficent films, both Alice in Wonderland films, Lion King, and Dumbo were panned.
Replace Aladdin with Pete's Dragon and this would match my personal Disney remake opinion list.

On the producers comments, trying to connect their relationship to the metoo movement is definitely bizarre. I could kind of understand their reasoning for excluding him if Li Shang was portrayed as much older than Mulan or he spent the film using using coercion tactics or his rank to get Mulan to fall in love with him. But that wasn't really the case for the animated films from what I recall.
100% agree. I know that in this era, we need to be careful with how certain relationships are portrayed. But really? I don't see how Shang's relationship with Mulan in the original movie was "inappropriate." I know that there were some fans who were upset that Mulan had a love interest in the first place, but love isn't a bad thing. Women can still be strong and independent while having a man in their lives!

Reactions: Terror of Death

RainbowCupcake

Dec 3, 2017
United States

Terror of Death

Aug 1, 2007
US
Early impressions were generally positive and it was projected to make around 80-90 million opening weekend. Curious to see how the delay might help or hurt the box office and critical reception when it's eventually released.

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
The Disney live action remakes/sequels are 50/50 when it comes to whether critics like them or not. Cinderella, The Jungle Book, Beauty & the Beast, Pete's Dragon, Christopher Robin and Lady & The Tramp received mostly positive scores on rotten tomatoes. But Aladdin, both Maleficent films, both Alice in Wonderland films, Lion King, and Dumbo were panned.
Actually, these films I've bolded divided critics, not panned by them except Through the Looking Glass. That sequel was critically panned, not critically divisive.

Reactions: mulanfan