Mulan (2020 Live Action Remake) News & Discussion Thread

Latest News & Videos

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
I remember reading about this that they might not include any of the songs or Mushu. If he were in it I kinda think they would've featured him in the trailer.

Reactions: mulanfan

Radiant97

#ReleaseTheKraken
Feb 3, 2018
The Deep End
I respect their decision to stay more faithful to the original Chinese Mulan story as oppose to the 1998 movie, even if it comes at the expense of a few things we know and love from the latter (the songs, Mushu, Li Shang, etc.). At least we can rest assured that this won't be a boring beat-by-beat remake.

Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
That teaser trailer was admittedly pretty cool. I am a bit mixed on seemingly not including aspects from the 1998 movie. Most of the songs are really good and I like her relationship with Li Shang too. I'm a bit more okay with removing Mushu. I liked him in the original movie, but I don't think he would fit in that well within a live action version and I don't think he's nearly as beloved compared to Genie to where they'd want to include him for fan appeal.

But the trailer itself looked pretty impressive and it looked pretty intense compared to their other live action remakes. At least it sounds like it won't be another shot for shot remake, which is always nice.

SpaceCowboy

Mar 2, 2002
USA
Visit site
It looks like one of Zhang Yimou's epics (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) but without the acrobatics and the actors are speaking English. Blasphemy!

Last edited:

RainbowCupcake

Put that thing back where it came from!
Dec 3, 2017
United States
According to the MPAA website, the live action remake of Mulan will be rated PG-13. It's the first live action remake to be given this rating.

Whaaa...?

Well that's... unexpected.

Looks like the movie will be more violent than I anticipated.

Personally I feel like that rating will turn off people, but maybe that opinion only belongs to me.

Nov 20, 2019
Serbia
www.twitch.tv
The film's gonna flop. I'm not going to see it.
Yeah with China closing cinemas due to virus outbreak there, some nasty stuff said by the main actress, having removing some major characters and a really big budget of 300 million dollars, it is going to be hard for this movie not to become a box office bomb.

I mean, it will probably need to make 750 million dollars to break even, which is no easy feat.

Reactions: RainbowCupcake

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
Yeah with China closing cinemas due to virus outbreak there, some nasty stuff said by the main actress, having removing some major characters and a really big budget of 300 million dollars, it is going to be hard for this movie not to become a box office bomb.

I mean, it will probably need to make 750 million dollars to break even, which is no easy feat.
Link to nasty stuff said by the main actress? What did she say?

SkyPikachu

Feb 11, 2020
AU

If they have a budget of 300 million won't they need to only make 300 million to break even?

Reactions: mulanfan
Nov 20, 2019
Serbia
www.twitch.tv
Link to nasty stuff said by the main actress? What did she say?
Liu Yifei, actress who plays Mulan in Mulan 2020, said that she supported Hong Kong Police brutality. Here is the link.

If they have a budget of 300 million won't they need to only make 300 million to break even?
Actually you need a lot more to break even. Generally to not be considered a box office bomb nowadays, the movie needs to earn at least somewhere between 2-3 times it's budget. 300 million budget is only counting production budget, but there is also marketing budget, not all the tickets go to studios that make the said movie and then there is a hope to make any profit at all.
Here is a recent example: Justice League 2017 made 657 million dollars against a 300 million dollar budget, but it still caused Warner Bros to lose 60 million dollars because it didn't break even (it needed to break at least 750 million dollars to break even).

Terror of Death

Aug 1, 2007
US
Yeah, I don't think this is going to be a box office hit domestically. Asian action films typically do poorly or at best are small successes in North America. And fans of the animated film might be turned off by all the changes.

I would love to be wrong though since it might result in Hollywood taking more chances on big budget asian led films. And Disney might be more inclined to put more effort into their remakes.