Movies Defined By One Scene

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
So I watched Ghost (1990) today- I'd never seen it before and the only thing I knew going in was the famous pottery scene that's been referenced and parodied. The funny thing is, that scene is probably only a minute of screen time. There's a LOT more to the movie than just some Patrick Swayze ghost seducing Demi Moore while she does pottery.

Now I know what you're thinking: "No duh, that'd be a pretty thin movie if that's all it was." But that's the scene everyone remembers, and what everyone first brings up whenever this movie is referenced or parodied.

I'll give you another example. A little older. From Here to Eternity. Scene everyone remembers? A couple passionately kissing on the beach while waves wash over them. Again, that's only about thirty seconds. The main movie takes place on a military barracks, which you wouldn't know if you only have knowledge of that famous scene.

Then there's The Crying Game. Everyone and their grandma knows about the gender reveal. But there's a lot more that happens after that moment. But that's all anyone who isn't a film critic or movie buff knows about it, to the point where some assume the whole movie is about a gender reveal, when it isn't.

What are some examples you can think of where you watch a movie, only knowing about its most famous scene, and are surprised how the movie subverted your expectations?

stephane dumas

The flying DeLorean at the end of Back to the Future where Doc Brown said "We're we going, we don't need roads".

Duel, when we said that old dusty Peterbuilt truck appearing in the beginning of the movie, you guessed there was more than meet the eyes and the truck driver is up to something not good.

Police Academy, when Larwell Jones (Michael Winslow) appear for the first time doing some good sounds imitation at the police precint.

Pooky

Staff member
In 1985 a not inconsiderable amount of people went to see a film with that shiny new PG-13 rating called Ghoulies, being promised a "Gremlins-type" romp (sources vary on to what extent it was or wasn't a rip-off) by a humorous image from the poster and TV spots which featured one of the little tykes popping out of the toilet, accompanied by the tagline "They'll get you in the end". Those who turned up were generally disappointed to find a slow, cheap and rather nasty film, even/much less appropriate for children than Gremlins, that didn't seem in keeping with the advertisement. But 40 years later I think all pretty much anyone remembers about the film is that single image. Heck, I think the only thing anyone remembers about all 4 of the Ghoulies movies is that image. They probably don't even remember that the first co-stars a young Mariska Hargitay or that the second had a tie-in music video by the band W.A.S.P.!

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Here's another one: Flashdance. All everyone remembers from the movie is the "She's a MANIAC, MANIAC, on the floooor!" followed by dumping water on herself. Again, there's a lot more to the movie than those bits.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Basic Instinct isn't a scene as much as it is a single second.

Why, whatever scene could you be referring to? Oh right, this one...
maxresdefault.jpg

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Some Like it Hot may be Marilyn Monroe’s most beloved movie, but Jack Lemmon has its most iconic scene, at the very end. If you haven’t seen it, I won’t spoil the punchline.

The flying DeLorean at the end of Back to the Future where Doc Brown said "We're we going, we don't need roads".
I feel like Back to the Future is remembered for more than just that scene.

stephane dumas

I feel like Back to the Future is remembered for more than just that scene.
And the same could be said about Tommy Boy, it's hard to choose between the scenes where Chris Farley and David Spade sing the Carpenters Supertar, when the deer destroy the car and when Chris Farley sing "Fat guy in a little coat". ^_^;

Mejo

Just a standard Fox going about in the Wild West
Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2 - GARBAGE DAY

Independence Day - The aliens' destruction of the White House

Rocky - Rocky running up those stairs

The Empire Strikes Back:
NO I AM YOUR FATHER

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Why is it automatically assumed that if a person were to suddenly gain super powers they'll put on tights and either immediately decide to save the world or conquer/destroy it?
the sports junkie in me really loves playing Sports Reference's Immaculate Grid games. nice way to start off each morning.
Whenever I watch the RiffTrax version of The Apple, I get that "Hey, Hey, Hey, BIM's on the way!" song stuck in my head.

Plus, Alfie and Bibi's love song sounds kind of like the He-man/She-Ra song "I Have the Power".
Currently being forced to watch the Twilight Saga. Three more 2+ hour films to go.

Help. Me.
If Dick Dastardly ever returns in a SCOOB! sequel, I am sure he will be voiced by Mike Pollock. What do you think?

Featured Posts