Most underrated DCAU episodes EVER!

Latest News & Videos

DerekPowers

Ruler of Gotham City, 2049
May 2, 2001
TriState Area
'Fun and Games' is easily a standout episode of the entire series; I wasn't aware it wasn't well-loved around here.
well, whether or not its well loved, a lot of the amazing STAS episodes don't seem to get the kind of attention as the eps from other series. "Fun and Games" is one of the best episodes of the series, but my only point was that we never really get into discussions of the Superman episodes in quite the same way we do most of the other shows.

For how amazing it was, i think its somewhat underrated simply because it never gets discussed much. Its the Darkseid episodes that really get all the attention, you know?

Season 1 of STAS is flat out brilliant.

DisneyBoy

Searchin' My Soul
May 16, 2001
Somewhere in the imaginat
Visit site
I didn't much care for Toyman as a character. Too cartoony, and not scary...at least not until he became a stalker. That episode with Darcy really worked for me. Strange and uneasy. But generally...he's not someone I take too seriously. His only other good moment was singing to Tala right before killing her in "Alive!"

I don't buy for a second that he could accidentally have the technology to send Superman into the future. Hereafter, in my mind, should be an episode few people like, and only gets mention in the "underrated episodes" category. It gets points from me for showing Batman's private farewell to Clark, Lois' totally breakdown with Lex, Lobo's return and bringing an interesting resolution to Vandal Savages' time in the DCAU. But little else really works. It's such a bizarre grab-bag of "hun/what?" moments.

And also, how does Diana know what song Batman sung, since she was not there?

Paul Dini explained that the original resolution to the episode saw Bruce walking in on Zatanna replaying Batman's performance in a crystal ball as other Leaguers watched on in amusement and surprise. Even without that explanation, it stands to reason that Zatanna would happily tell Diana on the side why she was spared an untimely demise. Yes, the pig-farm in the middle of Gotham is strange, but the conveyer belt sequence doesn't necessarily take place at the same time as Circe's Mikonos performance. It's likely that when Wonder Pig first entered the plant, Circe was already battling Zanna and Batsy.

S:TAS is totally underrated. It's the only DCAU show with a clear beginning, middle and end from a Superhero standpoint (JL and JLU develop differently, B:TAS has no ending or clear beginning and BB only has a start), and the quality of the show is impressive. It gets better from a dramatic standpoint as it goes on (with Darkseid becoming a bigger and bigger threat), but always tells interesting stories about the characters, whether they're average humans, or villains. And the villains on the show were much, much better than Superman villains in general.

I'm going to say Livewire is underrated as an episode. I like the mix of TMS/Dong Yang animation, I love Lori Petty's voice and the music really helps propel us along. It's not brilliant, but it's wonderful in it's simplicity.

Similarily, The Prometheon has stunning TMS animation, and a simple conflict between Superman, the military (including the subtle introduction of eventual major supporting player Hardcastle) and the alien.

I also really enjoy The Demon Reborn. Seeing Ra's age and die (!), and Talia struggle emotionally with it all really illustrates her love for her father in a way no other episode really captures. It also establishes her as more of a capable woman all her own (Vertigo's animation and voice acting was slow and clunky by comparison) with a sexy sleekness that makes her appealing. Plus, we get some background on Ra's financial independance and a really nice scene between Lois and the man she could have loved. Sure, Batsy's ears grow to BB proportions, but I find that cool to watch.

ROBOTRON

100% Pure Robot!
Aug 27, 2005
Detroit...WE KILL PEOPLE.
www.freewebs.com
DisneyBoy said:
I didn't much care for Toyman as a character. Too cartoony, and not scary...at least not until he became a stalker. That episode with Darcy really worked for me. Strange and uneasy. But generally...he's not someone I take too seriously. His only other good moment was singing to Tala right before killing her in "Alive!"
:shrug: - I liked the STAS Toyman design...in fact its the only one I like...I certainly didn't like the "fat Goth" version in the Doomsday flick.

"Fun and games" was awesome, so was the Darcy episode...which was concluded in an episode of Static Shock.

DerekPowers

May 2, 2001
TriState Area
Okay, how's this for an underrated episode: "Armory" from BB. I think its quite a good episode, and when I first saw it it kind of reminded me of a BTAS episode. Lots of character development, a good villian origin, and Armory was a decent enough villian (even if he was a "one-shot" villian, and atleast they bothered to name him!). Its not an amazing episode, but its pretty good, and had Armory ever appeared again I think they could have fleshed him out into a pretty cool villian.

The problem I think is it aired during BB's "filler" period (mid-late season 2), when many (but certainly not all) of the episodes just werent up to par compared to the standard the show set. It was during this time that we saw lots of one-shot, unnamed villians (many w/ lame designs to boot), poorer stories being told, and the bright early digital colors (i believe this was a digitally colored ep, but im not sure cause i havent watched it in some time). "Armory" kind of just gets lumped in with these episodes, and thus, is underrated.

and a really nice scene between Lois and the man she could have loved.
I thought that scene between Lois and Bruce was straight up camp. I really hate that episode, and imo, its over-rated. I would even say its my least favorite STAS episode, even worse than "Superman's Pal". But to each his own :) .

BTW, what do you mean "Livewire" had a mix of Tms and Dong Yang animation? I checked the episode review here and it only says DY. But either way, that is a stellar episode.

Paul Dini explained that the original resolution to the episode saw Bruce walking in on Zatanna replaying Batman's performance in a crystal ball as other Leaguers watched on in amusement and surprise.

WHA!? where'd he say that? That sounds like a MUCH better ending imo. Im chuckling just thinking about the look on Batman's face.

I just dont like that we have to assume Zatana told Diana. I mean, we can assume anything all the time, right? It felt sloppy, as many JLU season 1 episodes did.

And if the converyor belt scene and the Circe/club scene werent happening simultaniously, then why'd they stage it like that?? I mean, at the end of the day you have to judge whats on screen, and what was on screen made no sense. Why not just rationalize the "Moon of the Wolf" mistakes then?

Last edited by a moderator:

DisneyBoy

Searchin' My Soul
May 16, 2001
Somewhere in the imaginat
Visit site
WHA!? where'd he say that? That sounds like a MUCH better ending imo. Im chuckling just thinking about the look on Batman's face.

I believe he said that here on the boards. If you go to the Watchtower, it's probably quoted there.

And if the converyor belt scene and the Circe/club scene werent happening simultaniously, then why'd they stage it like that?? I mean, at the end of the day you have to judge whats on screen, and what was on screen made no sense.

In film and tv, for the sake of pacing you have to cut back and forth between different scenes to keep the tempo up. Imagine seeing 4 and a half minutes of Diana running around the factory, and then four solid minutes of Zatanna and Batsy catching up with Circe and then him singing. You'd get bored with both stories because there would be no edits. So you have to jump between the two plots to keep the viewer's attention (people have little patience these days) and hope they get that everything is happening in vaguely the same time.

I mean, what other options do they have in the editing room, then? Going split screen, just so you get what's happening at that exact same minute?

Maybe it didn't work for you, but it worked perfectly well for me and didn't read as a continuity error at all.

Moon of the Wolf, I think I watched twice, and have never bothered watching again, and probably never will.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
Sep 7, 2004
And if the converyor belt scene and the Circe/club scene werent happening simultaniously, then why'd they stage it like that?? I mean, at the end of the day you have to judge whats on screen, and what was on screen made no sense.

In film and tv, for the sake of pacing you have to cut back and forth between different scenes to keep the tempo up. Imagine seeing 4 and a half minutes of Diana running around the factory, and then four solid minutes of Zatanna and Batsy catching up with Circe and then him singing. You'd get bored with both stories because there would be no edits. So you have to jump between the two plots to keep the viewer's attention (people have little patience these days) and hope they get that everything is happening in vaguely the same time.

I mean, what other options do they have in the editing room, then? Going split screen, just so you get what's happening at that exact same minute?
I'm inclined to believe the singing and the conveyor belt scene happened simultaneously. If you believe the effects of magic are instantaneous, then it most likely occurred simultaneously. Anyhoo, I didn't find any plot holes, but I never liked this episode. So I think if anything, it's overrated, if you know what I mean. :D

I just saw "Ancient History" on Boomerang this week. I don't particularly care much for the love tetrahedron, but I was more impressed the second time around. I'm still amazed they were able to incorporate adultery, suicide, and assassination all on-screen on a Y7 show.

Mr. Mxyzptlk

Film Buff
Dec 31, 2006
Georgia
I hate 'The Demon Reborn'. One episode was all it took to ruin Ras' cool charisma and sense of intellect and turn him into a generic thug lusting for strength.

I think that 'Legends' is an underrated episode, not that it not well-liked or anything, but that anything in the first season of JL is every compared to it makes this worth mentioning. It's the only episode of that first season 1) that is truly a standout, 2) that isn't predictable and formulaic, 3) that leaves the audience in the dark, 4) that turns focus away from Batman and Superman for a good long while, 5) that offers some decent character development for GL and Hawkgirl, 6) that's actually funny, 7) that's touching, 8) that gives the animation an unintentional excuse to be bad, given it sort of fits the tribute to the Silver Age, 9) that has a good cliffhanger, and 10) that is filled to the brim with neat little comic book references.

Honestly, 'Legends' is at least twice as good as every episode from the first season, even 'The Savage Time'.

DerekPowers

May 2, 2001
TriState Area

BUT why couldnt they just resolve some of the Circe/Bat/Zatana stuff, THEN cut to the wonder pig towards the end of the club scene, and start the inter-cutting w/ the conveyor belt later??

i havent watched it in a while, but wasnt the inter-cutting used to build drama AND show they were happening simultaniously? It seemed the point of the intercutting was to make you think wonder pig might die, and then she's saved at the last minute thanks to what Batman and Zatana did. So the minute they did something (like Batman singing), the next minute it effected Wonderpig, because she then turned back into WW. So, from my pov it was meant to be happening simultaniously, and it was very poorly executed due to the continuity errors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Caswin

Apr 12, 2004
S:TAS is totally underrated. It's the only DCAU show with a clear beginning, middle and end from a Superhero standpoint (JL and JLU develop differently, B:TAS has no ending or clear beginning and BB only has a start)
What do you mean from a "superhero standpoint," exactly? All of those shows have some kind of beginning and end, save maybe B:TAS.

ROBOTRON

100% Pure Robot!
Aug 27, 2005
Detroit...WE KILL PEOPLE.
www.freewebs.com
Okay, how's this for an underrated episode: "Armory" from BB. I think its quite a good episode, and when I first saw it it kind of reminded me of a BTAS episode. Lots of character development, a good villian origin, and Armory was a decent enough villian (even if he was a "one-shot" villian, and atleast they bothered to name him!). Its not an amazing episode, but its pretty good, and had Armory ever appeared again I think they could have fleshed him out into a pretty cool villian.
:sweat: - OMG, you are absolutely right. Armory was awesome and I wish he'd lasted more than one episode. He was one tough...uh...Mutha...BB could barely handle him.

"Untouchable" was another good episode of BB with an unbeatable opponent. The ending was sorta anti-climatic (stopping him with a random fan machine? meh.), but the villain design was perfect and one of a kind.

U

Ultra Humanite

Bumping this one up because I have a different angle for this. The most under appreciated aspect of the DCAU is the comedy in general.

I have a very dry sense of humor as it is, and I laugh at the things most other people would not be. I think that the DCAU is one of the funniest shows I've ever seen (and this is CERTAINLY not a negative critique).

I find Batman's stubbornness and crankiness hysterical, as well as Penguin's inability to see his own classlessness just as funny if not funnier than Flash's innuendo's or Joker's zaniness. That said, some of the best episodes are the funny ones, and the fans don't pay them enough attention.

The Main Man and Mxyzpixilated are my two favorite episodes of the entire series, but other great comedies include The Strange Secret Of Bruce Wayne, Joker's Wild, Trial, Make 'Em Laugh, JOKER'S MILLIONS, Girl's Nite Out, LITTLE BIG HEAD MAN, Beware The Creeper and Legends!!! These are all masterpieces that I never see discussed.

The humor and silliness of the show is one it's strongest attributes, I feel. But I don't think it is recognized nearly enough.