Most underrated DCAU episodes EVER!

Latest News & Videos

b.t.

Nov 11, 2003
Batman's Biggest Fan said:
(And I think b.t. said he doesn't like "I've Got Batman In My Basement" and "Little Big Head Man")
yes indeed, they're both pretty ripe.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
b.t. said:
oh sure, kick a guy while he's down....

ok, fine, not really on-topic, but, in addition to the above-mentioned house-befoulers, i hereby categorically apologise for the following:

the terrible trio (my nomination for all-time worst dcau ep)
superman's pal
cat scratch fever
animal act
heavy metal

...there. happy now?

(just watch...i'll bet one of these is someone's favorite ep....:shrug:))
Two words on Animal Act: Roddy MacDowell.

DerekPowers

Ruler of Gotham City, 2049
May 2, 2001
TriState Area
b.t. said:
oh sure, kick a guy while he's down....

ok, fine, not really on-topic, but, in addition to the above-mentioned house-befoulers, i hereby categorically apologise for the following:

the terrible trio (my nomination for all-time worst dcau ep)
superman's pal
cat scratch fever
animal act
heavy metal

...there. happy now?

(just watch...i'll bet one of these is someone's favorite ep....:shrug:))
wow, goes to show everyone's opinions differ. i actually liked the terrible trio. it wasnt spectacular, but it was pretty good, a nice detour from the usual batman ep. i really always liked it.

and i always liked 'ive got batman in my basement'. maybe cause i first saw it when i was a little kid and its a kid centered story, i dont know. it always appealed to me, maybe cause i use to play detective, spy, that sort of thing, so it just was something i could relate to. plus it was the first penguin ep! i remember watching the preview for it the day before (remember those :) ), and was like, YES!! penguin finally shows up! it was pretty exciting for me.

and animal act was pretty cool as well. hmmm, go figure.

now for all time worst dcau ep, hmm, id say 'comfort and joy' comes close... hehe, i really despise that episode. peace.

Wing Zero

May 1, 2001
Visit site
Hey Animal Act is good dang it. Or at least in my mind, I think it was enjoyable and had good aspects. I liked how the tension between Batman and Nightwing was a little more present throughout the episode compared to the usual level. Dick revisiting the circus was cool and i smiled seeing bullock getting messed with by the "clown" :)

Not my favorite ep but I always thought it was good :p

Crow

Nov 25, 2003
Visit site
b.t. said:
PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR HAVING ANY PART IN ITS CREATION:
prophecy of doom
Heather Locklear's not all she's cracked up to be, eh?

DisneyBoy

Searchin' My Soul
May 16, 2001
Somewhere in the imaginat
Visit site
:) It's refreshing to hear your honest thoughts on all this Bruce. I guess I've been stigmatized by David E Kelly. The final season of Ally McBeal was one long train wreck, with few shining moments (Those being Ling's turn as a judge, Elaine's broadway tryout, and a touching 911 themed Christmas ep with the great Josh Groban)...yet when the curtains fell, he never really addressed it. He just packed up and said "bye folks" without ever considering that someone like me would desperately need the closure of knowing that he'd dreamed of better things for our frail heroine. So it's nice to know how things really look from your end.

Anyhoo....Comfort and Joy? Comfort and Joy!?! That half hour literally MADE my Christmas last year. My family had just lost someone really dear to our hearts and none of us felt like anything in our lives was normal. I've always loved what the holidays made me feel, but inside I was hollow and tired and was starting to intensely dislike all that the modern Christmas was forcing down my throat. Then this little jem aired, and I felt like it was more than ok to have an untraditional, unusual holiday. Thank you for that.

b.t.

Nov 11, 2003
Crow said:
Heather Locklear's not all she's cracked up to be, eh?
oh contraire, mon frere, the lovely miss locklear is EVERYTHING she's cracked up to be, and more. not only only gorgeous to look at, but genuinely sweet and easy-going, she was a total pleasure to work with.

in fact, practically the only pleasant memory i have of "prophecy of doom" is of the actual voice recording session itself -- thanks for reminding me. besides heather, it was very cool to work with michael des barres and william windom (it was way before most of your guys' times, but william was a near-legendary character actor in '60's and '70's tv, so it was a huge kick for me personally, having him on the show). too bad such mega-watt talent was pretty much wasted on such a dud of an episode....

Karkull

Mod of Chaos
Aug 19, 2001
R'lyeh
jl.toonzone.net
b.t. said:

1) superman's pal
2) heavy metal

...there. happy now?
Oh, b.t., your honesty has made me the happiest fan in the world! As much as I loved your version of Metallo, his story would have been better if it ended with Action Figures.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
GMahler said:
Got two more underrated episodes:

"The Clock King" and "Time Out Of Joint." I think they're both terrific. They sport above-average animation and interesting stories. Batman running a la Flash in "Time Out Of Joint" was one of the coolest things to ever grace B:TAS.
Clock King is a GREAT episode! I agree completely.

I haven't seen Time Out of Joint in the LONGEST time but I remember thinking it was REALLY cool. I can't wait for Batman the Animated Series Volume three to come out on DVD as that will contain a TON of episodes I haven't seen in a long time.

Krypton_Knight

Nov 1, 2002
Visit site
Well...

For some reason. while I agree that "Prophecy of Doom" is a stinker, it had one element that I liked a lot: Nostromo's henchman. I liked the idea of making the big villain an utter dork, but giving him a henchman who was a little more competent and could give Batman a run for his money. That's a believable touch that could have (with a better animation studio and a more focused script) produced a much better episode. As far as con schemes to prey on the rich go, "The Worrymen" (another underrated one) did the concept far better.

As for "Tyger, Tyger", sorry fans. To my dying day, I will despise this one for wasting an opportunity to do a good Catwoman story by using her as a hook for a bland reworking of the Island of Dr. Moreau.

Earthmover and Eggbaby were two of the better BB Season 2 offerings. The Terry Dates A Robot episode is another one I've seen that was despised by a lot of people, but I thought it was a hoot.

And I don't know how anyone can see "Baby Doll" and not be moved by its ending. but people are funny critters. :)

KK

Harlequinade

Harley's Biggest Fan
Sep 13, 2004
I liked "The Clock King" I think Clock King's trap was one of Batman's closest threat on his life. "Time Out Of Joint" was cool too, the super fast Batman and the part where everyone's in slow motion, brilliantly done

Silly McGooses

Aug 22, 2003
Wilmington, DE
Visit site
b.t. said:
oh contraire, mon frere, the lovely miss locklear is EVERYTHING she's cracked up to be, and more. not only only gorgeous to look at, but genuinely sweet and easy-going, she was a total pleasure to work with.

in fact, practically the only pleasant memory i have of "prophecy of doom" is of the actual voice recording session itself -- thanks for reminding me. besides heather, it was very cool to work with michael des barres and william windom (it was way before most of your guys' times, but william was a near-legendary character actor in '60's and '70's tv, so it was a huge kick for me personally, having him on the show). too bad such mega-watt talent was pretty much wasted on such a dud of an episode....
Aw, it isn't THAT bad, is it? The animation is awfull and I couldn't stay awake during the final battle...but...um...the music was pretty good!

Style

The Green Style Returns
Dec 12, 2003
St. Charles
b.t. said:
PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR HAVING ANY PART IN ITS CREATION:
prophecy of doom
Oh, I don't know. I always thought Nostromos was interesting, sort of like another version of Ras Al Ghul, you know, if he didn't have a cool henchman, or a hot daughter, or semi-immortality, or well-thought our plans, or an interesting motive, or even an unnerving little nick-name for Batman.

Hey, you know that was long before "Off Balance," did that episode get anyone worried at the time that that WAS supposed to be Ras al Ghul? It just seems like if that ep premiered today, there'd be some poor confused soul on the board who'd be all like, "OMG WTF did they do to Ras!!!:eek: :mad: :eek: "

Silly McGooses

Aug 22, 2003
Wilmington, DE
Visit site
stly92 said:
Oh, I don't know. I always thought Nostromos was interesting, sort of like another version of Ras Al Ghul, you know, if he didn't have a cool henchman, or a hot daughter, or semi-immortality, or well-thought our plans, or an interesting motive, or even an unnerving little nick-name for Batman.

Hey, you know that was long before "Off Balance," did that episode get anyone worried at the time that that WAS supposed to be Ras al Ghul? It just seems like if that ep premiered today, there'd be some poor confused soul on the board who'd be all like, "OMG WTF did they do to Ras!!!:eek: :mad: :eek: "
When I was around 5, I got interested in the show (my Dad watched it from the beginning). When Prophecy of Doom came on, he told me that Nostroganof, or whatever his name is, was Ras A Gauhl. He hadn't seen that episode before.

Crow

Nov 25, 2003
Visit site
b.t. said:

That's nice to hear. She did show a great comedic turn in Spin City, I must admit. Saw Prophecy last week for the first time and I knew I recognised the daughter's voice, looked on WF and saw it was her. 'WOW, HEATHER LOCKLEAR?'

murmur

Loud whispers
Apr 16, 2002
Los Angeles
Visit site
A pleasure to see you posting again, b.t. I seem to recall that you were a Buffy fan at some point, but it doesn't hurt to be reminded. Now, if you and Joss could ever collaborate...[pipe dreams].

There aren't that many ep.'s that I disagree with you on, but what the heck, I'll try anyway 'cause I'm kind of obnoxioius.:anime:

Animal Act--I'm glad I'm not the only one who took exception here. What is it about this episode that you objected too? The villain here actually took me by surprise, the visit back for Dick was nice and, well, I guess the action scenes could have been better but they could've been worse.

Cape and Cowl Conspiracy--The only thing wrong with this episode, IMO is that Wormwood was voiced by the same VA as The Riddler, and they have just a tad too much in common. Other than that, it's good ole Batman escape artistry with a twist that makes it worth watching multiple times. What's to complain about?

Eggbaby--Well, I get that it wasn't supposed to be serious, and I guess it had its moments, but it was just a walking cliche. You and your team are capable of being far more original. That's not to say that revisiting corny themes doesn't ever work ("Legends" and "Tales of the Dark Knight" are good examples) but it helps when there's some separation between the corniness and the reality to let the audience know you're in on the joke. Or maybe you guys did that with "Eggbaby" and I'm just dense. :confused:

As for the questions: I thought "Ultimate Thrill" was terrific, and Penguin was well-used, and the daring sexual innuendo worked well, and the score was just great and...hey, does anyone not like that episode? "Love is a Croc" might have been a little disturbing (again, quite a bold sneak-it-by-the-censors type deal) but I enjoyed it. That being said, I couldn't resist poking holes in it and I'll look up the parody for you if you like.:cool: