Most underrated DCAU episodes EVER!

Latest News & Videos

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
29,150
-5
113
44
Framingham, MA
A lot of DCAU episodes get grief for no real good reason. I'm gonna list some I think have been unjustly maligned.

1. Critters (TNBA). News flash people: It was SUPPOSED to be a really weird and messed up Batman outing. It was a ridiculous premise executed far more expertly than people give it credit for.

2. This Little Piggy (JLU). Any episode that introduces B'Wanna Beast is automatically saved. Plus you've got Circe divaing and Batman crooning. The Wonder Pig chase scenes are lame but this is still a cool episode.

3. Tyger, Tyger (BTAS). A lot of people have complained that this episode really isn't in the spirit of BTAS, but more of a horror film. Well, with the touching and chilling ending, the beautiful animation, and the title poem this is my personal favorite Batman episode. Best Catwoman outing EVER!

4. Maid of Honor (JL). A quintessential Vandal Savage appearance. This episode floored me for an entire hour only to get bashed on this board as too "James Bond". Batman and Wonder Women had some awesome scenes, as did the Flash in one of his series highlights having payback to some terrorists who ejected him into space.

5. Where the Rubber Meets the Road (SS). Yes, it's a preachy episode about dyslexia. But when the character is a purple stretchy dude you can't help but love it. Rubberband Man and Static's epilogue IS pretty awful, but in a very enjoyable way.

6. Eggbaby (BB). One of the best episodes of the mediocre season two of Batman Beyond. The lil' thing is SO cute and Bruce's reaction to being asked to care for it in Terry's stead was priceless. If only ALL of the high school oriented episodes were like this.

7. The Cape and Cowl Conspiracy (BTAS). Sure, the animation is lousy. But this is one heckuva twist ending. Batman's rhyming taunt by sending his cape and cowl to Wormwood in prison is a great moment.

8. The Forgotten (BTAS). I'm sorry but this is a great episode. Aside from the cool soundtrack the image of Bruce Wayne getting his memory back is awesomeness personified.

9. Mxyspkzilated. (STAS). True, most people don't consider this a bad episode. But they certainly don't consider it one of the Greatest STAS episodes ever even though it is. And Gilbert Godfried actually funny? Who'da thunk it. Bonus points for Supes actually using his brain to defeat a villian for once.

10. Kid's Stuff. (JLU). What is it with fanboys and comedic episodes? This is one of JLU's best episodes with beautiful animation and delightful character portrayals of out heroes as munchkins. Diana is so bossy and boy-crazy it's funny, GL is an overenthusiastic kid, Batman is a "girls are icky" "cool" kid, and Superman is completely clueless. Baby Etrigan is the nicest DCAU surprise in ages and steals the shows.

What episodes do you guys think get a bad fandom rap? You don't have to list ten, it can be less or even more!
 

DisneyBoy

Searchin' My Soul
May 16, 2001
19,947
0
38
Somewhere in the imaginat
Visit site
How about "Mean Seasons" and "Baby Doll"? Two episodes with great animation and awesome endings that make you care for the characters, despite their many numerous faults. There's certainly a bit of Mary Dahl and Paige Monroe in each and every one of us.

And Maid of Honor doesn't deserve to even be mentionned in this thread. It's my favorite Wonder Woman episode thus far with awesome animation, acting and storytelling. Great episode. And everyone MUST love it! I COMMAND you too!

Disagree on "Tyger Tyger" though. It took the "Catwoman" premise one step too far by making it a reality. Best Catwoman episode is "Catwalk", bar none. Though I've got to agree that "The Cat and the Claw Part One" comes close, which is probably why they bothered to reanimate flashbacks from that episode, solidifying "Catwalk" as the best Catwoman episode by including the better parts from her first appearance.
 

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
29,150
-5
113
44
Framingham, MA
DisneyBoy said:
How about "Mean Seasons" and "Baby Doll"? Two episodes with great animation and awesome endings that make you care for the characters, despite their many numerous faults. There's certainly a bit of Mary Dahl and Paige Monroe in each and every one of us.

And Maid of Honor doesn't deserve to even be mentionned in this thread. It's my favorite Wonder Woman episode thus far with awesome animation, acting and storytelling. Great episode. And everyone MUST love it! I COMMAND you too!

Disagree on "Tyger Tyger" though. It took the "Catwoman" premise one step too far by making it a reality. Best Catwoman episode is "Catwalk", bar none.
Oh, but Maid of Honor was ripped on like you wouldn't believe. I agree it is Wonder Woman's best episode.

And yeah, I expected a disagreement on an episode or three. Tyger, Tyger is my personal favorite so it's no wonder I'd put it in a list of underrated episodes.

Tygrus: "There's no place for me... ANYWHERE."
(lightning cracks)
 

James

Administrator
Staff member
Moderator
May 5, 2001
31,302
0
38
UK
www.foxhell.com
Hmm, a mixed bag on your list.. I never though "The Cape And Cowl Conspiracy" was considered underrated... as with the JLU eps you list.

Ones I do agree with - Critters. I do agree, people did seem to miss the fact that the flavour isn't at odds with content. If it was trying to be serious I'd agree with people it isn't good.. but it's just silly.. we get those from time to time and I think nowadays we are more used to the crew toying.. I suppose then people weren't.. I don't know. Not a fav episode, but not HALF as bad as people make out.

Eggbaby - Again, I agree, novel and fun. Like Critters it suffers from being misunderstood and people judging it as a bad attempt at serious drama or as a silly episode and Batman shouldn't have silly episodes (and back to Critters we return..).

Tyger Tyger - I like a toy to style and format as you may have guessed and the end monologue is nicely used as is the cinematics and great ambience. Always good to experiment kiddies...

My additions: Comfort And Joy - always seems to get mixed reviews this. Again, we see a change of format being heavily frowned upon by traditionalists. I think that again is why this often suffers in fandom. Personally I thought it was nicely paced and touchingly executed. *shrug*

Where's Terry? The Bruce and Max pieces are nicely done with a great ending. It was again, a nice change of pace.
 

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
29,150
-5
113
44
Framingham, MA
SJJ said:
Hmm, a mixed bag on your list.. I never though "The Cape And Cowl Conspiracy" was considered underrated... as with the JLU eps you list.

Ones I do agree with - Critters. I do agree, people did seem to miss the fact that the flavour isn't at odds with content. If it was trying to be serious I'd agree with people it isn't good.. but it's just silly.. we get those from time to time and I think nowadays we are more used to the crew toying.. I suppose then people weren't.. I don't know. Not a fav episode, but not HALF as bad as people make out.

Eggbaby - Again, I agree, novel and fun. Like Critters it suffers from being misunderstood and people judging it as a bad attempt at serious drama or as a silly episode and Batman shouldn't have silly episodes (and back to Critters we return..).

Tyger Tyger - I like a toy to style and format as you may have guessed and the end monologue is nicely used as is the cinematics and great ambience. Always good to experiment kiddies...

My additions: Comfort And Joy - always seems to get mixed reviews this. Again, we see a change of format being heavily frowned upon by traditionalists. I think that again is why this often suffers in fandom. Personally I thought it was nicely paced and touchingly executed. *shrug*

Where's Terry? The Bruce and Max pieces are nicely done with a great ending. It was again, a nice change of pace.
Well the word underrated is subjective. The JLU episodes I mentioned aren't as badly ripped on as say Critters but they certainly had their fair share of smack talked about them. As for The Cape and Cowl Conspiracy, just the fact that it isn't considered one of the greatest Batman episodes ever makes it underrated in my book.

Comfort and Joy was a pretty good episode too. My favorite subplot was Flash, The Ultra-Humanite and DJ Rubber Ducky.

Where's Terry? WAS good but Max was SO annoying as usual in this episode. Fortunately Old Man Wayne got his revenge in the end.
 

Brainiac

You've forced my hand.
Nov 24, 2001
1,604
0
36
34
Los Angeles
Visit site
My thoughts....

Hmm...my thoughts on the mentioned choices...and a few of my own:

1. Critters (TNBA)--I'd have to agree with you on this one. It's SUPPOSED to be silly and spoofy. And c'mon--it's got Bullock and giant man-eating praying mantises trapped in a rocket silo! How much better can you get?!

2. This Little Piggy (JLU)--I don't understand the criticism on this one...I thought it was one of the funniest JL(U)'s I've ever seen. And lots o' singing. And Zatanna returned! Good stuff all around.

3. Tyger, Tyger (BTAS)--Wow, I'm liking all of these choices. I actually liked the fact that they took Catwoman to the next level...it was a pretty cool premise, and they had a lot of fun with it. Plus, it deepened Catwoman and Batman's character relationship...

7. The Cape and Cowl Conspiracy (BTAS). Eh, I never cared for the end twist/gag. I thought it was too contrived. Call me crazy.

8. The Forgotten (BTAS)--Okay, I'm gonna have to disagree here. I like the premise. In fact, what I think WORKS about the episode is the Alfred/Bruce relationship. That one moment where they lean against the Batplane after Alfred crash-lands it and Bruce nudges Alfred's chin with his fist is a great moment between them across ALL BTAS. But the villain...UGH. I could never get past it. And I just get annoyed every time I see him...

9. Mxyspkzilated. (STAS)--A good episode! Just a lot of fun.

10. Kid's Stuff. (JLU)--I LOVED this episode. It was hilarious to see them as kiddies, and it had a decent set-up as well. And how can you not like Little GL's giant robot?

.............

My own choice?

Cold Comfort. (BTAS)--I don't know why people hate this episode SO much. A lot of the criticism is that it "ruins" Mr. Freeze as a sympathetic character and destroys what was set up before...but where else should they have taken him?? Nora was back, but remarries someone else...! After all he did, he loses her in the end! So he takes it out on everyone else...I thought it was a brilliant transition. And he's a mechanical spider w/ a head! That was just chilling and cool (yes, both puns intended).

-Brainiac
 

DerekPowers

Ruler of Gotham City, 2049
May 2, 2001
5,079
0
38
TriState Area
i agree with disneyboy that 'maid of honor' most definately does not belong on this thread. that was a stellar episode, imo, and definately in the batch of best jl eps ever.

anyway, i agree with brainiac, about 'cold comfort'. i LOVE this eps and did from the first time i watched it. it is a great installment in the freeze saga. it fit the tone of tnba, ie, making all the villians more extreme in both persona and design. it was a logical and very cool progression from 'sub zero', and it set up 'meltdown'. great episode, its beyond me why anyone wouldnt like it.

anyway, my vote goes to the JLU ep 'Hawk and Dove'. i truely dont know why people hate this ep with such a passion. imo, its the best episode of JLU (to date that is), for a number of reasons. first, i thought hawk and dove were cool characters, and they played off eachother very well. second, its the ONLY jlu ep that i didnt feel was rushed. there was room for hespestis, there was time to introduce ares, and there was a lot of little business and touches that just made the pacing not feel as bum rushed as all the other jlu eps. the story was very clear, the mission was very clear, the was an element of realness in the story, and they actually had Jonn in it monitoring the situation!! :eek: the only problem i really had was ww's anger issues, but atleast it worked with the theme of the ep, and compared to other jlu eps, thats a minor offense. i said it, you heard me, so far, imo, 'hawk and dove' was the best jlu ep. 'the return' comes close, but theres just way too many plot holes and vagueness in that ep. 'hawk and dove' was clear, to the point, had a message, had tight pacing with some elbow room, and gave the sense that hawk, dove, and ww were part of a larger team. it worked on a level i think most of the JLU eps we've seen havent achieved. peace.
 

Sue

Hawk Groupie
Aug 16, 2003
1,806
0
36
42
Baltimore
Visit site
Fone Bone said:
Oh, but Maid of Honor was ripped on like you wouldn't believe. I agree it is Wonder Woman's best episode.
I thought Maid of Honor was entertaining and a good spotlight episode for Diana. She got to kick ass AND wear pretty gowns ;)

I'm gonna get hung for this, but screw it! I think War World and Fury aren't as bad as most everyone thinks.

Having not read the comics and not remembering much from S:TAS, Superman didn't appear weak to me. My only complaint was that GL and Hawkgirl's bickering was unfounded.

As for Fury, I liked seeing Diana and HG work together and try to figure each other out. It explored the differences between them through their attitudes towards men, which I found interesting. My only gripe was towards the end when everyone stopped to hear Hippolyta tell Aresia about her rescue. The ship could've crashed, or Aresia could've gone batsh*t and attacked everyone while that happened. Still, it didn't ruin the episode for me.
 

Lunchbox

Member
Aug 17, 2004
774
0
16
I always liked the Batman Beyond episodes with Henry Rollins playing Henry Rollins.
 

Crow

Active Member
Nov 25, 2003
2,318
0
38
Visit site
You guys do over-rate A Better World a bit, right. I'd say 90% of Justice League is under-rated, judging by TZ responses alone.

Eclipsed is under-rated.

Christmas With The Joker is another.
 

RAINMAN

Kikoutei Densetsu
Oct 24, 2003
9,620
0
36
Bayou
Visit site
Batman

The last laugh: Many think it one of the worst joker ep`s but I like casue it the only time bats and the clown prince of crime fights one on one.

The Judge: Poor two face.

JL: Bold and the brave,hearts and mind,eclipsed

BB: Witness
 

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
29,150
-5
113
44
Framingham, MA
DerekPowers said:
i agree with disneyboy that 'maid of honor' most definately does not belong on this thread. that was a stellar episode, imo, and definately in the batch of best jl eps ever.

.
Okay, let me explain this again. Just because an episode is awesome doesn't mean it isn't underrated. Maid of Honor was one of my absolute favorites from season two but it is still considered less "worthy" by most people than it should be. Mxyspxilated is another example of a great episode that should be considered great, but is only considered good.

And Maid of Honor DID get an insane amount of flack. Just the fact that most people thought a peon like Dr. Destiny is a greater villian than the awesomeness that is Vandal Savage in the recent JL Season two best villian poll says something.
 

bat313

Active Member
Jan 26, 2003
2,105
0
38
39
NJ
Visit site
Someone has to say it "War World"! I was waiting for an episode centered around Superman since "Legacy" and when i heard the hint of Superman theme music in the ep i went nuts. I was glad to have another 2-part epic about the man of steel. PLus i though Mongoul was awsome, and as well as the martian manhunter. The GL/Hawgirl subplot i could have done without
 

Darkseid

Member
Oct 29, 2003
374
0
16
Visit site
DisneyBoy said:
How about "Mean Seasons" and "Baby Doll"? Two episodes with great animation and awesome endings that make you care for the characters, despite their many numerous faults. There's certainly a bit of Mary Dahl and Paige Monroe in each and every one of us.
Fantastic episodes, especially "Baby Doll," which is a personal favorite from the entire series run.

"I didn't mean to."
 

JusticeLeagueLegion

Samantha is a hottie!!
Oct 14, 2001
5,248
0
38
Happy Harbor
Visit site
Fone Bone said:
A lot of DCAU episodes get grief for no real good reason. I'm gonna list some I think have been unjustly maligned.

1. Critters (TNBA). News flash people: It was SUPPOSED to be a really weird and messed up Batman outing. It was a ridiculous premise executed far more expertly than people give it credit for.

2. This Little Piggy (JLU). Any episode that introduces B'Wanna Beast is automatically saved. Plus you've got Circe divaing and Batman crooning. The Wonder Pig chase scenes are lame but this is still a cool episode.

3. Tyger, Tyger (BTAS). A lot of people have complained that this episode really isn't in the spirit of BTAS, but more of a horror film. Well, with the touching and chilling ending, the beautiful animation, and the title poem this is my personal favorite Batman episode. Best Catwoman outing EVER!

4. Maid of Honor (JL). A quintessential Vandal Savage appearance. This episode floored me for an entire hour only to get bashed on this board as too "James Bond". Batman and Wonder Women had some awesome scenes, as did the Flash in one of his series highlights having payback to some terrorists who ejected him into space.

5. Where the Rubber Meets the Road (SS). Yes, it's a preachy episode about dyslexia. But when the character is a purple stretchy dude you can't help but love it. Rubberband Man and Static's epilogue IS pretty awful, but in a very enjoyable way.

6. Eggbaby (BB). One of the best episodes of the mediocre season two of Batman Beyond. The lil' thing is SO cute and Bruce's reaction to being asked to care for it in Terry's stead was priceless. If only ALL of the high school oriented episodes were like this.

7. The Cape and Cowl Conspiracy (BTAS). Sure, the animation is lousy. But this is one heckuva twist ending. Batman's rhyming taunt by sending his cape and cowl to Wormwood in prison is a great moment.

8. The Forgotten (BTAS). I'm sorry but this is a great episode. Aside from the cool soundtrack the image of Bruce Wayne getting his memory back is awesomeness personified.

9. Mxyspkzilated. (STAS). True, most people don't consider this a bad episode. But they certainly don't consider it one of the Greatest STAS episodes ever even though it is. And Gilbert Godfried actually funny? Who'da thunk it. Bonus points for Supes actually using his brain to defeat a villian for once.

10. Kid's Stuff. (JLU). What is it with fanboys and comedic episodes? This is one of JLU's best episodes with beautiful animation and delightful character portrayals of out heroes as munchkins. Diana is so bossy and boy-crazy it's funny, GL is an overenthusiastic kid, Batman is a "girls are icky" "cool" kid, and Superman is completely clueless. Baby Etrigan is the nicest DCAU surprise in ages and steals the shows.

What episodes do you guys think get a bad fandom rap? You don't have to list ten, it can be less or even more!
I didn't realise that "Tyger, Tyger" and "The Forgotten" were such underated episodes. I could watch those episodes a million times and never get sick of them. I've seen them a million times and haven't got sick of them. In fact I watched "The Forgotten" episode twice this week. (I have the "Batman: The Animated Series: Volume One" DVD set you see, although I had taped that episode when it was on fox eons ago. But the DVDs are so much cooler you know!)

"Eggbaby" was hilarious. I think I've only seen that episode twice at the most but I remember I liked it a lot. It was funny. What was the fat lady's name again? Anyway...

I'm probably one of the few people that doesn't hate "Critters" as well. But I probably don't like it as much as you. To me it wasn't THAT fantastic. It was closer to being lame than awesome.

As for "Kid's Stuff," to me it wasn't all that funny. Some episodes are so funny you can pee your pants from laughing so hard, but I didn't think it was that funny. I didn't think it was real cute either. A little, but not much. It was somewhat lame. I'm not a big fan. Who knows, I might not like this episode that much because my dog died the very day this episode aired. That might have something to do with it. But really, this episode didn't seem like it would've impressed me much either way.

I have "The Cape And Cowl Conspiricy" recorded on tape but I still haven't seen it in a LONG time. It's been years. But I still remember it quite clearly. That was the episode with Josiah Wormwood. That was a good one in my opinion, but I can see how it could have been underated, because there's no famous villain in it. But hey, doesn't everyone love "The Late Mr. Kent" episode of Superman? Oh well.

Anyway, I gotta go,
 

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

For some reason I keep being reminded of this post I made on a Black Clover talkback thread: C&C - Black Clover - "The One With No Magic" [9/8]

It seems like the inspiration for Maya comes from his wife, mother, and sister.
The good news is I'm not scared anymore. The bad news is, as I have absorbed things, I am now freaking infuriated.
For nick@nite, and I thought full house was the only one skipped.., now George lopez is doing the same thing.. early Mon Jun 1 3:30am was No Free Launch, then skipped episodes to A Kiss is Just Kiss episode aired early Jun 2 at 4am. Very weird for nick@nite, obvi a sign that show won't last long