Most sympathetic and unsympathetic villains in Marvel animation?

Latest News & Videos

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
I started a thread like this in DC animation, but I thought it would be good for here too. Who are the most sympathetic and unsympathetic Marvel animated villains?

The biggest sympathetic villain is X-Men TAS Magneto, a man who lost his family in a genocide, now he wants to protect mutants from humanity's bigotry and will do whatever it takes to do so.

In terms of unsympathetic villains, TAS villains like Apocalypse (a nihilist who hates everyone but himself and expresses that hatred in very cruel ways), Graydon Creed (a genocidal bigot) and most versions of the Red Skull, where they may tone down the Nazism from the comics, but still make him very cruel in the various animated projects he appeared in.

Freddy

Aug 1, 2012
Most sympathetic - Yeah, I have to echo Magneto for the same reasons why (most of the time) every version of Magneto is sympathetic. For good runner-ups, X-Men TAS version of Mr. Sinister becomes suprisingly sympathetic once we learn his backstory in the very underrated final season episode, The Descent, and Kang from Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes is pretty sympathetic too for trying to safe his wife, even though the "no story-arcs or continuity allowed" second season kinda ignored that part of his character.

Least sympathetic - I'm actually going to name a group of villains and that is The Friends of Humanity from X-Men TAS for being completely realistic depiction of bigoted hate groups. Seriously, compare them to real-life Neo-Nazis or the Klan, and there's basically no difference.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
177A Bleecker Street
The Lizard has been pretty sympathetic in some of his portrayals ( Spider-Man 94, Spectacular Spider-Man, USM). A genuinely good guy who's hoping to restore what was taken from his body and others. His eagerness leads to him uncontrollably becoming a monster that endangers his family and other innocent people. Having no control over the horrible things you do is the same reason I'd list someone like the Winter Soldier.

There are so many animated villains that become ruthless villains for no discernable reason or motivation outside of just being horrible people or opportunists, that it's hard to think of who would be most unsympathetic. I guess guys like Apocalypse or Mr Sinister or the Red Skull that intentionally take themselves to a point of such evil that they can't ever be redeemed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

back when the Harvey Weinstein allegations happened i remember saying "well i'm not surprised he's known for being a jerk to certain movies particularly in his treatment in animated movies he acquired and is known for re-cutting live action flims behind director's backs."
They are still airing New Episodes of Max and Ruby???
Most NBCU networks will air movies with limited ads.
Happy 51st Birthday to MCU Ant-Man's Paul Rudd
Happy 24th Birthday to Bunk'd star Miranda May
Happy 22nd Birthday to Bunk'd and Jessie's Peyton R. List
Happy Birthday to the great Akira Toriyama!