Most expensive cartoons?

powerjake

Banned
What cartoons had to be cancelled for being to expensive with a huge budget for a channel to keep going and it was very short lived. Is there any show that was too much for a company to handle and had to pull the plug on it?.

Pooky

Staff member
I don't know of any cartoon that was cancelled exclusively for being too expensive. John K got fired from Ren & Stimpy partly for this reason, but the show kept going. Family Dog was postponed from its advertised start date in 1991 because much of it needed to be re-animated, which can't have been cheap; perhaps not a coincidence that its 13 episodes were burned off by the network quickly in the summer of 1993.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
Invader Zim. Since that show got cancelled due to being expensive to produced.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I'm guessing the Cartoon Network run of Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Granted, it lasted a long time, but it was hella expensive, and that must have been why it was canceled twice.

I also might put Young Justice in that boat. Why? Besides not having good toy sales to sustain it, when it came back to streaming, the budget was very obviously drastically cut because both the animation and voice-work were actually now VERY shoddy. It's clear one of the stipulations for the show being brought back was not to be so expensive, especially with no toyline for financial back-up.

I also heard that Kids WB wanted more seasons of Static Shock but WB Animation couldn't justify the expense without a toyline.

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
I wouldn't be suprised if Disney buying Lucasfilm was more of a factor in why Cartoon Network cancelled Clone Wars, TBH. It did get moved to Saturday mornings from Friday nights in its last season, after all. Probably a bit of both.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I wouldn't be suprised if Disney buying Lucasfilm was more of a factor in why Cartoon Network cancelled Clone Wars, TBH. It did get moved to Saturday mornings from Friday nights in its last season, after all. Probably a bit of both.
Yeah, probably. But the budget certainly didn't help.

powerjake

Banned
I'm guessing the Cartoon Network run of Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Granted, it lasted a long time, but it was hella expensive, and that must have been why it was canceled twice.

I also might put Young Justice in that boat. Why? Besides not having good toy sales to sustain it, when it came back to streaming, the budget was very obviously drastically cut because both the animation and voice-work were actually now VERY shoddy. It's clear one of the stipulations for the show being brought back was not to be so expensive, especially with no toyline for financial back-up.

I also heard that Kids WB wanted more seasons of Static Shock but WB Animation couldn't justify the expense without a toyline.

It was bound to happen for Cartoon Network to give on The Clone Wars because of phasing out action shows. Also explains why Young Justice was abandoned. Sad that era had dark times of action cartoons getting cancelled.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts