Mortal Kombat (2011) Discussion Thread *Mature Content Warning*

Desensitized

Old School!
Most of the achievements leaked

Unlock all alt costumes is very interesting. Hopefully that means the pre-order codes for the game are just early unlocks for the Krypt as that would be great. No way to know yet, but it sure would beat paying for them.

Also, I want classic Reptile.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
Most of the achievements leaked

Unlock all alt costumes is very interesting. Hopefully that means the pre-order codes for the game are just early unlocks for the Krypt as that would be great. No way to know yet, but it sure would beat paying for them.

Also, I want classic Reptile.
Personally, I think the pre-order codes are for costumes that will be released later (once a period of being a store exlusive is over) as DLC, not for costumes that can be unlocked in the Krypt.

Desensitized

Old School!
Warning: Hidden achievements from TMRK unveil some pretty cool stuff. Don't click if you don't want to be spoiled.

Complet-ality (10 points)
Perform 1 of each type of "-ality"

Finish Him? (10 points)
Perform any fighter's hidden finishing move

Hide and Seek (10 points)
Discover and fight Hidden Kombatant 2 in Arcade Ladder

Pit Master (10 points)
Discover and fight Hidden Kombatant 3 in Arcade Ladder

Brotherhood of Shadow (20 points)
Discover and fight Hidden Kombatant 4 in Arcade Ladder

Ultimate Humiliation (20 points)
Perform every fighter's hidden finishing move

Quan-Tease (20 points)
Unlock Hidden Fighter "Quan Chi"

You Found Me! (10 points)
Discover and fight Hidden Kombatant 1 in Arcade Ladder

Cold Fusion (20 points)
Unlock Hidden Fighter "Cyber Sub-Zero"

Best...Alternate...Ever! (10 points)
Unlock Mileena's 3rd Alternate Costume
Wow, that's some pretty cool stuff.

Cyber Sub Zero?!? Does that mean Human Smoke? I freaking hope so.

defunctzombie

1992 not 2002
Staff member
Best...Alternate...Ever! (10 points)
Unlock Mileena's 3rd Alternate Costume

I don't know how they can "improve" on her alternate from Deception shy of removing it completely. Speaking from experience, any martial art needs a uniform with excellent support to be effective.

Men and their silly costume designs. :p

Marvin Tikvah

Hide and Seek (10 points)
Discover and fight Hidden Kombatant 2 in Arcade Ladder

Pit Master (10 points)
Discover and fight Hidden Kombatant 3 in Arcade Ladder

Brotherhood of Shadow (20 points)
Discover and fight Hidden Kombatant 4 in Arcade Ladder

Quan-Tease (20 points)
Unlock Hidden Fighter "Quan Chi"

You Found Me! (10 points)
Discover and fight Hidden Kombatant 1 in Arcade Ladder

Cold Fusion (20 points)
Unlock Hidden Fighter "Cyber Sub-Zero"

Gotta wonder why two of those characters are revealed, while the rest are simply listed as hidden fighters. Oh well, at least they're not going to be day 1 DLC like I feared.

Desensitized

Old School!
The demo's out for PSN+ users, and already people are finding combos that do massive damage.

If any of you guys have PSN+ and are interested in this game, please share your opinions on the demo. I know I'd love to hear them.

Desensitized

Old School!
*WARNING MASSIVE SPOILERS*

The final roster:

• Scorpion
  • Sub-Zero
  • Liu Kang
  • Kung Lao
  • Sonya
  • Cage
  • Raiden
  • Jax
  • Sektor
  • Cyrax
  • Smoke (human)
  • Nightwolf
  • Stryker
  • Baraka
  • Sheeva
  • Kabal
  • Kano
  • Shang Tsung
  • Kitana
  • Mileena
  • Jade
  • Sindel
  • Ermac
  • Noob Saibot
  • Reptile
  • Goro
  • Kintaro
  • Shao Khan
  • Cyber Sub-Zero
  • Quan Chi
  • (Extra) Kratos
So, 30 fighters total in both versions with DLC characters down the road (and Kratos as an extra)... There will also be alternate costumes for every character and the retro costumes are most likely in the game.

There are also confirmed modes: Arcade, Tag Arcade, Story, Challenge Tower, Versus and the possibility of unlockable modes. You can also play stuff like Test Your Might versus or online as well as 4 player (2 on each team) tag fighting.

All this content should be setting a standard for fighting games.

Eat your heart out, Capcom.
There are still unknown unlockables and whatnot, but consider those 100% confirmed to be in.

EDIT: MK Demo Quicklook

Last edited by a moderator:

BigLouMan20

Dancin' away my worries
Quick thoughts on the demo

Enjoyed it! My gripe is that I don't know any fatalities or x-ray moves. Controls are simple and the combos are something else. I already discovered some killer combos. Once I learn the finishing moves and x-ray, watch out, lol.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
I thought the game played more or less the same as MK Deception and Armageddon, which I don't have a problem with. For some reason, though, it was tougher than necessary to jump kick an opponent. Half the time, the attack just sort of went through the opponent, which was quite odd.

MDawg

Nerfariously planning
Enjoyed it! My gripe is that I don't know any fatalities or x-ray moves. Controls are simple and the combos are something else. I already discovered some killer combos. Once I learn the finishing moves and x-ray, watch out, lol.
This video shows includes Sonya's fatality and it looks like it has on-screen controls for fatalities. Maybe there's some sort of tutorial or easy mode to help people out? I never have any clue how to do a fatality and would love to just have some sort of guidance when trying them out.

Desensitized

Old School!
I still need to try the demo... Gah, the wait is annoying.

This video shows includes Sonya's fatality and it looks like it has on-screen controls for fatalities. Maybe there's some sort of tutorial or easy mode to help people out? I never have any clue how to do a fatality and would love to just have some sort of guidance when trying them out.
The final game includes a fatality trainer where the game teaches you how to preform them. Like where to stand and what not. It's quite the useful tool.

defunctzombie

1992 not 2002
Staff member
I think my like of Kung Lao just increased. That was AWESOME.

But, don't they have a fatality entering mode like the last ones did? That made it a lot easier to actually pull them off (I hate ones that involve the up button).

unknown hero

Chaos Dimension!
I had the chance to play the demo last night. Although it will take a couple of more days before I can make any solid conclusions, I am generally liking it. The controls appear very responsive and it is easy to string moves together into a combo. Some specials are a little awkward to get used to at first (in order to do Sub-Zero's ice ball you need to use a kick button) because of this practicing will be important to understand each character's strengths. Scorpion stands out as a favorite for me, his specials easily blend in with a combo.

Punisher

One Shot At Glory
I really don't understand why 360 owners are getting so shafted with this game.

Desensitized

Old School!
There's supposedly going to be a character reveal on the next GTTV. I'm betting on Kabal or Smoke.

Ed Boon stated there was something more to come on that, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

EDIT: Actually the character reveal is on GTTV right now.

Kabal has been confirmed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eddy

there's a chicken on my head
There seems to be a ongoing trend that the PS3 versions of multiplatform games always get exclusive content for some reason. Batman: Arkham Asylum had the Joker maps, Mortal Kombat has an additional character, hell, Dead Space 2 included the entire game of Dead Space Extraction. I don't know if these developers are just that in love with Sony or there's something going on behind the scenes, but for whatever reason PS3 versions of games seem to get more stuff.

Anyway, I played the demo and to my surprise I actually had a lot of fun with it. I actually think I want it now. It's just too bad it has to come out on the same day as Portal 2.

SkullsandRoses

Loves Cute Couples
201103180117.png

Kabal looks like a fun character to play. Definitely going to try him out when I get this game.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
There seems to be a ongoing trend that the PS3 versions of multiplatform games always get exclusive content for some reason. Batman: Arkham Asylum had the Joker maps, Mortal Kombat has an additional character, hell, Dead Space 2 included the entire game of Dead Space Extraction. I don't know if these developers are just that in love with Sony or there's something going on behind the scenes, but for whatever reason PS3 versions of games seem to get more stuff.
Exception: The PS3 version of Tomb Raider Underworld got shafted when it came to downloadable content. All that went to the 360.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts