Several Cartoon Network Shows Are Getting Removed From Streaming and Purchase Entirely!

Corwin Haught

WBD claimed they were done with the write-offs. Sociopaths always lie.
They were done with the specific write-offs tied to tax consequences from the merger that formed Warner Bros. Discovery. That wasn't a promise to keep everything up beyond that date.

Dr.Pepper

Maybe slightly off topic, but is the complete series of Clarence on Max? I just looked at it on Hulu today and I noticed the last 20 or so episodes are missing. I could have swore the complete series was on Hulu in the past, but maybe I’m just thinking of Max.

Light Lucario

Staff member
It's still such a shame that they're doing this. I didn't care for Fena and Black Lotus was pretty boring, but I don't even like the idea of those shows being removed. Writing off original series certainly can't be worth more than the money they put into making them in the first place. Close Enough felt like a more adult version of Regular Show from what I saw of it and I liked Elliot from Earth, even though now it's probably going to stay on that cliffhanger ending. Regardless of how you feel about these series, I just don't really see the long term gain of making shows only to write them off if they aren't deemed successful enough. It seems especially strange when this seems to happen more often with Cartoon Network than any of the other kids channels.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Maybe slightly off topic, but is the complete series of Clarence on Max? I just looked at it on Hulu today and I noticed the last 20 or so episodes are missing. I could have swore the complete series was on Hulu in the past, but maybe I’m just thinking of Max.
It used to be on Max, but it's not anymore.

Golden Geek

Radio Demon
Staff member
Reporter
Just a reminder to avoid mentioning specific sites, even vaguely, where one could find these shows. Even if it's written off and wiped off streaming, it's still subject to copyright law.

I wonder how exactly the situation with the Crunchyroll originals works. Was WBD somehow able to just write off their portion of the production? Both Blade Runner and Fena are still streaming on Crunchyroll - however, Blade Runner only has the Spanish dub and original with English subs, and Fena is sub-only.

Last edited:

BlooMac

Pretty sure some of these shows aren't even as unsuccessful as WBD is trying to make them out. Infinity Train and Close Enough were trending shows on HBO Max and the former has trended on Twitter multiple times, thanks to fan campaigns. Final Space and Close Enough were often one of the top shows on Netflix internationally. The Final Space graphic novel sold out quickly, and Olan Rodgers' Kickstarter project was also funded successfully. Fena was doing well enough to justify another season, but Crunchyroll wasn't interested, so they screwed Toonami over. I'm pretty sure there was a similar story about Black Lotus and Shenmue.

So, at the very least these "highly unsuccessful flops" were actually doing alright to at least be kept for streaming and purchase somewhere, if not renewed. Also, if these shows were doing so horribly to warrant a full purge from any legal outlet, why were some of them renewed in the first place? Usually, these types of shows are cancelled after the first season, if aired on TV, they are often pulled in the middle of the season from the schedule or death-slotted.

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
I thought the video game industry was horrible about keeping content available and preserved but sadly it seems like the film/TV industry has caught up. Most video games are tied to a certain platform and stop being physically printed and digitally distributed when the system is no longer supported and said software is incompatible with the newer hardware. Unless said games get remastered or emulated on new systems those games are gone. Fair enough. The worst I’ve seen a purge happen in video games is when Konami took down P.T. The demo for Silent Hills which was cancelled. Though P.T. was merely just a teaser. There are so many games that are rare, expensive, and or in high demand because they haven’t been remade or rereleased such as many Sega Saturn and Gamecube games.

With TV shows and movies despite their technical advancements throughout time, they aren’t tied to a specific platform but can be vaulted or used as tax write offs because even if the show or film is fully completed and even if the company owns it, it still costs them money. Close Enough can’t be on cable, digitally distributed and has no physical media release, all that’s left is finding bootleg recordings. If live viewership has dwindled, and physical media is scaled down, digital distribution seriously needs to get it’s act together or else we lose a chunk of animation history.

Otakuninja2006

At this point, I'm done crying for Cartoon Network to be saved. I've already accepted that it's been too late to save CN for several years at this point. The network died(AGAIN) the moment Steven Universe ended......

Except this time, there's not an Adventure Time or Young Justice or Toonami revival or OK, KO or Rick and Morty to save the network..........

harry580

Since when? I honestly don't believe that.
because Warner bros is going to focus more on adult swim than Cartoon Network so they gonna say that adult swim is doing better than Cartoon Network and the fact we in a dark age of family animation (remember the closing of blue sky studios, that closure made me upset)

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
because Warner bros is going to focus more on adult swim than Cartoon Network
I mean.....yeah. So? Adult Swim has gotten better ratings than Cartoon Network than the past few years. This is nothing new. If Adult Swim was getting good ratings, then WBD will be focus more on them. That's just Business 101. You may not like it, I may not like it, but that's just the nature of the beast.

the fact we in a dark age of family animation (don't get me started on the closing of blue sky studios, that closure made me upset)
(sighs) Look, I'm not trying to mean to you, I really don't, but you have to understand that, yes, things are looking are really rough right now, but things will get better eventually. This is not the first animation dark age, and it certainly won't be the last.

Personally, I'm trying my best to stay from all the negativity regarding what's going on with these corporations and the entertainment industry because it's not healthy for me and I don't wanna dwell too much on it since it's a complete waste of time.

Until Hollywood get its financial act together and treats the actors and writers the respect they deserves and paid and protected well, this is gonna be a bumpy ride for a while.

harry580

...bought by Disney?
no, im scared that Warner bros is going to give up cartoon network to focus on adult swim & their adult animated shows like fox did with fox kids & fox family where they dumped those to focus more on adult animated shows

Silverstar

Jet Flyin', Limousine Ridin'
no, im scared that Warner bros is going to give up cartoon network to focus on adult swim & their adult animated shows like fox did with fox kids & fox family where they dumped those to focus more on adult animated shows
Cartoon Network is a global brand with several IPs under its' belt, Fox Kids and Fox Family were not. WBD has too many IPs that are popular with kids and families (Looney Tunes, DC, Cartoon-Cartoons, Hanna-Barbera, Tom & Jerry, Harry Potter, Gremlins, etc.) for them to just up and abandon CN. Even if they pivot the network towards a more adult skewing demographic (which they actually kind of are, as Michael Ouleween has stated that 29 will be their target age group going forward) there will still be a designated window for all-age-friendly IPs. CN can't air the more outre stuff before 5PM, after all.

Honestly, at this point I don't care if we get kids' shows or young adult shows as long as we get good shows.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts