"Moon Girl And Devil Dinosaur" (Animated) News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Anna Gong is a background designer for the series. She previously did layouts for Lego Monkie Kid.

Screenshot_20210426-145006.png

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
04/27:
The art-work, including character designs and backgrounds, in the Marvel toons the past decade has generally been pretty lackluster, or at least most viewers thought this way. I admit I never found it as awful as others made it out to be, but to each their own. I do believe Moon Girl will look better than the recent shows taking into account the animation studios working on it.

07/01:
This is a few days old and it's only a minor thing, but Diamond White briefly talked about the show towards the end of this interview.
Oh yeah – I am also going to be playing Marvel comic book character, Lunella Lafayette (aka Moon Girl) in an upcoming Disney Channel animated series called Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur. This is going to be a different acting experience this time around. I have a great cast and crew of talent, love Lunella’s character, and am thrilled my team is allowing me to have a heavy influence on the creative direction of her style!

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Maybe she has a bit of creative control on how the character is portrayed, like if she asked for Lunella to be a singer like her.

Frontier

Staff member
I wonder what would be different about this than other voice acting gigs for her.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Maybe she has a bit of creative control on how the character is portrayed, like if she asked for Lunella to be a singer like her.
I thought she was talking about how she and Devil Dinosaur switch minds because of her Inhuman ability, so she'd have to play Devil Dinosaur in her body :p.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
07/03:
Derrick Johnson recently started working on the show as a storyboard revisionist. He previously worked as an intern on Ballmastrz 9009 and The Midnight Gospel, and also did work for the upcoming Harriet The Spy cartoon.

Screenshot_20210703-165427.png

Screenshot_20210703-165436.png

07/06:
So this is very surprising. Elizabeth Hara, also known as Liz Hara, is writing for the series. She's mainly known for writing for various Sesame Workshop shows, like Sesame Street, Helpsters, and Esme And Roy. Even with Donkey Hodie and Nature Cat, they're at least created by some of her Sesame Street colleagues.

Screenshot_20210706-164453.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Here's an article with some of Fishburne's comments from the panel I mentioned above. It's nothing too major, but figured it would be worth adding here.
Set to premiere in 2022, Marvel’s Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur is based on a comic series about a 13-year-old super-genius named Lunella Lafayette who accidentally brings a 10-ton T-Rex to present-day New York City, naming him Devil Dinosaur. “I’m somebody who'd collected comic books, both DC and Marvel, and I used to read Moon-Boy and Devil Dinosaur, which is the original book created by Jack Kirby way back in the day,” explained legendary actor Laurence Fishburne, who serves as executive producer on the show. “When they updated it, I went to meet with Louis D’Esposito and the other cats over at Marvel, and we were trying to figure out a way for me to sort of enter into their world. And they showed me that book and they said, ‘What about this?”’ I was like, “‘Yeah, okay, we know what to do with that.’”
“You can't be what you can't see,” Fishburne added, referring to the importance of having characters that kids can connect with in mainstream media. “As a child, it's very important for you to be able to see examples of what you want to be, and to have the opportunity to do that here, to be able to create that for yourself.” With Disney Channel’s huge audience and Marvel’s gigantic fanbase, there seems to be infinite possibilities with this series. “Our animation team has been working really hard on trying to create a look that is kind of fresh and something that is going to catch the eye of the viewer.”

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
It's pretty interesting that he mentions Louis D'Esposito, who has been a big Marvel Studios guy. I think I first saw his name attached to the old Marvel One-Shots and then I saw that he had been involved with the movies all along.

If anybody that high up was involved in getting this off the ground, I hope that's even more of a sign that they're open to animation that doesn't have to be MCU influenced.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ToonJay723

Staff member

Frontier

Staff member
I'm a bit curious about why that specific comic is keeping its creative team secret. I can make out an L and an E. Is Laurence Fishburne the writer of the series? And if so, will it tie-in to the show in any way?
That would be kind of interesting...

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts