"Moon Girl And Devil Dinosaur" (Animated) News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Deadline reports, a "Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur" animated series by Laurence Fishburne is in the works.

EDIT 08/24/201:
Series officially announced at the D23 Expo.
JOgmvTC.jpg

Premiering in 2023
Disney Channel has ordered Marvel's Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, an original animated series based on Marvel's hit comic books, from Disney Television Animation.
Executive produced by Laurence Fishburne and Helen Sugland's Cinema Gypsy Productions (ABC's black-ish), Marvel Animation & Family Entertainment, and Emmy® Award-winner Steve Loter (Disney's Kim Possible), the series follows the adventures of 13-year-old super-genius Lunella Lafayette and her ten-ton T-Rex, Devil Dinosaur. After Lunella accidentally brings Devil Dinosaur into present-day New York City via a time vortex, the duo works together to protect the city's Lower East Side from danger.
The news was announced today by Laurence Fishburne during Disney Television Animation's panel at Disney's D23 Expo. Fishburne said, "As an avid comic book fan, I am thrilled to be involved with 'Marvel's Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur.' Disney Channel is the perfect platform to explore this pint-sized female African American superhero and I can't wait for their audience to enjoy the lighthearted adventures of Lunella and Devil Dinosaur."
Meredith Roberts, senior vice president, Animation Strategy, Disney Channels said, "Disney TV Animation is thrilled to collaborate with renowned producers Laurence, Helen and Steve and the talented Marvel Animation team to bring this modern-day roller-skating, gadget-wielding tween superhero and her larger-than-life partner to Disney Channel."
Cort Lane, senior vice president, Marvel Animation & Family Entertainment said, "Lunella doesn't know she is the smartest person on the planet, but audiences will soon know how very cool Moon Girl is. Her adventures with giant buddy, Devil Dinosaur, are filled with so much wonder and joy, and this historic partnership with Disney Television Animation and Cinema Gypsy Productions proved the right formula to bring them to television."
Jeff Howard (Planes) and Kate Kondell (`) serve as co-producers and story editors.

Comments?

Stay tuned for further updates!

Last edited:

thisguyisnotcool

I'd say that's a good choice for a cartoon. Moon Girl and Marvel Rising are the right direction. Strange no network announced yet. Maybe streaming. And hey we finally got Titmouse on a Marvel toon. :)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
Never thought I'd see Laurence Fishburne would be producing a Marvel cartoon :p.

But a Moon Girl cartoon should be a lot of fun. Lunella feels like a character that lends herself way to animation :).

I also think we're seeing more of the future of Marvel Animation, what with this being a co-production with another company and the animation being handled by Titmouse. Should look pretty cool with them onboard :cool:.

I am curious if this might be the first Marvel cartoon that airs outside Disney XD (not counting Big Hero 6).

SweetShop209

I've never heard of this Moon Girl character, but the way Wikipedia and this article described her, she sounds pretty cool. As for Devil Dinosaur, they'd probably get either Dee Bradley Baker or Steve Blum to reprise the role (the former from The Superhero Squad Show and the latter from Hulk And The Agents Of SMASH).

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
This is something I really didn't expect but I'm curious to see how it goes. First off, Titmouse's involvement is already cool. With Fishburne involved, I wonder what are the chances of Marsai Martin, his granddaughter on Black-Ish, being Moon Girl. Everytime I see Moon Girl, I think it seems as though they designed a character around her.

With this and Marvel Rising, it seems as though Marvel Animation is really actively trying to grab more of a young female audience. I'm not sure how most of the recent shows have done with that demo, though I have seen girls that were huge fans of Ultimate Spider-Man.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dudley

Staff member
Despite being another cartoon about the wacky adventures of a scientific kid genius, this can be a lot of fun! Hopefully, every other episode won’t have her crossover with a more well known Marvel character.
Excited that Titmouse is involved! I hope it gets picked up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SweetShop209

This is something I really didn't expect but I'm curious to see how it goes. First off, Titmouse's involvement is already cool. With Fishburne involved, I wonder what are the chances of Marsai Martin, his granddaughter on Black-Ish, being Moon Girl. Everytime I see Moon Girl, I think it seems as though they designed a character around her.

With this and Marvel Rising, it seems as though Marvel Animation is really actively trying to grab more of a young female audience. I'm not sure how most of the recent shows have done with that demo, though I have seen girls that were huge fans of Ultimate Spider-Man.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
I wouldn't be surprised if Marsai is cast given that she's also been in two Disney cartoons (Jill on Goldie And Bear & Isabel's princess friend in the Elena Of Avalor episode "Olaball").

the greenman

I've never heard of this Moon Girl character, but the way Wikipedia and this article described her, she sounds pretty cool. As for Devil Dinosaur, they'd probably get either Dee Bradley Baker or Steve Blum to reprise the role (the former from The Superhero Squad Show and the latter from Hulk And The Agents Of SMASH).
Think she came out around the time Riri Williams (Iron Man) did.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
I wasn't expecting this to be Laurence Fishburne's secret project. I wonder if the girl who plays his granddaughter on Blackish will be the star.

Frontier

Staff member
I find that kind of surprising given the show generally emphasized the male heroes and had only a marginal female presence, compared to say Marvel's Spider-Man where Gwen and Anya have more prominent roles.
Despite being another cartoon about the wacky adventures of a scientific kid genius, this can be a lot of fun! Hopefully, every other episode won’t have her crossover with a more well known Marvel character.
Excited that Titmouse is involved! I hope it gets picked up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm curious if there will be any crossover with the Marvel U, or, if there is, if it'll be more connected to Marvel Rising then the current Marvel cartoons.
Think she came out around the time Riri Williams (Iron Man) did.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk
I think she predates Riri by a year.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I wasn't expecting these two characters to possibly get their own animated show, let alone Laurence Fishburne or Titmouse's involvement. Pretty cool news, overall.

Apart from targeting another demographic, I think Moon Girl would probably make a more compelling character than Moon-Boy. :p I never read any comics with her but I have at least heard of her before.

This is another case of a team show, but at least this time it's a duo established in the comics. It would be nice if other characters from the Marvel Universe would guest-star occasionally.

I wonder if they'll keep this as the title for the show - I imagine a show with the word "Devil" in it might not be appropriate for Disney Junior.

bigdaddy313

Ok let's see how this looks with co productions and if it looks nice then this is how it should be going forward for Marvel Animations. Titmouse did legend of Korra, that's a good sign.

Greg91

Reporter
I didn't see this coming at all. I'm glad Marvel is using a recent character alongside a lesser-known (to general audiences) classic character instead of Spider-Man, Avengers, other movie characters, rinse, repeat. It's pretty cool that this is the project Laurence Fishburne is working on. It's interesting to see Titmouse on another Marvel show after Black Panther: The Animated Series.

I would like to see a guest star here and there like Riri Williams, Black Panther and Shuri, Moon Boy, or the Fantastic Four, but otherwise, I hope the show focuses on Lunella relationship with her parents, her classmates, and Devil. It's also interesting because Jack Kirby creating Devil Dinosaur with an animated series in mind back in the 70s. It just took a few decades to come to fruition.

With new seasons of Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy and Spider-Man, as well as Big Hero 6, Deadpool and Moon Girl/Devil Dinosaur, it looks like Marvel in animation is improving quite a bit and looking even better going into the future.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
It would be nice to hear an update or something about this. Maybe it will be one of those "surprise reveals" they teased for Comic-Con, though I kind of doubt it. Between Avengers, Guardians and Marvel Super Hero Adventures, the Marvel Animation panel seems to be full already (not to mention it's only half an hour long this time). And I don't see them announcing something about this at the Marvel Rising panels.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Last time that I tried searching for any loose tidbits online about a month or more ago, all that I saw was this.
CV: I heard you are working on something for Marvel?
Chris: Yeah what I’ll say about the Marvel thing, I’m sure you’re talking about MOON GIRL & DEVIL DINOSAUR?
CV: Yeah, absolutely.
Chris: Because all of that PR is controlled by Disney and Marvel, I am not going to say anything about that, because I do not want to get in trouble. They have to approve any word that’s said about anything that we do for that so ask me another time.
Titmouse Talks Animation - ComicsVerse

Animation is one thing that Marvel TV is especially tight-lipped about until it's pretty close to being available to the public. We probably wouldn't even have heard as much as we did with that press statement already if Fishburne's production company wasn't involved. I don't believe that we're close to seeing this cartoon yet, assuming that it's currently in production, so I wouldn't expect to hear anything. My personal theory is that this show is possibly going to the streaming service, so it might be even longer before we get news.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts