"Moon Girl And Devil Dinosaur" (Animated) News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
8,285 6
A Valid Location
Deadline reports, a "Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur" animated series by Laurence Fishburne is in the works.
Marvel’s Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur follows the adventures of nine-year-old super-genius Lunella Lafayette, an African-American girl who teams up with her crimson-colored dinosaur and uses her smarts to save the day.
Marvel Animation is producing with Cinema Gypsy Productions, with visual development and animation production by Titmouse, Inc.
The project is still in development and it has not been decided yet which of Disney Channels Worldwide’s domestic outlets — Disney Channel, Disney XD or Disney Junior — it would air on if it gets a green light.
Marvel’s Moon Girl And Devil Dinosaur falls under the overall deal Fishburne’s Cinema Gypsy Productions has with ABC Studios. Under the pact, Fishburne and his longtime manager and producing partner Sugland are developing new projects for the studio in addition to their duties as executive producers on praised comedy series black-ish at ABC, on which Fishburne also co-stars, and spinoff grown-ish at Freeform.
Comments?

Stay tuned for further updates!

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,808 47
Sherman Oaks CA
Never thought I'd see Laurence Fishburne would be producing a Marvel cartoon :p.

But a Moon Girl cartoon should be a lot of fun. Lunella feels like a character that lends herself way to animation :).

I also think we're seeing more of the future of Marvel Animation, what with this being a co-production with another company and the animation being handled by Titmouse. Should look pretty cool with them onboard :cool:.

I am curious if this might be the first Marvel cartoon that airs outside Disney XD (not counting Big Hero 6).

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
Ratings
2,871 9
I've never heard of this Moon Girl character, but the way Wikipedia and this article described her, she sounds pretty cool. As for Devil Dinosaur, they'd probably get either Dee Bradley Baker or Steve Blum to reprise the role (the former from The Superhero Squad Show and the latter from Hulk And The Agents Of SMASH).

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
Ratings
2,516 4
177A Bleecker Street
This is something I really didn't expect but I'm curious to see how it goes. First off, Titmouse's involvement is already cool. With Fishburne involved, I wonder what are the chances of Marsai Martin, his granddaughter on Black-Ish, being Moon Girl. Everytime I see Moon Girl, I think it seems as though they designed a character around her.

With this and Marvel Rising, it seems as though Marvel Animation is really actively trying to grab more of a young female audience. I'm not sure how most of the recent shows have done with that demo, though I have seen girls that were huge fans of Ultimate Spider-Man.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,800 29
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
Despite being another cartoon about the wacky adventures of a scientific kid genius, this can be a lot of fun! Hopefully, every other episode won’t have her crossover with a more well known Marvel character.
Excited that Titmouse is involved! I hope it gets picked up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
Ratings
2,871 9
This is something I really didn't expect but I'm curious to see how it goes. First off, Titmouse's involvement is already cool. With Fishburne involved, I wonder what are the chances of Marsai Martin, his granddaughter on Black-Ish, being Moon Girl. Everytime I see Moon Girl, I think it seems as though they designed a character around her.

With this and Marvel Rising, it seems as though Marvel Animation is really actively trying to grab more of a young female audience. I'm not sure how most of the recent shows have done with that demo, though I have seen girls that were huge fans of Ultimate Spider-Man.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
I wouldn't be surprised if Marsai is cast given that she's also been in two Disney cartoons (Jill on Goldie And Bear & Isabel's princess friend in the Elena Of Avalor episode "Olaball").

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
Ratings
3,035 5 1
the point of no return
I've never heard of this Moon Girl character, but the way Wikipedia and this article described her, she sounds pretty cool. As for Devil Dinosaur, they'd probably get either Dee Bradley Baker or Steve Blum to reprise the role (the former from The Superhero Squad Show and the latter from Hulk And The Agents Of SMASH).
Think she came out around the time Riri Williams (Iron Man) did.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,808 47
Sherman Oaks CA
I find that kind of surprising given the show generally emphasized the male heroes and had only a marginal female presence, compared to say Marvel's Spider-Man where Gwen and Anya have more prominent roles.
Despite being another cartoon about the wacky adventures of a scientific kid genius, this can be a lot of fun! Hopefully, every other episode won’t have her crossover with a more well known Marvel character.
Excited that Titmouse is involved! I hope it gets picked up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm curious if there will be any crossover with the Marvel U, or, if there is, if it'll be more connected to Marvel Rising then the current Marvel cartoons.
Think she came out around the time Riri Williams (Iron Man) did.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk
I think she predates Riri by a year.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
8,285 6
A Valid Location
I wasn't expecting these two characters to possibly get their own animated show, let alone Laurence Fishburne or Titmouse's involvement. Pretty cool news, overall.

Apart from targeting another demographic, I think Moon Girl would probably make a more compelling character than Moon-Boy. :p I never read any comics with her but I have at least heard of her before.

This is another case of a team show, but at least this time it's a duo established in the comics. It would be nice if other characters from the Marvel Universe would guest-star occasionally.

I wonder if they'll keep this as the title for the show - I imagine a show with the word "Devil" in it might not be appropriate for Disney Junior.

Greg91

Reporter
Dec 30, 2013
Ratings
1,768 5
Canada
I didn't see this coming at all. I'm glad Marvel is using a recent character alongside a lesser-known (to general audiences) classic character instead of Spider-Man, Avengers, other movie characters, rinse, repeat. It's pretty cool that this is the project Laurence Fishburne is working on. It's interesting to see Titmouse on another Marvel show after Black Panther: The Animated Series.

I would like to see a guest star here and there like Riri Williams, Black Panther and Shuri, Moon Boy, or the Fantastic Four, but otherwise, I hope the show focuses on Lunella relationship with her parents, her classmates, and Devil. It's also interesting because Jack Kirby creating Devil Dinosaur with an animated series in mind back in the 70s. It just took a few decades to come to fruition.

With new seasons of Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy and Spider-Man, as well as Big Hero 6, Deadpool and Moon Girl/Devil Dinosaur, it looks like Marvel in animation is improving quite a bit and looking even better going into the future.

Mr.O

Sep 21, 2016
Ratings
325 3
Ha! I actually followed Moon Girl for like the first 10 issues. Though I couldn't bring myself to keep reading it, I always felt that the premise would lend itself to a cartoon fantastically. Nice to see someone else thought so too.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
8,285 6
A Valid Location
It would be nice to hear an update or something about this. Maybe it will be one of those "surprise reveals" they teased for Comic-Con, though I kind of doubt it. Between Avengers, Guardians and Marvel Super Hero Adventures, the Marvel Animation panel seems to be full already (not to mention it's only half an hour long this time). And I don't see them announcing something about this at the Marvel Rising panels.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
Ratings
2,516 4
177A Bleecker Street
Last time that I tried searching for any loose tidbits online about a month or more ago, all that I saw was this.
CV: I heard you are working on something for Marvel?
Chris: Yeah what I’ll say about the Marvel thing, I’m sure you’re talking about MOON GIRL & DEVIL DINOSAUR?
CV: Yeah, absolutely.
Chris: Because all of that PR is controlled by Disney and Marvel, I am not going to say anything about that, because I do not want to get in trouble. They have to approve any word that’s said about anything that we do for that so ask me another time.
Titmouse Talks Animation - ComicsVerse

Animation is one thing that Marvel TV is especially tight-lipped about until it's pretty close to being available to the public. We probably wouldn't even have heard as much as we did with that press statement already if Fishburne's production company wasn't involved. I don't believe that we're close to seeing this cartoon yet, assuming that it's currently in production, so I wouldn't expect to hear anything. My personal theory is that this show is possibly going to the streaming service, so it might be even longer before we get news.

Last edited: