Miraculous Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir - Series Talkback (Spoilers)

jaylop97

Staff member
Mimes aren't particularly known for being villains.
Oh there have been mimes as villains before, Le Mime from Xiaolin Showdown :D, but jokes aside he was used as well as a way of comedic relief, so that is something they did manage to do differently here.

As for the episode it was really light on being assertive towards the wrong doing that occurred really it felt more or less unjust to what happened and the resolution not so great but somehow I felt the episode was somewhat enjoyable, action mainly being the case I guess.

Neo Yi

Joustus!
Staff member
Reporter
The whole conflict felt a bit odd to me in that it relied so much on the victim of the week being known for his excuses at work when we didn't actually see any evidence for that. Yeah, he's a minor character who will probably only be in this episode, but it still felt a bit too much telling and not enough showing.

I assumed the whole "he's always late for work" excuse was really his understudy having sabotaged the other times he's had to meet them on location, baring in mind the one time he was getting his hat fixed. Least, that was the implication I got.

Plus, everything being instantly forgiven at the end despite how the other actor unintentionally put countless people in danger and stole his role bothered me a bit. They probably wanted everyone to get a happy ending, but it didn't feel like it was deserved.

See, I'm more bemused that Ladybug can get away with letting a villain cut the Eiffel Tower because she knows she can fix it in the end. It must be lovely having consequence-free powers; it lets you nearly risk civilian lives, disregard an old and well-known French historical structure, and almost get a bridge destroyed. I know the series is suppose to be happy and sunshine and there's nothing wrong with that, but you can't tell me there isn't some Average Joe complaining about the heroes' recklessness. Because that is severely reckless.

The conflict with Marinette was also a bit forced. I can understand panicking over a mistake and thinking that someone would be upset at you, even if you know them, as a result, but it seemed like such a non-issue. Given that Alya is such a big Ladybug fan, she would either have already copies of the video elsewhere like what happened or there would be a way to get the video back. It's nice that Marinette wanted to help her out and all, but it just felt too minor and cliched for me to really worry about in the end.

Yeah, a bit forced at the start, but I liked how it progressed. Sure, it's a non-issue, but there's always at least one mundane thing Marinette or her friends gets into that's resolved at the end. Personally, I really did love the ending solution because it shows Ayla's understanding of her friend and some gentle teasing only buddies do. I think this is a reaction Ayla would have done, so it was believable. The end where Ladybug grants Ayla an interview is also heartfelt.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
I didn't expect the show to take off so much. It's a lot more popular than I imagined. And it's also a lot better. In a way it's catchy and I can understand why even though I'm way outside its demographic.

Tommy Lawson

Staff member
I didn't expect the show to take off so much. It's a lot more popular than I imagined. And it's also a lot better. In a way it's catchy and I can understand why even though I'm way outside its demographic.

I'll say that for markets outside the U.S., it seems to be popular. Certainly in France, it is quite a popular cartoon. Nickelodeon appears to have very little interest in continuing the show, airing the new episodes on Saturday nights on Nicktoons, and no Nickelodeon airings at all. Before getting to the new episode, I want to mention upcoming Miraculous Ladybug products.

From TVShowsonDVD, Shout Factory will release a new DVD with episodes 8 to 13 on DVD August 9, in the same Nickelodeon/Nicktoons airing order. Also, Bleeding Cool has the cover art for the Miraculous Ladybug comic books in July, which is from the TV show. The villain on the cover in the #2 issue makes perfect sense. However, I would have preferred variant covers based on the 2D Miraculous Ladybug, along with a 2D art style for the comic, although it may be a bit early to be asking for that, less than a year after the show premiered.

As for the actual episode aired, Princess Fragrance, she is actually an akumatized Rose, thus the pun of her name and the smells associated with it becoming the theme of the villain. A sick Tikki stifles the ability for Marinette to transform into Ladybug, and at one point, Marinette has to outsmart Princess Fragrance without using her Ladybug powers, which was a refreshing change of pace. However, the flip side of doing that is the time between Ladybug using her Lucky Charm and the villain's defeat may be one of the shortest, if not the shortest, in the entire season. Also, Ladybug had to battle Cat Noir who was under the perfume spell, although I am curious if the opera-like singing commands Cat Noir was saying, like "Give me your miraculous!" was also present in the French version of the episode.

Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member
I though that this episode was pretty good. The conflict with Tiki being sick and separated from Marinette was interesting. I was hoping that going to the healer would lead into some new information about the history of Ladybug, but Marinette is still really desperate to keep it a secret, even it it means making a terribly fake lie that no one could possibly buy. It might come into play more later, but I still liked the conflict itself. Marinette actually had to fight the villain as herself for awhile, which was refreshing. I also like it when Marinette shows more of the confident and courage she has as Ladybug when she's herself.

Chloe has always been insufferable, but I think this episode officially made her so evil that she couldn't possibly be human. She wanted to be with the prince, which was typical, but she wanted him to forget about helping sick children so that he could focus on her. Why not just show her kicking a few injured puppies or just going full on Cruella Deville by gleefully talking about murdering puppies in order to make a fashionable fur coat? The fact that I could see Chloe doing either one of those things is a really huge red flag. There's a difference between the stereotypical stuck up rich kid and being a completely heartless monster. I think being so self-centered that you don't want someone to care about sick children crosses that line big time. Showing no care for her father once he was under the villain's spell didn't help either. And yes, she didn't get the prince at the end and we're suppose to laugh at her misery, but that's not enough payback for how awful Chloe was here. At this point, I don't think that there's any room to give her redeemable qualities and the show would be honestly better off without her. This show does not need a typical bully/stuck up rich kid anyway.

Ladybug fighting off Cat Noir was interesting and they didn't even have much interaction during this episode, which was different. I liked that she was able to figure out a way to stop the perfume from covering Paris before using Lucky Charm. How she was able to defeat the villain was pretty quick, but it made sense given what was the main weapon. I did like that Rose got to be with the Prince for awhile mainly due to how she was crushed so hard at the beginning of the episode. Overall, it was a pretty good episode.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Chloe really isn't human. No one can be that mean. That was my first thought when I saw her for the first time.

This show is absolutely terrible.

Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member
Even with my problems with the show, I still wouldn't call the show flat out terrible. It's certainly no where near as good as the hype made it out to be and the wasted potential does make it disappointing at times, but it's usually a decent watch. At worst, I'd call it mediocre, but an enjoyable kind of mediocre at best if that makes any sense.

Chloe, on the other hand, is absolutely terrible and is easily one of the worst characters I've ever seen. She's so insufferable, unlikable, annoying and just a flat out monster. She brings the show down quite a bit when she gets more focus. Even with Chloe being in the front center here, I'd probably consider this episode one of the best ones thus far. It was still refreshing with Marinette being on her own for awhile, having to heal Tiki before being able to transform and defeating the villain without Cat Noir. It provided something different from the status quo, which helped to make the episode more interesting and enjoyable.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
It doesn't help that Miraculous reminds me too much of an annoying Belgian show called Mega Mindy.
It's about a woman called Mieke who works for a really bad local police corps. She secretly turns into Mega Mindy every time there is some kind of crime.

Mieke has a crush on another agent called Toby, but he has a crush on Mega Mindy... :rolleyes:

To make it even more annoying: Mega Mindy can't fight for more than 1 minute (''Mega Mindy, your time's almost up!'') but the criminals are extremely weak, so it's not a big deal. For some reason there is never any time left to kiss Toby.

According to Wikipedia, Toby and Mieke kiss at the end of season 4, and then she lets turn Toby into Mega Toby.
I wouldn't be surprised if it takes even longer for Adrien to find out who Ladybug is :p

Light Lucario

Staff member
Given how much they're milking the whole "will they/won't they" drama right from the start, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't find out about their identities until the end of the series. That tends to happen with a lot of romances in TV shows. They don't want to write about a relationship. They just want to tease the audience about the prospect of a relationship. They might be able to go somewhere more with it in the future since they already have two more seasons to work with and I would prefer them to actually deal with their identities instead of keeping it a secret, but that might be hoping for too much. I'd accept a less episodic format for their future seasons though.

This show is bad. Since I live in France, I saw the entire first seasons (except one episode but I won't miss much). It sucked. The stories are boring, the characters are either bland or downright frustrating (Chloe...), and the formulaic nature of each episode turned me off very quickly, to the point I questioned myself why I was watching what I was watching. However, if Nick gets rid of this show, I'll be sorry for his fans. Instead of getting good stuff from France like Kaeloo, the US get trash like this or Get Blake! I'm ashamed by this.

Light Lucario

Staff member
If Nick does get rid of the show after the first season, which wouldn't be too surprising given how it's been already pushed aside to Nicktoons, I could see fans being pretty unhappy and angry about it. For some reason, Miraculous Ladybug does have a strong fanbase, at least from what I've seen online based on all of the fanart and praise for the show, so not being able to see the dub would result in some angry responses. I wouldn't be surprised if they just aired the rest of the first season and never touched the show again. I might still check out at least the second season to see if they have any improvements even if it doesn't air on Nicktoons, but it would be pretty low on my list of shows to watch too.

jaylop97

Staff member
Ha that is really something, once a show gets shipped of to Nicktoons it tends to stay there, hope the Nick crew have bigger plans to keep this show solid on Nick then.

Tommy Lawson

Staff member
According to this, it will be back on Nick this summer.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BFm_iB4SQx9/

Ha that is really something, once a show gets shipped of to Nicktoons it tends to stay there, hope the Nick crew have bigger plans to keep this show solid on Nick then.

Maybe it will take back the Sunday 7:00 p.m. time slot once The Other Kingdom finishes its run? Considering the low ratings that show has received, it won't surprise me if Nickelodeon replaces it at the first opportunity it can without breaking airing contracts. Then again, Nickelodeon could change their minds again and not air it on Nickelodeon at all.

Frontier

Staff member
How many Akumatized villains has Chloe been, however indirectly, responsible for creating at this point? She's had at least some role in the creation of Dark Cupid, Horrificator, Lady Wifi, Rogercop, Evillustrator, and now Princess Fragrance. She's an awful person in general and has arguably been helping Hawk Moth on repeated occasions, so you have to wonder how dangerous she could be when she's actually turned into a villain :eek:?

Dudley

Staff member
I hope Chloe becomes an actual villain for Marinette and Ladybug in the second season. That's rarely been done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keogamer

I was initially looking forward to this show after being treated to well design female hero show like Lolirock, star vs the forces of EVIL but this show just terrible in my opinion. It snot providing an interesting story, a a role model for girls to look up to, or doing anything innovative outside of the magical girl stuff.

what is even Lady bug locket power is? its just spawn random things and marionette has to innovate or be unorthodox with them. While Cat Noir at least have piratical abilities though all residing to physical abilities.. What was this stick suppose to do? reinforce gender troupe that woman have to use their mind while male have to use brawn?

I never seen the original anime to compare or finished the series after Stormy Weather I just stopped dealing with the show (seen random episode due to nick poor scheduling). I can't codon how irresponsible marionette {shrugging off responsibility) is.

Light Lucario

Staff member
How many Akumatized villains has Chloe been, however indirectly, responsible for creating at this point? She's had at least some role in the creation of Dark Cupid, Horrificator, Lady Wifi, Rogercop, Evillustrator, and now Princess Fragrance. She's an awful person in general and has arguably been helping Hawk Moth on repeated occasions, so you have to wonder how dangerous she could be when she's actually turned into a villain :eek:?

She's arguably even more of a villain than Hawk Moth in a sense. Not only because of how many Akumatized villains she's been responsible for creating, but her father being the mayor and doing whatever he can to satisfy her spoiled attitude shows that she has a greater impact on their city in general. Hawk Moth is just kind of there. He's basically Dr. Claw in that he keeps saying that he'll get Ladybug next time. It's kind of hard to take him as a serious threat at this point. While the show doesn't need someone like Chloe, it is pretty bad when she's more of a threat to Paris than Hawk Moth.

I would be okay if she became a villain for Ladybug and Cat Noir though. And not as an Akumatized villain, but maybe she could get her own powers somehow and become a super villain. It would give them someone to deal with who isn't just a one-off villain and it would be more fitting for someone like Chloe to become a villain if she was given powers too. Although, I'd be worried if they just to redeem her at some point, which I think it's far too late to do that when she wanted someone to focus on her instead of sick children. The best choice they could make would be to write her out of the series completely. There are other problems with this show, but getting rid of Chloe would be such a good step in the right direction.

tucsoncoyote

Time to get my "Game face" on
I've already seen all of season 1, and I have to say that to me this show has the vibe of not only just Kim Possible , but also a bit of Spiderman and Sailor Moon Thrown in..

Now as for the villain? Hawkmoth is just pure evil and it's not until the end of season 1 that we finally find ou twhat hsi motives really are, and why he wasn't Ladybug's earrings, and Chat Noir's Ring..Now as for who Hawk Moth is, well, it's anyone's guess, and I'm betting that we won't know until Season 3, (or at least the end of Season 2.

Now if you think that this show isn't popular, the reality is, it is, and in fact, I loved every last episode, And it's kind of odd that for a partner, Shat, put's his life on the line to PRotect either Marinette, and or Ladybug. (Though it's also sinteresting to note that both Chat and Ladybug, are the alter eog's of their normal selves (Again another nod to superheros secret identities),

Now as for the weapons, it's interesting to note that Chat uses a staff (Fery fitting for a device, but a Yo Yo? Well surpring to say, the Yo Yo is actually a weapon.. I kid you not.. (Look up Yo Yo and you'll see it's a weapon.. It's interesting for Ladybug to wield such a device, and to use it effectively.. (But what gets me is the Episode "The Puppet Master" where she doesn't use 1 but 2 yo-yos to use as a shield.. to deflect all the attacks..

Now of the supporting cast, I have to give Kudos to Nino and Alya, Now these two are rather intersting to say the least..

Chloe and Lila/Volpina, and Sabrina are the perfect poils here, I mean Volpina could be the opposing force in season 2, (or mnaybe she comes to her senses and joins up.. it's hard to say what Lila will do.. As for Chloe, the Antibug Episode shows that she could be a thjreat if she were to turn evil and become Anti-bug perfectly..

So of the others in the supporting cast are nice to have as Villains..Rose as Princess Fragerance, is one and the Puppet Master episode was down right evil.. 5 on 1? Not very sporting odds, consideirng that 1 of the villains was Chat himself.

But the real surprise is if and when Hawk moth, and his Akumas finally hit Home, and I mean Hit home hard..

I have this nagging feeling that Marinettes family will be in More danger than you can realize and her friends have een shoen to go evil as well. so what's not stopping Hawkmoth from really hitting hard, and going after the parents..(Namely Marinette's parents..
but we shall wee what happens in Season 2... And let's hope that Nick can keep this streak going... after all the one character that sticks out the most is the enigmatic Master Fu, what his whole scheme in this is still a mystery, but I have a feeling that before the series is over, that we'll see what part he does play in it..

Now as for the small nitpics out there, I only really have one.. and this is in relation to the amount of time both Marinette and Adrien can hold their "Superhero selves together, and it's explained all in the seaon 1 closer.. (5 minutes is not enough time to defeat the bad guys and in fact I think the real answer liees both inside of Tikki and Plagg, maybe their information was wrong, but then who knows...but 5 minutes to me seems a bit short to defveat a villain...)

Anyway let's hope that Season 2 is better than seaosn 1, and hopefully the stor\y will develop into a nice little surprise, for all of us,

Tucsoncoyote:coyote:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts