Miraculous Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir - Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Tommy Lawson

Staff member
May 23, 2002
Las Vegas, NV
After last week's episode had characters acting, well, out-of-character, this week's episode, Simon Says, returns to what we expect the characters to act like. The most obvious connection between this episode and the Ladybug & Cat Noir origin episode, that appears to establish Hawk Moth is Gabriel Agreste, is the picture of Adrien's mom seen with the moth brooch miraculous, and her image reappears in this episode. However, it is possible that trying to point out the obvious "Gabriel is Hawk Moth" is meant to be a red herring when Hawk Moth's true identity is revealed. As Ladybug once said about Mr. Pigeon, "it's too...easy." Or it could be than trying to find an answer other than the obvious one is "overthinking" it.

Also, this episode was one of those "money saving" type episodes by using some of the same settings and premise as a previous episode, Stormy Weather. The same host, Kidz+ channel logo (that looks like the orange-on-white Nickelodeon logo color swapped), and the same "loser is embarrassed and gets akumatized before leaving the building" setup. The twist here, is that Simon Says wants revenge against Gabriel Agreste, who refused his challenge, not Ladybug and Cat Noir, and is more concerned about finding Gabriel than fighting the two superheroes. Interestingly, last week, the two superheroes were at Marinette's house, now this week they are at Adrien's, which has a security system, but fails to stop the intrusion. Gabriel gets captured, and taken back to the TV studio, where he is hypnotized into trying to imitate a plane taking off and goes to the roof. Ladybug manages to defeat Simon Says with Cat Noir's help, a regular yo-yo created with the Lucky Charm, and stop Gabriel's hypnotized behavior.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
I thought that this episode was okay. The whole teenage superhero getting in trouble with their parents for their double life cliche was kind of weak and felt ultimately unnecessary for the plot other than a little wink at the audience at the end. The secret identity trope still kind of bugs me with this show. It makes sense to not tell her family or friends, even though it would help with covering for her double life and have extra support too, but it really doesn't make sense for Ladybug and Cat Noir to keep their secret identities from each other. While it was kind of funny to see Ladybug act more like Marinette around Adrien and Adrien being nervous around Ladybug was kind of cute, it did remind me of how this kind of setup for a superhero team just doesn't work. I thought that they made their team up themselves before the origin story, but knowing that they were always going to be partners before kind of makes it worse. It would be like a new Power Rangers team being created, but each member has to keep their identity a secret from the others. They just wanted it to keep the will they/won't they drama going, but it's way more distracting and annoying than something that could get me invested in the relationship.

Simon Says was a weird villain. His outfit looked like a strange mash-up between the Joker and Riddler's. His motivation was kind of weak, especially when the TV host was just as much to blame for thinking that his hypnotism worked like that. We did get more obvious signs as to who Hawk Month is. It is possible that it's just a red hearing given how obvious it is at that point, but I think that would just be a weak attempt to surprise the audience than anything else. Gabriel was trying to take Ladybug's earnings, almost tried to take Cat Noir's ring, was surprised when he saw Adrien's ring before and we didn't get our usual Haw Month having his Dr. Claw like speech at the end after Ladybug restored everything back to normal. There is no way that he isn't Hawk Month at this point.

I kind of liked how Cat Noir reacted when he yelled at his father. He loves the freedom he has as Cat Noir, but he's still nervous about yelling at his father. I will say that the fight had a bit more tension given that Simon Says' power could have given them a pretty easy victory. I also liked that Ladybug's Lucky Charm power was a bit different than before and she had to restore everything first instead of after taking care of the butterfly in order to fix her magical Yo-Yo.

I thought that the ending with Adrien and his father was surprisingly and genuinely touching. It showed that Gabriel does really care about his son and Adrien was happy about having a nice moment with his father for once. Given some of the photos on his phone, it looks like his mother passed on, as I assume she's dead at this point, not too long ago. He doesn't look much older from those photos, so the pain is probably fresh for him. Overall, it was an okay episode.

Tommy Lawson

Staff member
May 23, 2002
Las Vegas, NV
Today's episode, Pixelator, ranks near the bottom of my least favorite Miraculous episodes. Well, while the villain did have an interesting premise, as he can digitize people into white space by taking their photograph, when push came to shove, rather than transform into Cat Noir instantly, which was the more urgent need at the time with others in danger of being digitized, and disregard revealing his identity to Chloe, he chose to stay in the white space as Adrien. Look, I know superheroes usually have secret identities, but if you're trapped in a space with possibly no way out, you would think the secret identity thing would take a back seat.

And the other aspect of this episode was Ladybug fighting without the aid of her partially digitized arm and then leg. Neither of those should have been as troublesome as they made it out to be, since Ladybug could likely still roll around. And of all the ways the Lucky Charm could have been used, what did it create? It was the thing most people could have figured out in a few seconds when they saw what Pixelator was doing: a mirror. That was such an easy way out by the writers IMHO. They could have created a memory card that would have disabled the camera as one potential example. And Ladybug shouts, "Miraculous Ladybug!" to free the trapped people with the lucky charm, and it is afterwards when she destroys the device with the akuma, and after that, Pixealator is transformed back into the real world and human form. Are they even following their own rules for de-evilizing here, or are they just making this up so it's convenient to fit the 22 minute episode?

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
I thought that this was a pretty bad episode. Normally, the villain of the week are still victims to some extent or another, but Pixelator was a creep even before turning into a villain. Granted, the show established this before and after his transformation, but it kind of bothered me that the stuck up rich rock star was in the right for not wanting to deal with a harassing stalker fan. Also, there was way too much Chloe in this episode, which for me is pretty much being in any scene for more than a few seconds. She's just so annoying and stuck up. Not getting to get a concert ticket at the end for some backpack doesn't really make up for how insufferable she was. I was really hoping for Chloe to be left in that empty void.

It also seemed a bit odd to me that they included a message about doing the work right the first time with Marinette's job at the hotel. Not only did it feel forced, it felt a bit out of character for Marinette. Sure, she'd want to get a chance to spend time with Adrien, but she's usually pretty responsible. Tiki giving her life lessons before the villain attacked just seemed kind of weird to me.

The idea of Ladybug having to work on her own for most of the episode was kind of interesting and I thought that she'd defeat Pixelator without Cat Noir's help, especially when he was stuck with Chloe. While trying to transform when they were in danger would have been reasonable, especially when Cat Noir's powers allowed for people to escape from the photographs, I don't really blame him for not wanting to do so in front of Chloe. Chloe is the last person in the universe who should be aware of neither of their secret identities. She would not keep it a secret and would to be with Adrien even more, which would make her more insufferable, so I don't blame him for that.

Pixelator did have a pretty good costume and power, but I get the impression that they made him too powerful in a way. Ladybug lost an arm and a leg fighting him and as a result, she was pretty much pushed into a corner. If it wasn't for feeding into his desire to get a picture with the rock star, she could have been captured easily. It felt more like the writers put themselves into a corner rather than Ladybug being clever. Her Lucky Charm turning into a mirror was a bit more predictable than other cases. It was effective in that he wouldn't see it coming given its small size, but it did feel like it wasn't as creative as before. Overall, it was a pretty weak episode.

Tommy Lawson

Staff member
May 23, 2002
Las Vegas, NV
I still have not seen anything about Nickelodeon signing on to air a season 2, and their name was noticeably absent from the season 2 and 3 renewal articles, so the May 2017 date could very well be for TF1 in France.

I thought that this was a pretty bad episode. Normally, the villain of the week are still victims to some extent or another, but Pixelator was a creep even before turning into a villain. Granted, the show established this before and after his transformation, but it kind of bothered me that the stuck up rich rock star was in the right for not wanting to deal with a harassing stalker fan.
And now the stuck up rich rock star gets his own episode to be the star, after being featured in two previous episodes. This is one of the very few episodes in the first season outside the origin episodes, where the episode must follow the events of a previous Miraculous episode: Pixelator in this case, since Jagged Stone has Marinette's Eiffel Tower glasses.

While the plot is rather basic to get Jagged angry enough to be akumatized, as a guy named "Mr. XY" is taking over the music charts, and Mr. XY insults Jagged Stone on TV, it is his villain form that is the real star here, even though he does have a really simple name: Guitar Villain. Yes, "villain" is actually part of the name of the villain-of-the-day here. "Rock Man" makes me think of this character, so that was out, but even a name like "Guitar Akuma" would have been a much better fit.

Anyway, the voice actors in this episode, from Jagged Stone, to Hawk Moth, and Marinette, all appear to be having a lot of fun voicing their lines this time. Lines are twisted around to fit the music theme of the episode, like Hawk Moth saying, "Go find that Jagged Stone and rock his world!" as well as Ladybug's regular lines. No effort is made to disguise the fact Guitar Villain is Jagged Stone, keeping the "Jagged Stone vs. Mr. XY" theme throughout the episode. The Eiffel Tower is used once again here for the climatic battle, although this time it is at night. The Lucky Charm was more surprising than last time. Ladybug once again had to rescue someone falling from the top of the Eiffel Tower.

The highlight of this episode for me was very a simple thing that was a shout out to a previous episode. When Guitar Villain plays his guitar, and yells, "Rock and rift, baby!" he sends everyone into a dancing frenzy, including Mr. Ramier, the guy from "Mr. Pigeon" and four pigeons he was feeding!

Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
I heard about the new season premiere date, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just for France instead of Nickelodeon. Given that they started to air episodes again with some bit of promotion, or bumps for the commercial breaks at least, I suppose that they could still air the new season.

Anyway, I thought that this episode was okay. I did like how this followed up on events from the previous episode for once with Jagged Stone wanting Marinette to do his album cover after being impressed with those glasses she made. The whole lesson about following her instinct still felt a bit tacked on, but not as much as doing the best she can right away like last week and Marinette's conflict was a bit more reasonable given her nervous personality.

While I understand that they needed to get Jagged Stone all upset over Mr. XY's success, it was kind of distracting since I kept thinking that the music business probably doesn't work quite like that. Everyone wants to be number one, but being number two on the charts certainly isn't awful. Guitar Villain was a really lame name, even though it took me the longest time to get the connection with Guitar Hero. The gator dragon was pretty awesome though.

The fight around the Eiffel Tower was pretty cool, especially with Ladybug and Cat Noir flying on the dragon. The Lucky Charm just being harispray seemed a bit simplistic, but it was okay. It was kind of nice how Cat Noir got an autograph from Jagged Stone right after he wasn't a villain anymore. Marinette's cover design did look pretty good, so I could see why it was chose. It was kind of sweet how Adrien wanted to get Marinette to sign the CD for him. That's why I'd rather see more moments between them and actually building up to a relationship instead of this love and secret drama nonsense. Actually giving the audience some substance instead of just giving them constant teases that go nowhere fast. Overall, it was an okay episode.

Tommy Lawson

Staff member
May 23, 2002
Las Vegas, NV
"Kung Food" was today's episode, and it starts off with a curious "Now we know how they feel" moment for me. That's because it opens with Marinette trying to use an app to translate between "English" and Chinese. However, if you take a look at her phone, a picture of France's flag appears, along with that of China's, clearly implying French-to-Chinese, not English-to-Chinese. In most of the animated shows produced for U.S. audiences over the years, I have wondered how characters that ask to be spoken to "in English" get treated in other languages, and this feels like that in reverse.

Anyway, Chloe's bratty behavior gets "amped up to 11" in this episode. She already hates having to judge soup, refuses to tell the difference between Japanese and Chinese, and then sabotages Cheng Shifu's soup, allowing him to easily akumatized into Kung Food. The twist this time is that the battles take place entirely within the Le Grand Paris hotel, so we see spell-influenced soup eaters like Jagged Stone and Alec, the game show host, try to take on Ladybug and Cat Noir. It is a more amusing way of taking a basic "food fight" episode premise and trying a different spin on it. I was hoping Plagg would show up to eat some of that cheese that was being thrown around. This episode was more memorable for Chloe being a super brat than for its villain IMO, and it was no surprise Ladybug literally dropped her after rescuing her from becoming soup.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
I thought that this episode was pretty good for the most part. It was kind of strange that Marinette was all by herself when her great uncle came to visit. One would think that her parents or at least her mother would be there too. I did like how it allowed for Marinette and Adrien to interact so he could translate. If nothing else, this episode continued my desire to see more interactions between Marinette and Adrien outside of their superhero identities. Actually seeing Adrien help Marinette, reassure her that her uncle did like her and supported her throughout the episode was way better than Marinette constantly struggling to talk to Adrien. It actually helps to give their relationship more substance and make them actually feel like friends, as opposed to just Marinette crushing on Adrien from afar, especially when Marinette seemed more comfortable with Adrien as the episode progressed. I know there are plenty of people who do like their relationship even with all of the constant teases, but for me to be invested in something like a romantic pairing, I need something more than just teases. Showing something about their relationships or their interactions would be good. It's something more than just constant "will they/won't they" love drama. More substance like this please.

Unfortunately, Chloe continued to be the absolute worst thing about this show, which probably says a lot when this show isn't really that good even without factoring her in. Marinette blamed herself for getting riling up Chloe afterwards, but that wasn't her fault. It made sense with her character, but it was still Chloe's fault for being a spoiled little brat who can't accept that people like different things than she does. And her refusal to acknowledge the differences between Chinese and Japanese adds a layer of racism to her on top of it, or at least that's the impression I got when she told Marinette's uncle that she doesn't speak Japanese. Wonderful. Let's just show Chloe kicking some puppies or driving orphans out of their home to make room for a new mall development or something like that. She's already more evil than the main villain of this show and doing all of that would be within her character at this point.

I really wanted Kung Food to drop Chloe in the soup so badly and was immensely disappointed when it didn't happen. Honestly, killing Chloe off would help Paris in the long run. That sounds horrible, but she's been responsible for multiple villains at this point and there is literally no reason why I should care about her safety in the slightest. She has no regret for her actions and is a horrible person, so why should I want to see Ladybug and Cat Noir risk their lives to save her own? It is kind of amazing when the stereotypical high school rich brat character is a bigger threat than the main villain. I can't really take Hawk Moth seriously with his Dr. Claw-like speeches. The only time he felt like a threat was oddly enough the two part origin story and that was mainly because of how the monster threat lasted for more than one episode than anything he did. One of my hopes for season two is that they get rid of Chloe somehow. I do not want them to try to redeem her because she is well past the point of no return in that regard. The show would still have problems without Chloe, but at least they'd get rid of arguably one of the biggest ones if she was cut out of the equation. Nothing of value would be lost as far as I'm concerned.

I liked how they handled the whole food fight concept. It was kind of silly with all of the weapons being made out of food, but there was some creativity with the weapons and I liked the team work Ladybug and Cat Noir showed throughout the fights, especially when they locked up Jagged Stone. It did show how well they worked together after all of their experiences. Of course, even after being saved by Ladybug, Chloe was still a brat, although it was a bit satisfying to see Ladybug just drop her. The Lucky Charm was a bit more unique than the last couple of ones have been and it was nice to see Ladybug help her uncle afterwards.

After everything she did, Chloe should have suffered more than just being kicked off the judge table, but at least she got some payback for her awful behavior. It was nice to see that Marinette's uncle did win and he named his soup after her, which was a cute touch. Overall, the episode was pretty good in spite of Chloe's awful existence in this show. The main draw was actually providing some substance to Mariantte and Adrien's relationship and showing that they do have some nice chemistry in both of their identities. This show desperately needs more of that so that their relationship could be interesting, mix up the status quo and actually make their relationship worth being invested in.

kanc

Sep 9, 2013
Miraculous Ladybug is staying at 8:30AM as Kuu Kuu Harajuku will air at 9AM on Sat Oct 8. After Oct 29 Miraculous has aired all 26 episodes, with exception of The Mime, but that aired in Nicktoons. Unknown if the episode will air in Nickelodeon in November..

Tommy Lawson

Staff member
May 23, 2002
Las Vegas, NV
Chloe and Sabrina mostly take a break from the newest episode, Gamer. Instead, the twist this time, is that Marinette's own character flaws are what lead to a character being akumatized. Marinette, in her obsession to constantly be by Adrien's side, beats out Max in a video game competition to represent their high school at a big Paris video game competition, despite knowing full well Max had been training for an entire year to represent their school. An obviously ersatz version of Street Fighter using robot characters is used for the video game (even going as far as to have an extremely wordy title screen complete with "Arcade Edition"), with robot characters replacing Ryu and the others. It was not-so-fun to hear the imitations of "Hadoken!" in the giant robot battle scene, but the rest of it was entertaining, and it was great to see that the Miraculous Ladybug herself can get people akumatized with her actions as Marinette.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
I thought that this episode was okay. Marinette wanting to enter a video game competition just to be with Adrien was almost cringe worthy. Just when I was liking how the previous episode broke the status quo a bit, now we're back to Marinette's crush on Adrien being more of an obsession again. And it seemed kind of stupid to go for a tournament just to be with Adrien anyway. It's not like it was the only way she could spend time with Adrien. There have been times where her crush on Adrien feels endearing and genuine, but when it goes into obsession or stalker territory, then it gets annoying. Even with Adrien being a model, having that many pictures of him is a tad creepy.

Despite feeling like they were going back to the status quo at first, they still had more interactions between Marinette and Adrien than usual. It was also kind of cute to see Marinette trying to offer some snacks and check on them, if only because we haven't seen much of her parents for awhile and it was cute that they could tell that she had a crush on Adrien. I almost thought that they were building up to Adrien thinking of how his father wouldn't care to check on him like that at first, which could have been a nice moment, but that didn't happen.

Gamer is a pretty generic name for a villain, but it isn't the first time that has happened here. Using the city as his own personal arcade was kind of neat. I liked the robot fight near the end. That was one of the more creative and unique fights in the show. Plus, Marinette's robot was a cat with ladybug armor, which I thought was cute. I actually liked the Hadoken imitations. I thought that they were funny and throwing in some video game references was kind of neat. The way Marinette got Gamer's glasses was pretty anticlimactic though. It seemed way too easy.

It was nice that Marinette recognized that she shouldn't have taken Max's spot. Considering that she only wanted to be with Adrien, it didn't make much sense to take his spot in the tournament. Having her take Adrien's spot was better, if only because he felt like she was a much better player than him after practicing with her for awhile. I guess they won at the end based on the final image. Overall, it was an okay episode.

Tommy Lawson

Staff member
May 23, 2002
Las Vegas, NV
This was just announced on PR Newswire: Miraculous Ladybug now has an official Youtube channel, and I have to ask: what took them so long? It should be among the very first things created for a new cartoon nowadays. Additionally, this Youtube channel will soon have 3D and 2D webisodes. It remains to be seen if the 2D webisodes will be in the style of the original 2012 trailer. It says there will be 52 webisodes.

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here are the most notable South Asian voices.
The 2015 Fantastic Four film was released 5 years ago today.
Kitschensyngk wrote on Harley's profile.
Who do I contact over at Popgeeks about server problems? I've having difficulties accessing the server to update my website.
Chowder grew up 10 years ago today August 7, 2010 and would pave the way for C.H. Greenblatt to grow as an animator. He had it rough in the 2010’s but he would create Harvey Beaks and Jellystone.
Both "Phineas And Ferb: Star Wars" and "Scooby Doo And Batman: The Brave And The Bold" tie with 2 votes each. I'll be tiebreaker. It was really hard, but I pick "Phineas And Ferb: Star Wars". Now the final matchup is between "Phineas And Ferb: Star Wars" and "Quack Pack".