Miller and Lord developing Marvel animated series for Sony

RoryWilliams

No one is commenting but the value of the pact is believed to be in the nine figures. Under the agreement, the duo will develop live-action comedy and drama series as well as animated shows through their Lord Miller Productions company, including a suite of TV series based on Sony’s Universe of Marvel characters, referred to as Spider-verse, which had been a priority for SPT.

The latter is said to have been a major selling point that helped bring Lord and Miller to Sony TV in a very competitive situation with multiple independent studios and a streaming platform pursuing them. The pair is coming off winning an Oscar for Sony’s Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse. The Sony TV deal allows the pair to develop their own projects for network, cable and streaming platforms, as well as develop and supervise other writers’ projects.

Seeing them tackle the Spider-Verse characters again would be amazing. Especially if they get back more of the team that worked on the film.

Frontier

Staff member
I guess my biggest questions for this are:

1. Do they have approval from Marvel Entertainment to do this? I think Sony can only make their own animated or television works so long as they go past an hour.

2. Will this tie-in to Into the Spider-Verse?

3. Will this lead to characters being off-limit to the MCU?

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
This was rumored before (around the time the Spider-Verse sequels and spin-offs were announced), so it's kind of nice seeing them advancing with this idea.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
It would be kind of interesting if they use these to do series based around Spider-Characters or Spider-Heroes from Into the Spider-Verse that they don't have time to spotlight in the sequel...like Jake Johnson's Peter in his own series or Miles' solo adventures :cool:.

RoryWilliams

I guess my biggest questions for this are:

1. Do they have approval from Marvel Entertainment to do this? I think Sony can only make their own animated or television works so long as they go past an hour.

2. Will this tie-in to Into the Spider-Verse?

3. Will this lead to characters being off-limit to the MCU?

Is it possible Disney gave them some slack with this since their own crop of Marvel cartoons are winding down? Have we had any definitive statements about the future of the Marvel Animation division?

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I imagine that they'd need Marvel's go ahead to make tv shows, unless some rights were renegotiated like they were 9 years ago. I wonder if none Sony characters would be off limits or if Marvel might tr more of their own Spider shows while Sony did this.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Maybe its where Sony can make Spiderman cartoons only if:

1. It lasts at least an hour with commercials

2. It only uses Sony versions of the characters

Frontier

Staff member
Is it possible Disney gave them some slack with this since their own crop of Marvel cartoons are winding down? Have we had any definitive statements about the future of the Marvel Animation division?
Cort Lane said there are new series (potentially related to the X-Men and FF) that we'll hear about over the Summer but that's about it (on-top of what we already know about, like What If/Hulu/Moon Girl).
I imagine that they'd need Marvel's go ahead to make tv shows, unless some rights were renegotiated like they were 9 years ago. I wonder if none Sony characters would be off limits or if Marvel might tr more of their own Spider shows while Sony did this.
A part of me feels like Marvel's going to try and reboot Spider-Man in animation again, although somehow I feel like Sony might get to whatever they're going to do before Marvel does anything after Marvel's Spider-Man ends.
Maybe its where Sony can make Spiderman cartoons only if:

1. It lasts at least an hour with commercials

2. It only uses Sony versions of the characters
I think that is the only specifications for how Sony are legally allowed to do anything with Spider-Man on television.

RoryWilliams

Thanks. Those shows aren't being animated in-house, are they? I thought I'd heard Titmouse was handling Moon Girl.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
An hour long animated animated series would be pretty interesting. I'm not sure its been done in America outside of stuff like The All-New Superfriends Hour, which were usually broken into segments.

I knew Sony was looking into making some Spider-Man TV but this Lord/Miller deal makes it seem like they're more serious than I thought.

Joe Wagner

The one, true Scarlet Spider!
Given the success and quality of Sony's animated Spidey tales, I have to admit that I'm excited by the potential. Since none of know the specifics of the deal Sony made with Disney, I would not be surprised if Sony maintains the rights to produce their own animated series content while Disney does there own Spidey series for Disney+. Perhaps the Sony take would be a DTV styled series of animated movies or Friday night extended specials used to promote the next wave of Into the Spider-Verse movies?

Freddy

I think Marvel is allowing this, since they can't afford to make Sony mad and possibly lose Spider-Man in the movies.

Frontier

Staff member
Given the success and quality of Sony's animated Spidey tales, I have to admit that I'm excited by the potential. Since none of know the specifics of the deal Sony made with Disney, I would not be surprised if Sony maintains the rights to produce their own animated series content while Disney does there own Spidey series for Disney+. Perhaps the Sony take would be a DTV styled series of animated movies or Friday night extended specials used to promote the next wave of Into the Spider-Verse movies?
It's actually kind of interesting to think there might be some kind of "competition" for the next Spider-Man cartoon after Marvel's Spider-Man ends.

Man, what a world we'd live in if Sony announced a Spectacular revival series :p.

Freddy

I thought Sony relinquished the rights to making Spidey shows, so how would they be able to make a new one now?

Like I said, Marvel probably has to play ball with Sony or they could take Spider-Man away from MCU.

Frontier

Staff member
I thought Sony relinquished the rights to making Spidey shows, so how would they be able to make a new one now?
I think Marvel has 90% of the animation rights for Spider-Man but Sony retained some of it to be able to do something like Into the Spider-Verse or something that's longer then your average TV show.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Maybe there are a bunch of Spiderman not yet adapted to animation they want to work with.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts