MGM Cartoons version differences discussion

NewBogus :)

You're fired!
It seems that the Tex Avery MGM shorts (on Screwball Classics, Vol. 2) were also affected of badly-photoshopped titles like LT restorations on HMAX.

Screen-Shot-2020-12-15-at-6-07-05-PM.png

And of course problems with DVNR.
Screen-Shot-2020-12-15-at-7-02-10-PM_1.png

Cool_Cat

The DNR shorts come from a different batch than those with the Photoshopped titles, even though they were still outsourced.

In this case they just applied the auto fix, a color LUT and called it a day. It seems to me there's no manual work at all.

TheCartoonyMan295

Oh here we go again with the de-grained footage and photoshopped titles. I sure hope 2/3 of this volume isn't remastered from Turner copies (U-Matic tapes, laserdisc, TV prints), as I have not received my copy yet. I felt like this was going to happen.

Here are some opening cards of Tom and Jerry cartoons prints from the 60s CBS package series. They are dubbed in Brasil, but some of them have the original harp musical notes intact.

I give up! I give up! My recreation of The Two Mousketeers title here is rubbish!

I have a feeling the font used in the original red bg title cards and the Shag font both look similar (or same).

Last edited:

Daffyrocks

Back from the dead.... or...?
MeTV, recently, leaked some new WB restorations of classic theatrical shorts yet to be released anywhere else, one of them being the MGM cartoon "Señor Droopy" (1949)!

(unfortunately they had to make a minor censor during the Wolf's smoking)

It looks the short either was intended for Tex Avery Screwball Classics Volume 2, or it was made for Volume 3 whenever that will be out.

It seems that MeTV will be our new temporary source of new cartoon shorts restorations until HBO Max puts more cartoons to its streaming servies or Warner Archive will release more Tex Avery Blu-rays!

As for Screwball Classics Volume 2, I said it before and I'll say it here too: the great colors of the restorations make up for all the Photoshop or DVNR problems the shorts have. Simple as fish.

Mesterius

MeTV, recently, leaked some new WB restorations of classic theatrical shorts yet to be released anywhere else, one of them being the MGM cartoon "Señor Droopy" (1949)!

(unfortunately they had to make a minor censor during the Wolf's smoking)

It looks the short either was intended for Tex Avery Screwball Classics Volume 2, or it was made for Volume 3 whenever that will be out.

It seems that MeTV will be our new temporary source of new cartoon shorts restorations until HBO Max puts more cartoons to its streaming servies or Warner Archive will release more Tex Avery Blu-rays!

As for Screwball Classics Volume 2, I said it before and I'll say it here too: the great colors of the restorations make up for all the Photoshop or DVNR problems the shorts have. Simple as fish.

Uh... you know... the colors of that "Señor Droopy" restoration really look terrible. Same with many of the restorations on Avery Volume 2 (though not all of them).

TURBOKAN™

Is anyone have original Academy Format of these Tom and Jerry episodes?
(I think he ripped them from Tom and Jerry Bumper Collection vol 5)

Pet Peeve:

Touché, Pussy Cat!:

Southbound Duckling:

LooneyTuney18

Does anyone have any idea where the music cues used in alternate m/e tracks for older MGM shorts from the 30s-early 40s (ex: The Milky Way, Red Hot Riding Hood, most Happy Harmonies shorts...) come from? I haven't watched a lot of MGM shorts outside T&J and Tex Avery so I wonder if they simply reused cues from other shorts.

Cool_Cat

They're mostly stock music, but I have no idea which tracks they used. @LooneyTuney18

Something similar was done with the Sunset package Looney Tunes, and in that case I found the tracks through Content ID.

LooneyTuney18

They're mostly stock music, but I have no idea which tracks they used. @LooneyTuney18

Something similar was done with the Sunset package Looney Tunes, and in that case I found the tracks through Content ID.
Ah thanks, I was also guessing it could be stock music but wasn't sure. That also reminded me of the Sunset package LT cartoons x)

I'm sorry, but this isn't really the place to ask people to share copyrighted material to you, unfortunately.
Anyway, the academy format for those shorts is available on volume 2 of The Art of Tom and Jerry.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts