MGM Cartoons version differences discussion

Cool_Cat

Do you mean the print with the 60s lion? That was the one aired on TV before the Turner remasters. It was the only one from the old package to have that problem besides the first two Cartoon Festival prints.

I think the colors looking like that were a result of a conversion from the original Technicolor to MGM’s Eastmancolor version in the 60s. All the shorts with the lion card altered on the old Italian airings look like that.

Yeah, it's definitely the one with Leo the Lion on. Too bad I didn't get a chance to see it on television. Huge shout-out to the person who uploaded the Tom and Jerry Vol8 VHS on archive.org

Speaking of that vhs, there's that one print of The Egg and Jerry that actually has pan and scan as well, which I also have never seen on TV as well.

Cool_Cat

That version of The Egg and Jerry comes from the "Cat & Dupli Cat" tape.

By the way on Boomerang Italy only on the pop up channel some shorts had the French track by accident, that doesn't happen in the main channel but the copy they used is the same. Proof multitrack versions exist :p

Daffyrocks

Back from the dead.... or...?
I remember seeing another Turner print NTSC tape that actually started with Flirty Birdy, including some Chuck Jones shorts, and missing The Egg and Jerry, Busy Buddies, Tops with Pops, Feedin' the Kiddie, Tom's Photo Finish and other Chuck Jones' shorts that I don't really remembered. I used to get the disc covering the Turner Prints in that particular order, but it's divided in multiple parts. What I remembered so far was ordered below:

Fraidy Cat
Baby Butch
Johann Mouse
Pet Peeve
The Mouse in H. U. N. G. E. R.
The Dog House
Baby Butch
The Zoot Cat
Puss Gets the Boot
Midnight Snack
Dog Trouble
Puss 'n Toots
The Bowling-Alley Cat
Is There a Doctor in the Mouse?
Yankee Doodle Mouse

And a different order I also remembered

Muscle Beach Tom
Blue Cat Blues
Barbecue Brawl
Purr-Chance to Dream
Timid Tabby
Happy Go Ducky
Royal Cat Nap
The Vanishing Duck
Matinee Mouse
Robin Hoodwinked
Tots Watcher
The Flying Sorceress

Any idea for the name of the disc I was talking about? Thanks in advance
Here is the order of every disc :) Tom & Jerry [Japanese DVD review request] - DVD Talk Forum

The only shorts missing from this set were all the Gene Deitch cartoons, the three Cinemascope remakes of the 40s shorts, "Bussy Buddies", "Slicked Up Pup", "Tom's Photo Finish" and the Chuck Jones cartoon "Shutter Bugged Cat".

I remember these orders well, as I used to own CD rips of them which my mom made for me when I was little. I didn't know the sources of these compilations at all, until now, as the order of every short matches exactly the one from the CDs that I owned. Wow, the memories.... I don't even know if I still have these CDs now :p I used to play them a lot on my old PC, to the point that I was watching them evryday :D (that was some months before I got Internet for the first time, in the fall of 2007). However, these rips didn't have the Droopy shorts at the end at all (I also only found about this now :D , lol)

There was also at least one international rerelease of this set, as I once bought two Tom and Jerry DVDs from a local store, with the entire cover and all in English, which were the volumes 6 and 7 compilations (for some reason, the Volume 7 DVD ran off at the beginning of the short "The Duck Doctor"). Like the CD rips, the Droopy shorts were also absent from these international releases, and I guess these exact DVDs were the source of those CDs my mom ripped for me (presumably because the Droopy shorts were only available in Japanese, and they directly took the video from the original Japanese DVD).

The prints they used were all NTSC Turner prints from USA, with all the edits done especially for these prints.

When I have time, I may try to recreate these Japanese DVD compilations and send it to you, @Charly9631 .

Earlier the same shorts came out on Laserdisc and VHS.
I once used to own an old VHS tape which my grandparents ripped for me, and it contained Chip n Dale cartoons, Bugs Bunny cartoons (ripped from an UK rerelease of a Bugs Bunny Golden Jubilee set) and Tom and Jerry shorts. There were seven T&J cartoons, from "The Bodyguard" to "The Cat and The Mermouse" (the tape ran off at the last minutes of the short, before the end title card). They were in the exact same order as in the Japanese Volume 2 DVD release, and I was shocked myself to see the order when I watched the CDs from my mother the first time. However, on this VHS tape the cartoons were not Turner prints, and clearly looked like 80s/90s masters. I guess this Laserdisc/VHS set you're talking about was the source! (BTW, for some reason, part of a wedding video was also taped over at the very beginning, before the Chip n Dales :p )

Last edited:

Daffyrocks

Sorry for double posting, but ever since the Boomerang Streaming Service released one-shot MGM cartoons two months ago, we now get to see some rare Turner prints of some shorts.

You can find some more on this channel.

I really hope someone will record the full cartoons from here and upload them somewhere online, without that Bandicam watermark unlike here... (I won't even mind if they are private links from MEGA or Google Drive)

Cool_Cat

After years I realized the UK VHS tapes misses 4 shorts each, except the early ones which had 8 in the rest of the world. For an example The Truce Hurts was meant to be in the Quiet Please tape just like I always thought. Who wants to see the full list? :p

Daffyrocks

After years I realized the UK VHS tapes misses 4 shorts each, except the early ones which had 8 in the rest of the world. For an example The Truce Hurts was meant to be in the Quiet Please tape just like I always thought. Who wants to see the full list? :p
Me! :)

Cool_Cat

The Flying Cat
The Bodyguard
The Little Orphan
Jerry's Cousin
Dr Jekyll and Mr Mouse
Mice Follies
The Cat and the Mermouse
The Cat Concerto

Mouse Trouble
Jerry and the Lion
Mouse in Manhattan
The Milky Waif
Cat Napping
Saturday Evening Puss
Hic Cup Pup
The Invisible Mouse

The Million Dollar Cat
The Night Before Christmas
Polka Dot Puss
Two Little Indians
The Hollywood Bowl
Trap Happy
Cue Ball Cat
Little Runaway

Fraidy Cat
Baby Butch
Johann Mouse
Pet Peeve
The Mouse From Hunger
The Dog House
Baby Puss
The Zoot Cat

The Bowling Alley Cat
Pecos Pest
The Duck Doctor
Robin Hoodwinked
Hatch Up Your Troubles
Heavenly Puss
Yankee Doodle Mouse
Tee For Two

Bad Day at Cat Rock
Muscle Beach Tom
Nit Witty Kitty
Puttin on the Dog
Springtime for Thomas
The Two Mouseketeers
Puppy Tale
Puss Gets the Boot

Quiet Please
Old Rockin Chair Tom
Salt Water Tabby
Jerry and Jumbo
The Midnight Snack
The Mouse Comes to Dinner
Mouse Cleaning
Solid Serenade
The Truce Hurts
That’s My Pup
Designs on Jerry
Busy Buddies (never seen this one...)

Tom and Cherie
Smitten Kitten
Snowbody Loves Me
Love That Pup
Love Me Love My Mouse
I’m Just Wild About Jerry
Part Time Pal
Pup on a Picnic
Guided Mouse Ille
Haunted Mouse
Sorry Safari
Pent House Mouse

Matinee Mouse
Switchin Kitten
Happy Go Ducky
Dicky Moe
(Comedy Show cartoons)

Puss N Toots
The Tom and Jerry Cartoon Kit
Tot Watchers
Touchè Pussy Cat
The Year of the Mouse
Two Little Indians
The Unshrinkable Jerry Mouse
Advance and Be Mechanized
Surf Bored Cat
Mucho Mouse
Neapolitan Mouse
Officer Pooch

Ah Sweet Mouse Story of Life
Barbecue Brawl
Blue Cat Blues
The Atominable Snowman
The Brothers Carry Mouse Off
Buddies Thicker Than Water
Calypso Cat
Cannery Rodent
Casanova Cat
Carmen Get It
The Cat Above and the Mouse Below
Fine Feathered Friend
Cat Fishin

Little School Mouse
Cruise Cat
Down and Outing
Filet Meow
Posse Cat
Safety Second
O Solar Meow
Purr Chance to Dream
Downhearted Duckling
Flirty Birdy
Slicked Up Pup
Puss N Boats

Professor Tom
Sleepy Time Tom
Tom’s Photo Finish
Tom-ic Energy
The Framed Cat
Smarty Cat
Royal Cat Nap
Timid Tabby
Duel Personality
Fit to Be Tied
The Flying Sorceress
High Steaks

Cat and Dupli Cat
Life with Tom
The Lonesome Mouse
Feedin the Kiddie
Catty Cornered
Little Quacker
The Egg and Jerry
Of Feline Bondage
Triplet Trouble
Down Beat Bear
Sufferin Cats
Puttin On the Dog (never seen it)

The Missing Mouse
Is There a Doctor in the Mouse
It’s Greek to Meow
Jerry Jerry Quite Contrary
Southbound Duckling
Rock N Rodent
Jerry and the Goldfish
The Vanishing Duck
Push Button Kitty
Shutter Bugged Cat
Much Ado About Mousing

Blackboard Jumble
Billy Boy
Caballero Droopy
Droopy Leprechaun
Field and Scream
The First Bad Man
The Flea Circus
Grin and Share It
Mutts About Racing
One Droopy Knight
Senor Droopy
Sheep Wrecked
Wild and Woolfy

Little Gravel Voice
Bats in the Belfry
Little Buck Cheeser
Little Bantamweigh
One Mother's Family
The Mad Maestro
Home on the Range
Swing Social
Tom Turkey and His Harmonica Humdingers
The Bookworm Turns

Dumb Hounded
Wags to Riches
The Shooting of Dan McGoo
Droopy's Good Deed
Drag-A-Long Droopy
The Chump Champ
Deputy Droopy

Out Foxed
Daredevil Droopy
Northwest Hounded Police
Homesteader Droopy
Droopy's Double Trouble
Dixieland Droopy
The Three Little Pups

Wild and Woolfy
The Pups Christmas
Dance of the Weed
The Screwy Truant
Magical Maestro
Lucky Ducky
The Flying Bear

The Unwelcome Guest
The Captain's Christmas
Screwball Squirrel
The Lonesome Stranger
The Blue Danube
Little Rural Riding Hood
King Size Canary

Bah Wilderness
Petunia Natural Park
The Tree Surgeon
The Pups Picnic
The Field Mouse
Slap Happy Lion
The Little Goldfish

The Bear That Couldn't Sleep
The Bear and the Bean
The Bear and the Hare
A Rainy Day
The Bear and the Beavers
The Fishing Bear
The Uninvited Pest

Barney's Hungry Cousin
Busybody Bear
War Dogs (uncut)
The Stork's Holiday
Bird Brain Bird Dog
Polar Pest
Barney Bear's Victory Garden
Cobs and Robbers

What Price Fleadom
Half Pint Pygmy
The Cat that Hated People
Bad Luck Blackie
The House of Tomorrow
The Counterfeit Cat
The Cuckoo Clock
Garden Gopher
The Little Wise Quacker
The Impossible Possum
Innertube Antics
The Unwelcome Guest

Little Cesario
Barnyard Babies
The Boy and the Wolf
The Calico Dragon
Little Tinker
Happy Go Nutty
The Homeless Flea

Cock-a Doodle Dog
Symphony in Slang
Car of Tomorrow
Rock-a-Bye Bear
The Farm of Tomorrow
Cats Meow
Give & Tyke
Scat Cats

Rookie Bear
The Bookworm
Gallopin Gals
Mrs Ladybug
Abdul the Bulbul Ameer
The Goose Goes South
The Little Mole
The Alley Cat
The Field Mouse (alternate)
(includes more I need to find out)

Mouse into Space was released in the full version of the Sniffles tape

Last edited:

Daffyrocks

Nice analysis and research, @Cool_Cat....

But, I have to make some observations

1) Why is "Wild and Woofly" there twice?
2) I like the fact that "Half-Pint Pigmy" is included there :)))) Too bad "Uncle Tom's Cabana" is not... I guess the former wasn't considered that offensive, as that pigmy was just a representation of a cannibal, which is accepted in our history. Unlike those big-mouthed African normal humans.... (just kidding)
3) So "War Dogs" was only censored by CN and Boomerang, and not by Turner themselves?
4) "Matinee Mouse", "Switchin Kitten", "Happy Go Ducky" and "Dicky Moe" aren't Comedy Show episodes. Unless you probably mean that Comedy Show cartoons were put on that tape as well, right after those Gene Deitch cartoons... Cause if that's so, then it's strange.... Turner made their own individual remasters of the full Tom and Jerry Comedy Show episodes, all with the Turner "Globe" logo at the end
5) Why would "Mouse into Space", a MGM cartoon, be included in a tape of Warner Bros shorts???

Cool_Cat

There was another tape with Comedy Show episodes, other than that one with 4 theatrical shorts.

As for Wild and Woolfy, just like with Two Little Indians and Puttin On the Dog there are two different prints of it. The one in the MGM cartoon festival looks pretty bad (similar to the other ones in the same tape).

That print of War Dogs is uncut, I have the UK tape. The censorship happened in the Turner remaster.

Cool_Cat

And here's one big rarity. CN Japan still airs Half Pint Pygmy to this day. Too bad that print has the worst DVNR I've ever seen :p

vlcsnap-2019-10-16-04h25m25s247.png

Here is the order of every disc :) Tom & Jerry [Japanese DVD review request] - DVD Talk Forum

The only shorts missing from this set were all the Gene Deitch cartoons, the three Cinemascope remakes of the 40s shorts, "Bussy Buddies", "Slicked Up Pup", "Tom's Photo Finish" and the Chuck Jones cartoon "Shutter Bugged Cat".

Thanks!
I believe I had set #4 of the Japanese DVD release back then. My father actually knew how to make a VHS tape out of the disk. It was avery long tape, which contains the Dolby intro (water), Set #4 of the Japanese DVD set (but without the Cue Ball Cat short, then 8 episodes that have the MGM logo replaced with the Buddha Video logo instead (Mouse Cleaning, Polka-dot Puss, Hatch-up Your Troubles, The Little Orphan, Heavenly Puss, The Cat and the Mermouse, Love That Pup, Jerry's Diary) with the original Mama Two Shoes voice; followed by Tom and Jerry the Movie, and then another 3 episodes with the Buddha Video logo intro (Cue Ball Cat, Casanova Cat, Jerry and the Gold Fish), then the CinemaScope Shorts from Royal Cat Nap to Tots Watcher (quality from The Art of Tom and Jerry, but the MGM Logo & information at the end are edited out) + 2 Spike and Tyke cartoon, same thing + the first 7 Chuck Jones shorts, same thing.
I also spent my time re-creating the first 7 Chuck Jones short with the MGM Logo and the End information edited out. I hope I can send you those. @Daffyrocks

Cool_Cat

I ended up having some old CN UK recordings from 1997. Back then they used already the Turner remasters, but it looked like a completely different package.

In fact I noticed differences in a lot of shorts. I already talked about A Mouse in the House and Part Time Pal being different (in this case redubbed Mammy and uncut), but I found more. Of Feline Bondage and Royal Cat Nap are completely different, while The Yankee Doodle Mouse has a couple scenes (which come from a different telecine) looking different. Pecos Pest and Hic Cup Pup also have different audio tracks.

For now I don’t have more alternates but I can easily expect which ones would be.

NewBogus :)

You're fired!
Meanwhile, I've ended with a T&J video release (with Polish lector distributed by Cass Film around 1990's - the tape would be used for my Polish HQ Tom and Jerry project). This tape included "Life with Tom" uncut and unrestored (probably the pre-1990 Turner tape, but who knows). However, the MGM Lion logos + A MGM Cartoon endings were cut.

Other shorts that I've found on this tape are: "Quiet, Please!", "Baby Butch", "The Fraidy Cat" (probably with the pre-redubbed version), "Salt Water Tabby" and "Cat and Dupli-Cat".

FYI, "The Cat Concerto", 1946 on Tom and Jerry: Greatest Chases VHS in Poland has crowd's applause dubbed, while C+ dubbing or another VHS dub released in "Tom and Jerry: Quiet, Please!" (in Polish "Tom i Jerry: W rolach głównych") has applause undubbed.

Another Cass Film lectored tape with T&J has "Saturday Evening Puss", 1950 with 1960's version (with "rewhitened" Mammy Two Shoes), but with original 1948 soundtrack left intact. :D

Last edited:

You're fired!
After checking audios from VHS releases of Tom and Jerry shorts with Polish dubbing, I can tell that "Puppy Tale" still affects of the original audiotrack in the 90's print put into m/e track (Tom is still yelling "help" in English), "The Little Orphan" and "A Mouse in the House" are still censored.

And Jerry's line in VHS redubbing of "Saturday Evening Puss", 1950 is undubbed (left in English).

EDIT: Tom's final line in "It's Greek to Me-Ow" redub for "The Missing Mouse" VHS Polish release is dubbed, while Tom's line when he's analyzing the movie in "Is there a Doctor in the Mouse?" was undubbed.

And, oh, irony! "The Greatest Chases" (in which Tom was voiced by Jarosław Boberek) VHS announcement release on "The Cat's Me Ouch" VHS release was announced by Zbigniew Suszyński (Tom's voice from Canal+ dubbing).

And Tom's lines in the "Duel Personality"'s VHS redubbing were dubbed.

EDIT: "Flirty Birdy" on "The Cat's Me Ouch" VHS release has eagle's lines dubbed. :)

"Touche Pussy-Cat" for some reason on Galapagos Films lectored DVD release of T&J shorts ("Once Upon a Tomcat") has m/e track played on Right Mono Polish audioTrack. As far as I've heard, also "Tom and Cherie" had been affected of this problem on another DVD release with Polish audio (according to an Polish user).

Last edited:
Does anyone happen to know where this print came from? I found a CinemaScope print of Blackboard Jumble that kept the wide-screen, and it still had the cue mark at the end of the short.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200213-130815_copy_320x240.png
    Screenshot_20200213-130815_copy_320x240.png
    70.6 KB · Views: 813
  • Screenshot_20200213-130913_copy_320x240.png
    Screenshot_20200213-130913_copy_320x240.png
    61 KB · Views: 503
  • Screenshot_20200213-130953_copy_320x240.png
    Screenshot_20200213-130953_copy_320x240.png
    51.9 KB · Views: 690
  • Screenshot_20200213-131009_copy_320x240.png
    Screenshot_20200213-131009_copy_320x240.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 2,487

You're fired!
TV2020021718443900.jpg

I can tell that March 2000 airings of this one on CN PL were uncut and uncensored.
What is more, for the first time CN PL aired only the 147 shorts dubbed by Canal+. The dub for 11 more shorts was done later.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/

Featured Posts