MeTV Launching Toon in with Me

SpaceCowboy

So, The Cartoon Kick-Off Show is on right now. Awesome. But, one really odd thing that struck me is the TV-PG rating. Why?... The Looney Tunes shorts were TV-G on Boomerang and Cartoon Network. Perhaps it's due to the violence and guns, but unless the edgier content was cut on CN and Boomerang, I see no reason for a PG label.
It's probably just a cover. Unlike CN, MeTV broadcasts over-the-air in many markets which is subjected to stricter standards than cable channels.

Last edited:

ElectricAngel

Aw dang I completely forgot to set my recording :( Did they do anything special for their first morning show? I was hoping I wouldn't miss it ;-;

Looney Turtles

Aw dang I completely forgot to set my recording :( Did they do anything special for their first morning show? I was hoping I wouldn't miss it ;-;
This is why I have all episodes set to automatically record. I also try to watch them live as they air, which I did this morning. Then I take the DVR recordings, and record the episodes to DVD. I like to preserve these.

MeTV has handled the airing of these cartoons very well so far. Unlike Boomerang, where the airings of the classic shorts have been on auto-pilot for the past several years now.

Last edited:

homeofthebadguys

This is why I have all episodes set to automatically record. I also try to watch them live as they air, which I did this morning. Then I take the DVR recordings, and record the episodes to DVD. I like to preserve these.

MeTV has handled the airing of these cartoons very well so far. Unlike Boomerang, where the airings of the classic shorts have been on auto-pilot for the past several years now.
>perserve
Imagine the wall of DVDs that this might make... Being honest, a USB hard disk might be better.

>MeTV has handled the airing of these cartoons very well so far.
As I said, the only fault is that all of the cartoons seemed to be panned for 16:9 screens, given what I saw in the premiere special (I keep missing the actual block due to waking up late).

Game Freak 4

TV Tropes is Ruining My Life!
Going by the choice of cartoons and the live-action segments, each episode is going to be themed after... something.

Episode 1 is focused on eating. Episode 2 is focused on Bad Luck.

Game Freak 4

TV Tropes is Ruining My Life!
^What do the other episodes focus on?
I'm not sure about the 3rd, but the 4th is themed on cartoon making(I think) and the 5th is themes on... air flight?

I'm getting this through Direct TV.

Also of note, Episode 3 is the first time we don't get a Popeye Cartoon.

Last edited:

Dan's Revenge

List keeper
I have to say how very pleased I am with how back into the vault MeTV's been getting with some of these cartoons, notably some of the earliest Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies, like seeing a cartoon with Beans... that I'm 100% certain I'd never seen before until just recent. At some point, Nickelodeon may no longer be the last network I see a lot of them which still holds true.

I'll admit, Toon in with Me has a nice 90s feel to it, but, I've yet to (fully?) enjoy the segments between the cartoons with Bill, Toony and others, as they haven't clicked with me yet. Depending on commercials, you could usually do 6, maybe 7 cartoons in a 60 minute period, but with each morning's show having some sort of theme and wanting to do the segments, is why there's about only 5 - unless I'm miscounting. That goes to say that I do appreciate the effort going into the block. It's like Cartoon Planet and ToonHeads into one with the segments and theme for the show respectively. I'll keep trying, but, I'll still watch anyway of course for the toons.

I liked the first Saturday morning, and like how Tom & Jerry add other MGM cartoons in the mix. Strange first hour of it too, as all the T&J shorts shows were either that of Chuck Jones' or Gene Deitch's. Not one HB T&J short in that hour.

Makes sense for Popeye's hour which opens the block up, would include Betty Boop. I'd only seen 2-3 ever if that, so I'll be able to enjoy those as they show up.

Thanks to MeTV, for really digging in there with that far back into the vault with these cartoons, especially to get me watching them again, even T&J + LT. Late December was only the first time since early '18 I'd watched any LT at all - for a reason that's not about the abundance I've seen 'em.

Dr.Pepper

My dad was watching this block earlier today. I only saw the last bit of Tom & Jerry and the first bit of Bugs Bunny. I think it’s weird that they had a TV-PG rating. They were TV-G on Cartoon Network. I’m pretty sure similar cartoons were TV-Y on channels like ABC on Saturday morning.

AnimatedFan01

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet, but we technically get TWO Toon in with Me's, one on weekdays, another on Saturdays. The only difference is the Saturday one isn't hosted and is 3 hours long. I didn't even know they'd be two separate things when they started advertising them; I always thought Toon in with Me would only be on Saturdays.

On a side note, I'm surprised they've never mentioned on the segments anything about The Flintstones reruns having any impact on Toon in with Me's creation.

Sunnydee

I've been loving the show so far. It's pretty much exactly what I hoped it would be. Still working on fully appreciating the hosted segments like Dan's Revenge talked about above, but I appreciate all the effort going into this and I'm pretty confident those segments will keep getting better as the show continues.

It's more effort that's been put into presenting cartoons in a long time, for me (other than Toonami). I've been enjoying both weekdays and Saturdays. Especially the Bugs Bunny and Friends theme song on Saturdays. They didn't have to do that or make Toon in with me. They could have just presented these shorts on their own with little fanfare, but its touches like that that show the effort and care that they're putting in and maybe even their love of the medium.

One line that caught my interest in the Jerry Beck interview aegisrawks just linked to was this line:
JB: So, you just implied that MeTV is looking for more classic cartoon libraries to add to the line-up you have now. That was actually one of my questions, if MeTV is planning to acquire more cartoon shorts from other studios. So Neal is going for it?

BL: Yeah, he is hell bent, or I guess we should say heck bent, on acquiring as many properties as he can. The library now is incredibly impressive. I don’t know anybody on television that has a wider variety, but he’s just getting started. I don’t know if you collect things…

What other cartoons do you think they're looking to acquire?

ToonRo

I've been loving the show so far. It's pretty much exactly what I hoped it would be. Still working on fully appreciating the hosted segments like Dan's Revenge talked about above, but I appreciate all the effort going into this and I'm pretty confident those segments will keep getting better as the show continues.

It's more effort that's been put into presenting cartoons in a long time, for me (other than Toonami). I've been enjoying both weekdays and Saturdays. Especially the Bugs Bunny and Friends theme song on Saturdays. They didn't have to do that or make Toon in with me. They could have just presented these shorts on their own with little fanfare, but its touches like that that show the effort and care that they're putting in and maybe even their love of the medium.

One line that caught my interest in the Jerry Beck interview aegisrawks just linked to was this line:

What other cartoons do you think they're looking to acquire?
I'm thinking other H-B shows, like The Jetsons, and Scooby-Doo: Where are You?.
Probably a low chance, but I'm also thinking Tiny Toon Adventures and Animaniacs (90s original).

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
I’d love to see Terrytoons; Viacom’s doing nothing with ‘em.

HombreSinNombre

Forgive My Past
Terry Toons would be amazing but I don't know what elements are available. They'd be perfect for Pluto TV's Classic Toons channel as well.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts