MeTV Launching Toon in with Me

Low Spark of Lyman

I never studied law
Yesterday's episode had a music cue that I've heard on one of the MeTV ads for The Carol Burnett Show ("Take my temperature!" "Roll over..."). Unsurprising, but I thought I'd bring that up.

Today's episode was partly themed on the public domain...partly since it ended up getting derailed. Which may explain why there were only two cartoons that, from what I've noticed, are in the public domain ("Wackiki Wabbit" and "Ancient Fistory").

And tomorrow's episode...looks like it could be particularly interesting.

Lex The Bookworm

When is Toon in with Me planning to air Disney shorts that are in Public Domain? Woody Woodpecker Public Domain short Pantry Panic have already aired and i hope The Mad Doctor will air on Toon in with me since it's also in Public Domain.

Low Spark of Lyman

I never studied law
Toon in with Me still has the occasional Columbia cartoon played (including at least one instance of The Fox and The Crow). It hasn't been added to Saturday Morning Cartoons up to now; I'm guessing MeTV doesn't want to expand the block or cut into any more sub-blocks (like they did for Popeye after the Pink Panther was introduced). Also since there don't appear to be many in the MeTV roster in the first place (hence why they're occasional).

3/2 episode was about birthdays. Kind of surprised Mark Evanier wasn't among those mentioned, given his contributions to animation (EDIT: ...and comic books, which include cartoon stars like LT). Forgot about Dr. Seuss, who was an appropriate choice to focus on for a while. The only one I knew offhand was Lou Reed.

Also, on today's SMS:

- Popeye and Pink Panther's Party had a ratio of 4/3 instead of 3/4 (regarding Fleischer/Famous cartoons vs. DFE cartoons shown). Not sure if that's a onetime thing or a new direction.

- Most of the cartoons on The Tom and Jerry Show were romance themed. Seemed like it could have aired back on 2/12, two days before Valentine's Day. Oh well.

- Bugs Bunny and Friends included "Bushy Hare", one of the 12 Bugs cartoons Cartoon Network excluded from the 2001 edition of June Bugs (which was originally meant to have every Bugs Bunny cartoon). I know this isn't the first time that sort of thing has happened; I've seen "What's Cooking, Doc?" on MeTV (don't recall which block), for example. I don't even know if "Bushy Hare" has aired before because of all the personal gaps I have. Nevertheless, I thought that was worth noting.

Last edited:

parkersfan89

who remembers the acme hour on CN? the show / block had classic cartoon shorts from Warner Brothers, MGM, and Popeye? here's a link for the show / block's bumpers.

Dan's Revenge

List keeper
Toon in with Me still has the occasional Columbia cartoon played (including at least one instance of The Fox and The Crow). It hasn't been added to Saturday Morning Cartoons up to now; I'm guessing MeTV doesn't want to expand the block or cut into any more sub-blocks (like they did for Popeye after the Pink Panther was introduced). Also since there don't appear to be many in the MeTV roster in the first place (hence why they're occasional).

- Popeye and Pink Panther's Party had a ratio of 4/3 instead of 3/4 (regarding Fleischer/Famous cartoons vs. DFE cartoons shown). Not sure if that's a onetime thing or a new direction.
Columbia Cartoons ---- I'm not sure how big the library is for these, but for now I think I'm okay if they were only broadcast during Toon In with Me. I could see them overtaking Popeye's Saturday slot since they do seem to lean toward the more popular toons as the morning progresses. I honestly can't say I've known of them either until TIwM began them. No clue either if CN/Boom ever played them. At least if CN had, I must not have had the channel at the time.

Ratios ---- I believe they've done 4/3 before. Mainly just only doing a single Pink Panther cartoon for that particular week. Not including the Popeye short where it's just him singing his theme, but I believe they'd gone 4/4 a few weeks ago. Don't quote me on that but having watched on DVR, I'd expected the typical Pink Panther cartoon after the third Popeye, only for it to be another Popeye, and still had 2 PP + R&R + TI in the middle of them.

Low Spark of Lyman

I never studied law
Tonight will mark the premiere of a spin-off: Sventoonie, the Toony the Tuna equivalent of Svengoolie. The character has occasionally appeared before on Toon in With Me. I don't know if the character has been on Svengoolie proper, although both Bill and Toony have occasionally appeared on Svengoolie segments (often with the Toony-Kerwyn rivalry depicted). The show will air at 10 PM*, immediately after regular Svengoolie. More info here: MeTV expands ‘Svengoolie’ franchise with fishy friend ‘Sventoonie’ - Robert Feder

On “Sventoonie,” the wise-cracking fish transforms himself into a piscine version of the famous host.

“In the debut episode, our talking fish puppet learns how to be a horror host with his very own show,” according to MeTV’s description. “The fanatical fish then swims through classic horror films with quippy insights, trivia, ‘Oopser Doopsers’ movie mistakes and more.”

So what would Sven tell viewers about his would-be doppelgänger? “I think it’s important for them to know that he’s the first host who actually has come out of the water — other than Jacques Cousteau and SpongeBob SquarePants,” Koz replied. Any advice to the fish? “I think I told him to make sure the audience is reacting in horror to his movies and not to his jokes.”

*Unfortunately, it looks like this show will be unavailable for me, as 10 PM is when local news airs on both MeTV stations I get (Boston and New Hampshire). Interestingly, while I've heard that Batman is returning, it's actually aired at 10:30 PM on Saturdays here for a while. I guess since Star Trek was previously on 10-11 PM Saturdays (it will be moving up an hour as of tonight), Batman became available for stations where the news partly preempts hour long shows, but not nationally (as will be the case starting tonight). In my case, at least, it's still on the same slot, just now in a more "official" capacity.

Last edited:

Low Spark of Lyman

I never studied law
Today's episode was dedicated to Tex Avery and the state of Texas (Avery was born and raised in Texas; it was there that he got "doc"). I initially thought today was Avery's birthday, but nope, that was back in February (Chuck Jones, who passed away on a February, had an aforementioned Bugs Bunny and Friends dedicated to him on that month this year, albeit nowhere near the exact date). May 30 is Mel Blanc's birthday, though (Avery and Blanc were both born in 1908).

Anyway, today there were two WB cartoons (The Heckling Hare, Porky's Duck Hunt) and three MGM cartoons (Billy Boy, Car of Tomorrow, The First Bad Man (narrated by Tex Ritter)).

Low Spark of Lyman

I never studied law
Okay, so today's episode (which I unfortunately slept through halfway) was something special: "Goldie's Farewell", serving as a send-off for cast member Leila Gorstein (who even appeared in the end as herself). Only four cartoons were shown this time, going for a "last" theme: False Hare, Spooky Swabs, Chariots of Fur and Hawaiian Aye Aye.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

My pfp is now changed to my oc (with her new outfit that introduced last June 14) for the first time.
Well, today is my birthday!

Hard to believe DiC lasted longer than most Saturday morning studios
Earlier today, my house was on fire. Nearly half of the house was burned down. It's expensive to fix the house thanks to damage. All help appreciated here in this link: Pay Markus Nelis using PayPal.Me
Check out @Zentron 's Art Stuff on The Drawing Board!

Some very cool animated clips and reworkings of Dungeons And Dragons and He-Man and She-Ra scenes. They start in earnest on Page 3

Featured Posts