Mean Spirited Cartoons

With the exception of shows like "The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy" and "Ed, Edd n Eddy", a lot of shows that attempt at being mean spirited are considered to be downright awful! What are some shows you feel are mean spirited and bad because they do it so poorly?

Last edited:

Nobodyman

Buttons and Mindy - Yeah, this one's pretty infamous. While a lot of greats skit arose from Animaniacs, this was not one of them. Most people like dogs and most people don't want to see poor Buttons get constantly bruised and beaten and ultimately scolded by Mindy's parents all while he did absolutely nothing wrong and, in fact, did everything he could to protect the dumb kid. I think a lot of us just wanted him to let the brat die.

Katie Kaboom - Another stinker skit from Animaniacs that, thankfully, only had two or three episodes (I think). I get the idea that they're trying to poke fun at how irrational and emotional teenage girls can be, but on its own terms, this is a really ugly and nasty look at what is, essentially, an abusive relationship. Even as a kid, I thought this was more horrifying than funny.

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends - Okay, so this show wasn't always mean-spirited, but there were a few episodes they were just way too hard on Mac (and maybe some other characters)

Dexter's Laboratory - As much as I love Dexter's Lab, I do feel they sometimes could be too hard on the poor kid.

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
Buttons and Mindy - Yeah, this one's pretty infamous. While a lot of greats skit arose from Animaniacs, this was not one of them. Most people like dogs and most people don't want to see poor Buttons get constantly bruised and beaten and ultimately scolded by Mindy's parents all while he did absolutely nothing wrong and, in fact, did everything he could to protect the dumb kid. I think a lot of us just wanted him to let the brat die.

Pretty much in a nutshell why I never cared for the Buttons and Mindy segments of Animaniacs. I've never been much of a fan of the "being punished for something you never did" trope as a kid, and I still hate it as an adult.

It's probably from the fact as a kid, you can really relate to this, like when the teacher yells at the whole class when a few students are misbehaving, and you're not any of the ones doing anything wrong.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
TBH, I have to tell you that IMHO, "mean-spirited" really isn't valid criticism for any medium out there.

However, yeah - it does sting when a character you might be into (as in like, maybe even love) gets hurt more than necessary. That can make or break an experience with a show you're watching.

Because of my feeling on all of this, I can't offer any examples, myself.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
South Park and Family Guy. South Park actually got so mean at some point I stopped watching it. Family Guy is getting there for me.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Some episodes of The Simpsons are absurdly mean. Like the one where Homer's collegue tries his best and thinks Homer's a bad employee (which he is!), and eventually he realizes it's no use, he becomes insane and starts acting like Homer. He dies almost immediately and then the episode ends with some stupid joke during his funeral.

I have seen every movie and almost every episode of The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, but nowadays I can't stand it anymore. It's just too mean.

ZanyLogic5

CatDog. Just seeing them (especially Cat) get constantly abused or injured for the most dumbest reasons is unsettling.

Radical

Banned
Here's a few examples,

Sylvester & Tweety/Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries - Seeing poor Sylvester get destroyed alot is so awful/painful to watch as much as I hated those shorts.

Tom & Jerry - Seeing poor Tom getting beat up alot from Jerry Mouse/Spike was terrible as much as I root for Tom.

Stressed Eric - Such a terrible awful cruel show, seeing poor Eric getting crushed/beaten up alot and always losing in the endings is so painful to watch.

Mindy & Buttons - I hated that terrible skit, seeing poor Buttons becoming a chew toy trying to save Mindy and get scolded by her parents which he did nothing wrong is pretty bad, I hate that trope though:mad:.

The Angry Beavers - Poor Daggett was always the biggest punching bag when he gets attacked alot and while clashing with Norbert/Truckie.

CatDog - My favorite classic Nicktoon, but poor CatDog(mostly Cat) always a punching bag to Winslow, the Greacer Dogs: Cliff/Lube/Shriek, and Rancid Rabbit giving them trouble alot.

SpongeBob SquarePants - I mostly feel sorry for poor Squidward/Sheldon Plankton throughout the show as much as they are huge chew toys.

The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy - Poor Grim always abused/tortured by the scumbag Mandy is pretty cruel, her "I OWN YOU" line made me sick though, but loved it when Grim got payback on her in Sickly Sweet(my favorite best satisfying episode).

Sidekick - I may enjoy the show, but seeing poor Eric getting bashed alot by Maxum Brain, Vana, and Professor Pamplemoose was pretty awful/cruel.

Eureka 7 - Poor Renton was the biggest chew toy from Axel, Holland/Talho, and Maurice/Maeter/Linck which was so a turn-off for me to watch as much as I hated the giant mech anime.

Pretty Cure - I may love the magical girl anime, but poor Natalie becoming a major chew toy throughout the show from Ryouta, Mepple, and Intelijin as much as I despise them crapping on her alot:mad:.

Last edited:

ShadowBeast

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends - Okay, so this show wasn't always mean-spirited, but there were a few episodes they were just way too hard on Mac (and maybe some other characters)
Frankie was another who wasn't treated well too.

Mindy & Buttons - I hated that terrible skit, seeing poor Buttons becoming a chew toy trying to save Mindy and get scolded by her parents which he did nothing wrong is pretty bad, I hate that trope though:mad:.
There was that one episode though, where Buttons got a happy ending with Mindy showing her appreciation for him, which was sweet.

superkeegan9100

YTPer, Cartoon Analyst, Artist
Frankie was another who wasn't treated well too.
I believe Frankie was the worst treated on the show. In the episode Busted, we saw that all Imaginary Friends had chores to do and rules to follow. After that, it was forgotten completely until the TV movie Destination Imagination (which was, Ironically, the last episode produced).

ShadowBeast

I believe Frankie was the worst treated on the show. In the episode Busted, we saw that all Imaginary Friends had chores to do and rules to follow. After that, it was forgotten completely until the TV movie Destination Imagination (which was, Ironically, the last episode produced).
And there was that impostor friend that made her life miserable.
But that Destination Imagination movie gave a satisfying ending to her torment as well as Herrimen giving her the respect she longed earned.

Golden Geek

Radio Demon
Staff member
Reporter

Four words: Foster's Goes to Europe.

ZanyLogic5

There was that one episode though, where Buttons got a happy ending with Mindy showing her appreciation for him, which was sweet.

You mean the movie (which was the finale to the series) where he got rewarded by her parents for actually being a "good" boy.

Star vs. the Forces of Evil comes to mind, especially it's First and Second season. The show almost always haves it's problems solved with violence, and it's humor is often sadistic.

Last edited:

Nobodyman

Uh, no, I think he still got scolded, but Mindy came to Buttons afterwards to give him the love he deserves.
I think you might thinking of an episode of the show. I remember quite clearly in Wakko's Wish that Mindy's mother rewarded Buttons for bringing her home safe.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts