MCU characters are so nerfed

powerjake

The characters that are heroes and villains in the MCU have been toned down alot when compared to their comic and even versions from other unrelated marvel animated series. The Hulk has been toned down to the point of not having super healing or the ability "the madder Hulk gets the stronger he gets", MCU Hulk was a total pushover that was never a threat to anyone. The writers nerfed Doctor Strange's spells, the only good depiction of Strange was when he fought against Thanos. Both Spider-Man and Black Panther had their intelligence nerfed.

Why do they downplay the characters so much in these MCU films?.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Are you arguing the MCU does a bad portrayal of the Marvel Universe? I don't think you'll get much agreement. The MCU is my favorite Marvel thing, live-action, animated, or comic book.

the greenman

The characters that are heroes and villains in the MCU have been toned down alot when compared to their comic and even versions from other unrelated marvel animated series. The Hulk has been toned down to the point of not having super healing or the ability "the madder Hulk gets the stronger he gets", MCU Hulk was a total pushover that was never a threat to anyone. The writers nerfed Doctor Strange's spells, the only good depiction of Strange was when he fought against Thanos. Both Spider-Man and Black Panther had their intelligence nerfed.

It's very simple, Marvel is owned by Disney. Nuff said.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

... Okay a few things about that.

1. You do realize how ridiculously INCONSISTENT the characters are portrayed in the comics right? Yeah in some events and comics Hulk is the super ridiculous super immortal World Breaker who could likely destroy the entire planet just by clapping hard enough... and then there are other comics within the same continuity where the army can knock him down with enough pin pointed fire power. You can't complain that the movies are doing a disservice to these characters when the comics dependent on whose writing them or what the point of the story is will have them be far stronger or weaker then they typically are.

2. The characters in the MCU are DIFFERENT then the ones in the comic book. I mean did any storyline end with Iron man being the one to defeat Thanos using the power of the Infinity Gauntlet and then dying? Like that NEVER HAPPENED in any of the comic books but I don't see anyone having a problem with that on a narrative or emotional level because of how that was built up to in the movies. So yeah things happen and it's not just personalities or plots but what a character actually is capable of.

3. So there can be a better BALANCE among all the characters. If the Hulk or Thor or others were at the ridiculous cosmic level they are in the comics all the time... what would be the point of everyone else in team ups where you have to give characters more to do then just stand around mouth agape and have them be a part of the fighting. Thus yeah some will be scaled down just so they fit in more with the world. Granted the comics do try for that time to time but the movies and shows need to do that more because

4. A grand majority of fans don't know the comics or source material and thus have to be introduced to the character and their world and the stakes and challenges they have and that includes making them vulernable for specific story structures that aren't common in comics but are common in film so it can mean weakening them for that specific point.

5. You also have to realize that the MCU is more based on our real world then the comics are so the scale is also much more to the real world now then even the current comics do.

There are more but I think those reasons sumise it and why this honestly is a pretty stupid question.

harry580

well if you thought disney nerfed marvel characters, look at how fox handled the marvel characters (x men, fantastic four and daredevil) before disney bought fox (expect for dp and maybe the first 2 x men movies)

at least fox and regency sold daredevil rights back to marvel in 2013 and the rest of fox marvel characters returned to marvel with the buyout of fox

powerjake

Are you arguing the MCU does a bad portrayal of the Marvel Universe? I don't think you'll get much agreement. The MCU is my favorite Marvel thing, live-action, animated, or comic book.

I'm just pointing out how they characters are downplayed in their abilities.

Freddy

This honestly has never bothered me. Even stuff like "Hulk never getting rematch with Thanos" never cross my mind as actual problem. Movies, and adaptations in general, already have to take certain amount of liberties and not including some of the more over-the-top feats of strength is pretty minor one in the grand scheme of things.

the greenman

I think the Hulk thing was kinda an issue with Marvel & Universal. They figured they weren't ever really going to use him significantly, so downgraded him. I am a big Hulk fan and still hold out hope for Maestro and even Amadeus Cho. Who knows.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

This cell was owned by June Foray.

Today is officially my 19th birthday!
The birthday thread is not updated since RegularCapital's birthday. If someone wants to greet, go to that thread.
Asa
Finally started playing Mario Sunshine on Nintendo Switch after many years.

I never got to finish the whole game as a kid, so I'll be able to finish it for the first time, ever :D.
So, the new Crispy Chicken Sandwich at McDonald's is just a glorified and more expensive version of the McChicken...without mayonnaise. But wait! If you pay more for the DELUXE Crispy Chicken sandwich, you CAN get mayonnaise :rolleyes:
harry580 wrote on ShadowBlinky's profile.
hey, I like your profile pic because Horton hears a who is my favorite movie

Featured Posts