"Masters of the Universe: Revelation/Revolution" (Netflix) News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
This doesn't sound like it's going to suck.

It will at least have an interesting voice cast. I am assuming this is the show aimed at older fans, while the CGI cartoon will be aimed at kids. I am curious how Kevin Smith will handle this, but I think Masters of the Universe is a versatile enough to have versions that appeal to older fans and versions that can appeal to kids.

This is an interesting voice cast, Kevin Conroy as Merman is certainly an out of left field and I am glad they brought back Alan Oppenheimer in a smaller role. Mark Hamill seems like the obvious choice for a modern Skeletor. One problem with Filmation He-Man is they only had the budget for a small voice cast, so this large and famous voice cast is impressive.

Speaking of Skeletor, he was always the best character in the old Filmation cartoon, so I wonder how they will handle him. Hordak in the new She-Ra cartoon was made more sympathetic, but most serious versions of Skeletor present him as pure evil:

The recent DC comics series gave Skeletor a decent reason for being a villain, being denied the throne of Eternia due to racism, but Skeletor quickly goes mad with power lust and by the end, he built a weapon that blows up planets and absorbs the souls of everyone on those planets and plans to use that weapon to destroy the universe and recreate it in his image, so he can rule it as a god of death and evil. So that series gave Skeletor a good reason being a villain at first, but that reason does not come close to justifying all the evil things he does in those comics.

Though it's clear that Netflix has revitalized Masters of the Universe as a franchise.

Last edited:

Freddy

That cast list is really cool. Pretty much people with ton of geek-cred and couple of Kevin Smith alumni (Jason Mewes as Stinkor should be a blast). Kinda weird that they got Alan Oppenheimer back, but didn't have him reprise Skeletor, arguably his most iconic role next to Falcor.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
That cast list is really cool. Pretty much people with ton of geek-cred and couple of Kevin Smith alumni (Jason Mewes as Stinkor should be a blast). Kinda weird that they got Alan Oppenheimer back, but didn't have him reprise Skeletor, arguably his most iconic role next to Falcor.

Oppenheimer is pretty old, almost 90. Having him play a smaller role that would be less taxing is the right move, IMO.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
The key will be in the writing and execution. I hope Kevin Smith is up for this. He's written some OK superhero comics. And this is only going to be a half hour animated miniseries, I think only what? Probably like 6-8 episodes.

But if it's just a bunch of talking and nonsense jokes and expectations subversions it's not gonna work. I hope it's not an excuse to drag He-Man either.

TargetmasterJoe

It's suppose to be a continuation of the 80s series so I'm expecting the designs to be very close. With much better animation.

Wish they could show us that already...

Unless Powerhouse Animation is waiting until after Castlevania season 3 is out to tease us with that?

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Do you guys think Skeletor and his henchmen will be only the villains in this show? Do you think King Hiss and the Snakemen would appear? I wonder if they would want to avoid using the Horde, considering they are the villains in the She-Ra show that is still going on.

StellaMagic

Do you guys think Skeletor and his henchmen will be only the villains in this show? Do you think King Hiss and the Snakemen would appear? I wonder if they would want to avoid using the Horde, considering they are the villains in the She-Ra show that is still going on.

I just hope Clawful will be in it. It would be nice to see him and Evil-lyn together.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter

Unless it's a surprise, no I doubt it on Snake-Men. They weren't in the cast list, and He-Ro of all people was in the cast list.

Also the first season is basically gonna be a miniseries, so I doubt they have a lot of time to get into the Snake Men.

Plus as I recall the Snake Men were not quite the same in the Filmation animated series. Like Rattlor was in the Horde. Kobra Khan was in the Evil Warriors.

Takao

Fight the darkness all around

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts