"Masters of the Universe: Revelation/Revolution" (Netflix) News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Zorak Masaki

I just hope the villains are more competent this time. Trap-Jaw was one of my favorite figures in the original line with a cool design, but on the show he was a clumsy oaf. Same for Beast-Man, Tri-Clops, Mer-Man, and every other villain (even Skeletor). At least the Horde on She-Ra had some competence behind them.

He-Man always bored me as a kid. It even had a boring theme song. In the 1980's! How unforgivable is that?

He-Man was one of those shows that never had a proper theme (it was just Adam/He-Man narrating the story of the show). Same with She-Ra, though the movie and the end credits did have "I have the Power", which was a pleasant enough pop-rock tune.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Netflix calllng this an anime series is wrong since this is american animated series not japanese

There is 0 chance of a crossover due to 2 different animation studios workikng on it:

She-Ra (Dreamworks Animation)

He-Man (Powerhouse animation)

I wonder if John Erwin will be back as He-man and Alan Oppenheimer as Skeletor

I think it has less to do with that and more to do with one is a supposed continuation of the 1980s cartoon. The other one was a total reboot. Will be curious to see what this means for the show:

cTwz1q3.jpg

So, I guess Teela is the lead now?

Going back decades, Kevin Smith talks a good game. He knows how to say the right thing to get geeks and fanboys excited, but I dunno. Let's see if he can deliver where this is concerned.

Frontier

Staff member
When Netflix calls a western cartoon anime, that's just marketing speak for it's an adult series that isn't a comedy.
Which is kind of sad when you think about it :sweat:.
[QUOTEI doubt it. Both are in their 80s and might not be physically capable of doing those voices anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if they get cameos, but Cam Clarke is probably the only prior franchise actor that has a shot at reprisal. He's not elderly, nor has he committed the Netflix sin of being Canadian.
[/QUOTE]
I'm sure he'd totally be down for coming back :).
He-Man was one of those shows that never had a proper theme (it was just Adam/He-Man narrating the story of the show). Same with She-Ra, though the movie and the end credits did have "I have the Power", which was a pleasant enough pop-rock tune.
I still kind of get goosebumps when I hear the 2002 show's He-Man theme :anime:.

Draco Dracul

Seems kind of odd that they get a famous creator to take the helm and get an A-List studio to do the animation, but keep the marque name out of the title. I know that the toys have always been branded under "Masters of the Universe", but I've always had the feeling that He-Man is the much stronger brand.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Seems kind of odd that they get a famous creator to take the helm and get an A-List studio to do the animation, but keep the marque name out of the title. I know that the toys have always been branded under "Masters of the Universe", but I've always had the feeling that He-Man is the much stronger brand.

Going by the official synopsis, He-Man is not the lead character. It's Teela. So maybe not putting He-Man in the title is deliberate.

Frontier

Staff member
Going by the official synopsis, He-Man is not the lead character. It's Teela. So maybe not putting He-Man in the title is deliberate.
My guess is Teela might be the initial POV character with the Sword of Power missing (which I assume means Adam/He-Man are missing as well) and He-Man probably regains focus once they find it.

The Overlord

ThunderCats had an awesome theme song and the pacing was quick (at least it was for that era). He-Man just plodded along. I don't think it was entirely the limited animation although that definitely didn't help.

I think the reason people like this cartoon is due mainly to Skeletor, who is a fun, over the top villain. Most the parodies and memes about the 80s show are about Skeletor.

I wonder how they will handle Skeletor? I say give him a sense of humor like he has in the 80s show, but portray as the competent, but monstrous villain we see in other adaptions.

So this show is suppose wrap up story lines from the 80s show, but that show was episodic and had no ongoing story. The only stuff I can see is Teela taking over as the Sorceress and Skeletor being revealed as He-Man's Uncle Keldor.

They can also introduce new villains like King Hiss and the Snake Men.

Frontier

Staff member
I wonder how they will handle Skeletor? I say give him a sense of humor like he has in the 80s show, but portray as the competent, but monstrous villain we see in other adaptions.
I'd put him in line with 2002 Skeletor, maybe just allowing him to be more deadly given the age group this is aimed at.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
I think the reason people like this cartoon is due mainly to Skeletor, who is a fun, over the top villain. Most the parodies and memes about the 80s show are about Skeletor.

So this show is suppose wrap up story lines from the 80s show, but that show was episodic and had no ongoing story. The only stuff I can see is Teela taking over as the Sorceress and Skeletor being revealed as He-Man's Uncle Keldor.

They can also introduce new villains like King Hiss and the Snake Men.

I don't think that's the main reason. It certainly isn't mine.

The Overlord

I don't think that's the main reason. It certainly isn't mine.

Then what's your reason?

I'd put him in line with 2002 Skeletor, maybe just allowing him to be more deadly given the age group this is aimed at.

I like the recent DC comics version of Skeletor, where he has a valid reason to hate Randor, being denied the throne due to racism, but takes things way too far, having an insanely high body count.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Then what's your reason?

Noble hero with a magic sword who rides a giant cat with armor.

I like the recent DC comics version of Skeletor, where he has a valid reason to hate Randor, being denied the throne due to racism, but takes things way too far, having an insanely high body count.

I don't think Keldor needs to be sympathetic. I like that he works fine as a megalomaniacal sorcerer who believes it belongs to him and is owed it.

The Overlord

Noble hero with a magic sword who rides a giant cat with armor.

I don't think Keldor needs to be sympathetic. I like that he works fine as a megalomaniacal sorcerer who believes it belongs to him and is owed it.
That's still a pretty basic concept though, only the cat as a steed is unique. I think Skeletor being a fun over the top villain was a reason a lot of people liked this show.

And DC comics Keldor was not sympathetic, he had a good reason to become a villain orginally, but near the end of the comic series he stole a billion souls and tortured them to create a super weapon that blew up a dozen planets and was designed to destroy the multiverse, so he can recreate it and rule it as a god of death and evil. Keldor having a good reason to mad at Randor at one point and being unhappy about being denied the throne, does not come close to justifying any of that stuff I mentioned. DC comics Skeletor was pure evil.

If his one weakness isn't Christmas, it isn't actually Skeletor.

Well replace love of Christmas with a love of power and mass murder, you get most of the comic book Skeletors, including the original Mattel mini comics version that come out in 1981, he predates the Flimation Skeletor.

Last edited:

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
That's still a pretty basic concept though, only the cat as a steed is unique. I think Skeletor being a fun over the top villain was a reason a lot of people liked this show.

Even basic concepts can still be very effective. Skeletor is arguably a basic villain conceptually as well.

The Overlord

Even basic concepts can still be very effective. Skeletor is arguably a basic villain conceptually as well.

Well the Flimation series did not go into Skeletor's backstory at all and all the comics either protray him as a demon that is invading Eternia or as He-Man's uncle Keldor. I prefer Skeletor being He-Man's uncle and you need to give him a backstory to explain why he is not king and why he is trying to overthrow Randor.

That backstory gives this series an interesting plot thread never touched upon in the 83 cartoon. You could have Skeletor being an invading demon, but that would go against Kevin Smith's promise that show would conclude plot points from the old show, Skeletor being He-Man's uncle and Teela becoming the Sorceress are only 2 plot points I can think of that they could expand upon in this new show.

Last edited:

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Well the Flimation series did not go into Skeletor's backstory at all and all the comics either protray him as a demon that is invading Eternia or as He-Man's uncle Keldor. I prefer Skeletor being He-Man's uncle and you need to give him a backstory to explain why he is not king and why he is trying to overthrow Randor.

That backstory gives this series an interesting plot thread never touched upon in the 83 cartoon. You could have Skeletor being an invading demon, but that would go against Kevin Smith's promise that show would conclude plot points from the old show, Skeletor being He-Man's uncle and Teela becoming the Sorceress are only 2 plot points I can think of that they could expand upon in this new show.

In Filmation canon, Skeletor is the former pupil of Hordak. So technically, he was at one point a member of the Horde and probably from the same planet.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts