"Masters of the Universe: Revelation" Anime Series in Development for Netflix

Latest News & Videos

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
This doesn't sound like it's going to suck.
It will at least have an interesting voice cast. I am assuming this is the show aimed at older fans, while the CGI cartoon will be aimed at kids. I am curious how Kevin Smith will handle this, but I think Masters of the Universe is a versatile enough to have versions that appeal to older fans and versions that can appeal to kids.

This is an interesting voice cast, Kevin Conroy as Merman is certainly an out of left field and I am glad they brought back Alan Oppenheimer in a smaller role. Mark Hamill seems like the obvious choice for a modern Skeletor. One problem with Filmation He-Man is they only had the budget for a small voice cast, so this large and famous voice cast is impressive.

Speaking of Skeletor, he was always the best character in the old Filmation cartoon, so I wonder how they will handle him. Hordak in the new She-Ra cartoon was made more sympathetic, but most serious versions of Skeletor present him as pure evil:

The recent DC comics series gave Skeletor a decent reason for being a villain, being denied the throne of Eternia due to racism, but Skeletor quickly goes mad with power lust and by the end, he built a weapon that blows up planets and absorbs the souls of everyone on those planets and plans to use that weapon to destroy the universe and recreate it in his image, so he can rule it as a god of death and evil. So that series gave Skeletor a good reason being a villain at first, but that reason does not come close to justifying all the evil things he does in those comics.

Though it's clear that Netflix has revitalized Masters of the Universe as a franchise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frontier

Freddy

Aug 1, 2012
That cast list is really cool. Pretty much people with ton of geek-cred and couple of Kevin Smith alumni (Jason Mewes as Stinkor should be a blast). Kinda weird that they got Alan Oppenheimer back, but didn't have him reprise Skeletor, arguably his most iconic role next to Falcor.

Reactions: Frontier

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
That cast list is really cool. Pretty much people with ton of geek-cred and couple of Kevin Smith alumni (Jason Mewes as Stinkor should be a blast). Kinda weird that they got Alan Oppenheimer back, but didn't have him reprise Skeletor, arguably his most iconic role next to Falcor.
Oppenheimer is pretty old, almost 90. Having him play a smaller role that would be less taxing is the right move, IMO.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
www.411mania.com
The key will be in the writing and execution. I hope Kevin Smith is up for this. He's written some OK superhero comics. And this is only going to be a half hour animated miniseries, I think only what? Probably like 6-8 episodes.

But if it's just a bunch of talking and nonsense jokes and expectations subversions it's not gonna work. I hope it's not an excuse to drag He-Man either.

Reactions: Terror of Death

TargetmasterJoe

Jul 1, 2018
USA
It's suppose to be a continuation of the 80s series so I'm expecting the designs to be very close. With much better animation.
Wish they could show us that already...

Unless Powerhouse Animation is waiting until after Castlevania season 3 is out to tease us with that?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Opinion changed from The 7D. I didn't like it, because it's often more bland despite the animation and the writing as well. It's kinda more like Teen Titans Go! I don't even blame on Parry Gripp's music.
Has anyone seen the new Sonic the Hedgehog movie yet? I just did and I LOVED IT! It was such a fun and heartwarming movie and I can't wait to see more of Sonic in the sequel (if it gets made)!
You think the 2016 reboot is the worst entry in the Powerpuff Girls franchise? That honor actually goes to "Powerpuff Girls Z". How about that?
I'm one of those people that's more familiar with Sonic's arch-enemy being called "Dr. Ivo Robotnik" rather than "Eggman".

As I mentioned, Melanie Minichino should definitely sing more.