"Marvel's What If?" (Disney+ Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerjake

Banned
@powerjake
There is that Moon Girl & Devil Dino, M.O.D.O.K, or the pre-school Spidey show coming soon...which aren't just completely detached from the MCU, but also not at all what we'd expect based on any era of Marvel toons

The show M.O.D.O.K is just Robot Chicken with Marvel characters.

What is the rating to the What If series?.

RoryWilliams

I fail to see what's sad about it, What If as a series only works when the general audience knows the context of the events and characters, without it its just a series of random stories, like for example asking the audience"What if Spider-Man never unmasked during Civil War?" doesn't work when most of the viewers watching only know a version of Civil War where Spider-Man never unmasked and revealed his identity, this just makes more sense.
Exactly. What If as a comic series works because the writers can take for granted your average Marvel reader knows things like the Dark Phoenix Saga or all sorts of trivia. Your average viewer's main exposure to Marvel is the movies, so it makes sense for What If to focus on that.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Last edited:

bigdaddy313

So according to "whatsondisneyplus" website Marvel's What-If animation is lead by Stephan Frank.

According to his linkendin page he is the Animation Supervisor for Marvel Studios.

He has worked for WB Feature animation, Meatball Production, Walt Disney Feature Animation, Lucasfilm Animation, Sony Picture Animation.

He works for Dark planet Comics, but with his new title at Marvel Studios which he has been since April 2019 I wonder if he is in charge of Animation Production or only on What-If.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
01/22:
For reference, here's the crew currently listed on the What's On Disney+ site.
Who Is Creating “What If”
The series is directed by Bryan Andrews; Ashley Bradley is head writer. A.C. Bradley is also the showrunner, writer, and producer. The series’ animation is led by Stephan Franck, with input from Marvel’s head of visual development Ryan Meinerding.

02/07:
Minor but Kat Dennings might also be part of the cast. (Note the article might contain Spoilers for WandaVision).

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
02/24:
A minor note, with Loki premiering a month later on Disney+ (June 11 instead of May) we might have to wait longer until What If...? debuts. Could probably be in August at the earliest, if they still plan on keeping the summer release time frame. The premiere dates announced today by Disney+ only covered up to July.

04/11:
Some more promotional art-work for the show.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Okay, so...

- Captain Britain Peggy :).

- Normal-looking Killmonger (Was Michael B. Jordan confirmed to come back for this :confused:?).

- Uatu looks grumpy :p.

- Gold Thor? Is that actually Thor :ack:?

- Gamora looks like she does in the Guardians cartoon :p.

- T'Challa as Star-Lord :cool:.

- Black Widow and Strange look...themselves? Widow might be more armored.

- "Guardians of the Multiverse?" Does that mean Uatu gathers these characters together as the MCU version of the Exiles o_O?

bigdaddy313

02/24:
A minor note, with Loki premiering a month later on Disney+ (June 11 instead of May) we might have to wait longer until What If...? debuts. Could probably be in August at the earliest, if they still plan on keeping the summer release time frame. The premiere dates announced today by Disney+ only covered up to July.

04/11:
Some more promotional art-work for the show.
First gorgeous looking poster from a Marvel Animated show that is the same as the show itself since the end of 2012 can't wai
- Gamora looks like she does in the Guardians cartoon :p.

A little but that costume looks like its from Endgame.

I wonder if it's 30 minutes or 45-50 minutes cause Invincible has spoiled me for longer episodes.

Frontier

Staff member
First gorgeous looking poster from a Marvel Animated show that is the same as the show itself since the end of 2012 can't wai
Now it's all a matter of how it looks in-motion...
A little but that costume looks like its from Endgame.
Both looks were based on her original GoTG costume, which makes sense :).
I wonder if it's 30 minutes or 45-50 minutes cause Invincible has spoiled me for longer episodes.
I hope they'll have however long they need to properly portray the "What If" ;).

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
- Normal-looking Killmonger (Was Michael B. Jordan confirmed to come back for this :confused:?).
Yeah, I couldn't remember either but Jordan is the first one listed on this image. I only remembered they mentioned there's going to be a "What If Killmonger ruled Wakanda" episode, so it would have felt a little weird if they didn't bring him in at least for that story. He's voice acted before (Gen: Lock comes to mind though there might be more examples) so he should do fine.
I presume the average episode would still be 30 minutes (more of less), but there might be some longer episodes occasionally. Look at WandaVision or Falcon & Winter Soldier, not all episodes have the same exact running time but I think the former might be a better example considering it also had half-hour long episodes initially. But we'll see.

Frontier

Staff member
Yeah, I couldn't remember either but Jordan is the first one listed on this image. I only remembered they mentioned there's going to be a "What If Killmonger ruled Wakanda" episode, so it would have felt a little weird if they didn't bring him in at least for that story. He's voice acted before (Gen: Lock comes to mind though there might be more examples) so he should do fine.
He was also Cyborg in Flashpoint Paradox :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Starting next month, I will be going back to using Magical Doremi profile pics for a while, because I want to honor the first magical girl series I ever watched.
Streaker Prower wrote on Vuxovich's profile.
What would happen if FUNimation did continue to use Ocean Media for Dragon Ball Z And Probably the Original Dragon Ball, GT, Kai, Super and the Video Games

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now

Featured Posts