"Marvel's What If?" (Disney+ Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
It will be cool if it’s 55 mins each, but I’ll take 30mins if that’s the case.
If it were a 30-40 min show like Mandalorian, that would be great. Lots of room to really stretch a mini-movie feel. We know how it is with animation though, where everything has to impeccably timed, and then the sorts of budgetary differences that come with changing the runtime. A lot can be done in 22 mins either so I just hope to see them make the most of whatever runtimes they aim for.

This cel shaded CG look grows on me as I watch it more. I've been comparing it to The Bad Batch trailer and while that one has me excited to see some hard hitting action, this one gives me an Amazing Stories type feel, sort of like expecting each episode to take me through a world of amazement and discovery.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

powerjake

Banned
Sad how Marvels "What If" animated series had to focus exclusively on the MCU.

It would been so much cooler if this Disney Plus series was based on the comics entirely and had nothing to do with the MCU.

marvel-what-if-tv-series.jpg

Frontier

Staff member

It would been so much cooler if this Disney Plus series was based on the comics entirely and had nothing to do with the MCU.

Granted, I think it would be a little more relevant to a tuning in general audience to see "What If's" involving the movies...

Last Spider

Arachnid Dude

I fail to see what's sad about it, What If as a series only works when the general audience knows the context of the events and characters, without it its just a series of random stories, like for example asking the audience"What if Spider-Man never unmasked during Civil War?" doesn't work when most of the viewers watching only know a version of Civil War where Spider-Man never unmasked and revealed his identity, this just makes more sense.

powerjake

Banned
I still love the MCU films its just all the Influences have been so common on marvels cartoons, comics and video games as the mainstream. I'm sure this Disney Plus series is still going to be entertaining.

Squidward looks bored of the influences.

giphy.gif

Awest66

I still love the MCU films its just all the Influences have been so common on marvels cartoons, comics and video games as the mainstream. I'm sure this Disney Plus series is still going to be entertaining.

giphy.gif

I don't mind the MCU having some influence but when the shows are basically carbon copies, It becomes a problem.

Last Spider

Arachnid Dude

giphy.gif
Except this series isn't influenced by the MCU it is a part of the MCU, it's directly taking a look at an alternate take on the movies, not blandly copying them.
I don't mind the MCU having some influence but when the shows are basically carbon copies, It becomes a problem.
That's not the fault of the MCU, that's the fault of people like Jeph Loeb, who didn't care about animated series and produced them cheaply, this series is made by the actual people involved with the MCU, and already looks both different and better than the series that came before

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
@powerjake
There is that Moon Girl & Devil Dino, M.O.D.O.K, or the pre-school Spidey show coming soon...which aren't just completely detached from the MCU, but also not at all what we'd expect based on any era of Marvel toons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts