"Marvel's What If?" (Disney+ Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Frontier

Staff member
Looks like they're going with a kind of photo-realistic CGI animation here...I don't dislike it, but it's kind of funny to look at :confused:.

Looks like part of the framing device is Dr. Strange communicating with The Watcher? We also see Stephen fighting an evil version of himself :ack:.

We've also got The Collector that seems part of the T'Challa What If (I guess this is What If GOTG had T'Challa as Star Lord) o_O.

Full Winter Soldier Bucky versus Zombie Captain America? I wonder how that happens :eek:.

Carol facing down someone :ack:?

bigdaddy313

I'm still waiting for something that looked as good as EMH, though...
It’s a different style but I’ll say it’s just as good, just have to get used to it. Smooth animation, shading, shadows, colour and amazing rendering.
It’s awesome.

Frontier

Staff member
It’s a different style but I’ll say it’s just as good, just have to get used to it. Smooth animation, shading, shadows, colour and amazing rendering.
It’s awesome.
I don't know. I don't hate it but it feels a little off with the photo-realism. I think I'll have to see more of it before I make a final opinion, but I'd prefer traditionally (well) animated Marvel cartoons.

bigdaddy313

I don't know. I don't hate it but it feels a little off with the photo-realism. I think I'll have to see more of it before I make a final opinion, but I'd prefer traditionally (well) animated Marvel cartoons.
So do I but I always appreciate unique animation styles as long as it is a very good budget.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I admit the animation takes a second to get used to as it does feel at first sort of "upgrade between motion comics sort of rotoscoping" esque feel but I get it's to truly emulate the life action nature of the MCU and honestly the more in action you see it especially in more grandoise shots like Peggy leaping onto Steve's giant mech body of the two Dr. Strange fighting it really works and the voice acting and music choices are top notch plus yeah it's clear they are exploring a bunch of unique ideas. I mean we knew about Peggy Captain America and Star Lord T'challa and there were hints of Marvel Zombies talk but I have no idea what the Captain Marvel one is or the two Dr. Strange are so yeah seems like each week will have an interesting new focus idea which can't wait to see that more in motion.

Frontier

Staff member
I admit the animation takes a second to get used to as it does feel at first sort of "upgrade between motion comics sort of rotoscoping" esque feel but I get it's to truly emulate the life action nature of the MCU and honestly the more in action you see it especially in more grandoise shots like Peggy leaping onto Steve's giant mech body of the two Dr. Strange fighting it really works and the voice acting and music choices are top notch plus yeah it's clear they are exploring a bunch of unique ideas. I mean we knew about Peggy Captain America and Star Lord T'challa and there were hints of Marvel Zombies talk but I have no idea what the Captain Marvel one is or the two Dr. Strange are so yeah seems like each week will have an interesting new focus idea which can't wait to see that more in motion.
I'm still hoping for a Marvel cartoon with Clone Wars level animation :cool:.

thisguyisnotcool

The artstyle is makes think What IF Archer had a bigger budget. Lol
And does Marvel Animation have their own animation division or is this outsourced to another studio?

Frontier

Staff member
And does Marvel Animation have their own animation division or is this outsourced to another studio?
Marvel Studios is overseeing this and I think they have outsourced the animation.
Did Boseman do this voice work before he passed, or is this a double?

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk
From all reports, Boseman did indeed record for this.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Did Boseman do this voice work before he passed, or is this a double?

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk
Since this has been in production for a while now, I presume Boseman did finish recording for his episode(s). There will probably be some kind of dedication to him when his story comes out. Kind of bittersweet his final performance in the MCU will be as another character - the one episode we know about has T'Challa as Star-Lord.
Re-posting this just in case, the news have been mentioned in the thread earlier - so far we know Squeeze and Flying Bark are animation studios that have worked on the show.

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
Looks significantly higher budgeted than anything Marvel did in-house the last decade. Looks good but it has the thing a lot of TV CGI cartoons bug me with, where a lot of the characters seem over-animated when they're just standing there talking, or like when Peggy Captain is running she's kinda doing so in a very over-exaggerated way that feels rubbery. It's just a thing I notice a lot of TV CGI cartoons do and it always feels like a bit much.

bigdaddy313

I am very happy with what I am seeing, can’t wait till next year. Eight years, eight years we have waited for a good looking Marvel Animated show.
I wonder how long is each episode.

How to Make Money as a Kid 2

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

City Escape was the best 3-D Sonic level until Sonic Colors. It's so much better than other 3-D Sonic levels (including other levels in the same game).
Blathers' museum in Animal Crossing: New Horizons gives me some Foster's Home vibes
Is it wrong that I think Gwyneth Paltrow is fairly useless? Yeah, she was Pepper. But what good has she done lately besides creating the stupidest headlines imaginable?
Loving the rumor of a BTAS revival. Personally I would far prefer a JLU one, but maybe this could lead to that.

Here is my major suggestion for the BTAS revival:

MAKE IT KID-FRIENDLY

Contd...
I am now old enough to drink! I'm 21!

Featured Posts