"Marvel's The Avengers" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

"Marvel's The Avengers" - Rate and Comment

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Some assembly required.

Marvel's The Avengers
Release Date: May 4, 2012 (3D/2D theaters and IMAX 3D)
Studio: Walt Disney Pictures, Marvel Studios, Paramount Pictures
Director: Joss Whedon
Screenwriter: Joss Whedon
Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner, Tom Hiddleston, Stellan Skarsgård, Cobie Smulders, Clark Gregg, Samuel L. Jackson
Trailer: Quicktime

Synopsis: Continuing the epic big-screen adventures started in "Iron Man," "The Incredible Hulk," "Iron Man 2," "Thor" and "Captain America: The First Avenger," "Marvel's The Avengers" is the superhero team up of a lifetime. When an unexpected enemy emerges that threatens global safety and security, Nick Fury, Director of the international peacekeeping agency known as SHIELD, finds himself in need of a team to pull the world back from the brink of disaster. Spanning the globe, a daring recruitment effort begins.

Comments?

Related Discussons:
-Captain America:The First Avenger Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Thor Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Iron Man 2 Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-The Incredible Hulk Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Iron Man Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes Episode Talkbacks (Spoilers)
-Avengers Versus X-Men Comic Series Talkback (Spoilers)
-Avengers Assemble Comic Series Talkback (Spoilers)
-Avengers Comic Series Talkback (Spoilers)
-Ultimate Avengers: The Movie Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Marvel Animation Age

MetroSparkster

...has nothing to say.
Just came back from the midnight release.

Epic, EPIC movie.:D

I just loved the feeling that all of the previous Marvel movies led to this huge project and the wait has been worth it. Especially at a packed theater! What a way to start Movie Summer!

Last edited by a moderator:

Locke

I saw this like a week ago since I'm English, was anyone else's experience kinda marred by that third act? Pretty much every review I've seen slates the act, but then goes on to give it like a nine out of ten anyway and I know it isn't about scores but still...

I think when the Avengers stopped fighting amongst themselves it fizzled out.

Nygma

"If it's all the same to you, I'll have that drink now." :D

Sketch

not like those other old guys
Pretty solid flick. Good action and some genuinely funny moments.

Well worth the wait.

the greenman

Remember for everyone seeing it for the first time this weekend, stay through the ENTIRE credits.

I had to leave early cause of work being done in my apartment, but I was going to see it again anyway.

Loved Hulk. Kinda monkey-is which I think was an interesting meta take on him. Bravo on Ruffalo and Whedon on making Banner the kinda shifty country doc who's too smart for his own good. I still miss Norton who would've antagonized everyone. I could see Ruffalo's Hulk in a solo film if they do it with one part Bixby Banner and one part Ruffalo's Hulk. The problem now is, is he even a fugitive anymore? I felt a lot of DCAU JL/JLU inspired convo during the Avenger bickering with Fury scene. I think Renner looked a little out of place in some scenes like he didn't know who Hawks was, grimacing and quipy one-liners will only get you so far. All in all very good. I hope they save our revealed uber-villain for film three, way too soon for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

suss2it

Went to the midnight premiere and wow this movie was awesome. Easily the funniest superhero movie I've seen with all the quips, bickering and one-liners. Hulk punching Thor was one of the funniest moments. Ruffalo and I think outta Norton and the guy that played him in the 2003 movie, Ruffalo was the best. It might be that he's had superior material to work with though.

Scarlet Jo was great as Black Widow. Loved her opening scene, the way she was playing those goons, and later Loki. Hawkeye was badass (then again so was everyone else) in this. I get why they had him as a brainwashed villain at the start since in the comics he started out as a villain. I'm glad they gave him his Ultimate outfit and not the classic one from the comics. His personality also seemed more inspired from the Ultimate comics and not his obnoxious self from the regular MU. With all the inner team fighting going on it would've been fun to get some classic Hawkeye vs Captain America snark.

Loki was a great villain. I love all the smirking and scheming he did. I wonder if he's gonna be back for Thor 2. What other villains does Thor have?

Surprised they killed Coulson though. Especially since Marvel is only now putting him in their comics and pushing him in other media like Ultimate Spider-Man.

All in all the action was great, the story intriguing and the characters were enjoyable. Hopefully the success of this will persuade DC/WB to do a Justice League movie, or at least a Superman/Batman one.

Locke

Hawkeye was badass (then again so was everyone else) in this. I get why they had him as a brainwashed villain at the start since in the comics he started out as a villain. I'm glad they gave him his Ultimate outfit and not the classic one from the comics. His personality also seemed more inspired from the Ultimate comics and not his obnoxious self from the regular MU. With all the inner team fighting going on it would've been fun to get some classic Hawkeye vs Captain America snark.

Loki was a great villain. I love all the smirking and scheming he did. I wonder if he's gonna be back for Thor 2. What other villains does Thor have?
As a big main Marvel U Hawkeye fan, I HATED Hawkeye in this movie, I mean sure I liked how badass he was and I liked the tech bow and quiver and his fight with Widow was probably one of the best in the movie. But I just felt him really out of place and his chilled, bantery - obnoxious as you put it - personality in the face of opponents much, much stronger than him is what I loved about him, go under dogs! Taking that out was a shame because both him and Widow and to a lesser extent Cap America stuck out because of their humanness at least when compared to Iron Man, Hulk and Thor as they were flying down and taking down space whales with fists and hammers and it could have made it a dynamic rather than a flaw.

I was also disappointed with Loki, I felt the team had more of a threat when fighting amongst themselves, he just felt like comic relief and that is wrong considering he was the main villain.

But what do I know, I seem to be the only comic, movie and Whedon fan who isn't just like 'damn he nailed it!' - I think he nailed parts and completely missed the mark on others.

MetroSparkster

...has nothing to say.
Surprised they killed Coulson though. Especially since Marvel is only now putting him in their comics and pushing him in other media like Ultimate Spider-Man.

I know. Just seeing how badass he was when confronting Loki, I was hoping he'd survive, but...

The death of Coulson was a surprise. I guess that leaves Maria Hill more room in the next film, though.

Over all, the movie was a lot better than I was expecting. Everyone felt like they got a lot to do, which really helped keep the movie consistently interesting. I loved Ruffalo's Banner and Hulk. I really felt like they finally managed to make a connection between the audience and the character, so I'm looking forward to what is next. I also loved Tony's new suit. We're just one or two steps away from a Sentai transformation sequence and device!! :p

I can't wait to see it again.

defunctzombie

1992 not 2002
Staff member
That was a good movie. It kind of fizzled around the part where Coulson died (a lame move, if you ask me), but it really picked up when Hulk joined the fight at the end. It did feel a little like "Iron Man 3 featuring Thor and those other guys" but what can be done when you have so many names in a movie like this?

Hulk taking over the comic relief in the second part was nice, though I think his character was all over the place. For the first half Banner is a time bomb that needs defused as quickly as possible, yet in the second he's just one of the guys? It really feels like they left something out.

As a big RDJ fan I did like seeing all the screen time without the helmet. The gray hair peeking out helped, too. :p

Avengers

Great film! absolutely delivered all the hype we were promised. Probably my personal favorite marvel film and it deserves the title, it was hilarious, character driven, action packed and even had notes of genuine heart.

Like most are saying Hulk was the stand out for me, perfect casting and perfect line readings, mark ruffalo was truly amazing (as was everyone) I will say when he said "that's the secret Captain, I'm always angry" I probably clapped longer then anyone in the theater......

Also:
when Thanos appeared I was so happy! finally a portrayal of marvel's darkseid! and who else got the absolutely stellar writing of "a battle with them would be courting death"

if not the Thanos in comics was originally driven by his love for the female personification of death, amazingly subtle and clever writing there

defunctzombie

1992 not 2002
Staff member
I'll admit I actually had to look up who that guy was. I've always read DC so I didn't have a clue.

suss2it

Locke said:
I was also disappointed with Loki, I felt the team had more of a threat when fighting amongst themselves, he just felt like comic relief and that is wrong considering he was the main villain.
He was the reason why they were fighting amongst themselves though.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I loved this film. I can't overstate how much I loved this film. The wait was soooo worth it. The director has my greatest respect.

The director and writers did a perfect job juggling all the characters; Iron Man, Thor, Black Widow, Hulk, Cap, etc. They all got great scenes of their own, and aside from Mariah Hill, I didn't feel like anyone got the shaft.

The special effects and battle scenes were amazing. I found nothing wrong with the final act. It was awesome! I was sad when Coulson died, though.:sad:

This film exceeded all expectations. It took my breath away. Awesome. I can't wait for Avengers 2.

the greenman

All in all the action was great, the story intriguing and the characters were enjoyable. Hopefully the success of this will persuade DC/WB to do a Justice League movie, or at least a Superman/Batman one.

WB has too much doggone red tape and no one in the film industry like Bruce Timm to pull things together. They have been able to do a JL film since X-Men back in 2000. Oh well. Avengers has got to be on its way to grossing 5-8 hundred mil worldwide.

I really like the idea of Tony Stark acceptance of Thor and Loki. The line "Im seeing, still working believing" was perfect. Looking forward to the dynamic in the next film.

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Terrific movie, everything I wanted it to be. Great chemistry and camaraderie among The Avengers, and I just really liked this team. They did a good job of presenting them as the team from the comics without missing a beat. You could just tell everyone was really having a blast making this movie, and did a great job of setting up more movies. This franchise is doing a great job of picking up steam, and I can't wait for Iron Man 3 and more MCU goodness. And that setup in that post credits scene is great. The next Avengers movie will be epic, to say the least.

One more thing: I really want a Black Widow/Hawkeye movie. I don't know of either has enough meat to have their own movie, but their relationship and past had me interested. I want to see more.

Astrolupine

Man on the wing.
Nitpicks first: the Chitauri are generic and dull, the first 30 mins. are a tad slow, I still prefer Ed Norton over Mark Ruffalo (good actor, but he mumbled a bit too much), I just don't care about Black Widow, Alan Silverstri's score is kinda forgettable... and that's all.

Random Notes:
- Up until the last 2 minutes, I was beginning to think there'd be no Stan Lee cameo altogether! But he showed up in the end, but definitely his weakest appearance.
- Thanos is in the house! But who's his lackey, Annihilus?
- Agent Phil's death wasn't terribly upsetting as I thought it would be, he went out like a champ and his death didn't go forgotten. Wish I could say the same for the expired Autobots in Bayformers.
- This wasn't Iron Man 3. All got the screentime they deserved. I was kinda worried for Cap, but he wasn't forgotten, and it makes sense to save his 'man out of time' arc for his next film.
- "Puny god." Ferringo's still got it!

That being said... I loved it. I really, really loved it. I could express my love for the movie in even gushier terms, but profanity would slip out. Between this and Cabin In The Woods, I finally understand geeks' love for Joss Whedon.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.
Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts