Marvel's Spider-Man "The Rise of Doc Ock, Parts 1-4" Talkback (Spoilers)

"Marvel's Spider-Man: The Rise of Doc Ock" - Rate & Discuss the Story-Arc!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

• ***1/2

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
part 3 is the weakest link for a number of reasons including the show's budget limitations.
It's at least refreshing to see the non-Spidey related reason behind the Sinister 5 or 6.

part 4 is incredible in how much time was spent between his core friends and really made me wish they could've developed Norman's thought process & relationships more to give it that umpf to his redemption.

Matt Parker

part 3 is the weakest link for a number of reasons including the show's budget limitations.
It's at least refreshing to see the non-Spidey related reason behind the Sinister 5 or 6.
I agree about the Sinister Six. Seeing them form to kill Spider-man is obviously fun and classic, but we've seen three cartoons do that storyline. Seeing them formed for a different purpose and then get hijacked by Otto was a refreshing change of pace that actually took me by surprise. My only beef with them was the inclusion of Ollie Osnic over the Shocker. Having Herman be a part of this team would have redeemed his lackluster introduction, IMO.

Frontier

Staff member
part 4 is incredible in how much time was spent between his core friends and really made me wish they could've developed Norman's thought process & relationships more to give it that umpf to his redemption.
I've always found it interesting that this is one of the few takes on Norman where he's not focused on Peter at Harry's expense.

Even his obsession with destroying Spider-Man is for ostensibly altruistic reasons rather then for the usual reasons.

Makes me wonder how becoming the Green Goblin will change him.
I agree about the Sinister Six. Seeing them form to kill Spider-man is obviously fun and classic, but we've seen three cartoons do that storyline. Seeing them formed for a different purpose and then get hijacked by Otto was a refreshing change of pace that actually took me by surprise. My only beef with them was the inclusion of Ollie Osnic over the Shocker. Having Herman be a part of this team would have redeemed his lackluster introduction, IMO.
I think this is the first time the Sinister Six's introduction or formation has been more of a side-thing then the central focus of an episode.

Most of them didn't even get lines or dialogue, even before Ock brainwashed them :sweat:.

Although with the whole "Sinister Five" thing and the roster I'm more tempted to think of this as a prototype or prelude to the proper Sinister Six, which I imagine will be more oriented towards destroying Spider-Man.

Last edited:

Roxas_Sora

Seriously, all this drama is making me crazy. Between Harry Osborn's stubborness to reject the fact that his father is a monster and do not accept anything else but what he says, and Norman's obssession with Spider-Man's being part of the Jackal's army, it's just incredible how imbecile people can be.

+ Seriously, how can people believe that Spider-Man did something to Warren? They had cameras, so how is it possible they didn't see Warren started to glow and turned into goo? Which normal human does such thing? It really bugs me (no pun intended) that Gwen even believed it through the news. I saw part of the following episodes, so I guess Gwen will testify Spider-Man's innocence and that the Jackal was actually cloning humans, as police don't seem to be chasin him anymore.

+ Very funny references to the Avengers, Peter imitating Captain America with his shield, and then Thor with Mjolnir. (Seriously, it's not so difficult to pronounce it). But I think Peter made a mistake using his webs to destroy the last camera. Don't you think the Jackal could get a hint of suspiction with that?

+ I knew from the very beginning that Norman Osborn wasn't going to die, because of the events happening in the following episodes (especially, "The HobGoblin"). I can assume that, when Norman destroyed the machine, the misterious gas coming from it made him adquire spider-powers, which allowed him to survive. So, if we don't have a "Spider-Queen", that means Norman will be the "Spider-King"?!! (Sooo many levels of wrong).

+ I expect Ollie Osnick being rescued at the end of season and joining Horizon High, maybe even becoming an official member of the Web Warriors. (Of course, he will need a new suit, maybe "Iron Spider"?). Of course, I also hope for Aleksei being cured too.

+ If clones have finally been introduced, I count for a Clone Saga for the next season. Having Ben Reilly, Kaine and Ultimate Jessica Drew in this show would be awesome.

Well, opinions?

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
Gotta admit while this show had a weak beggining but its been picking up, these past 5 episodes have been nothing but solid so far.

Frontier

Staff member
+ If clones have finally been introduced, I count for a Clone Saga for the next season. Having Ben Reilly, Kaine and Ultimate Jessica Drew in this show would be awesome.
I'm curious if we'll see Jackal nab Spider-Man's blood at any point during Spider-Island :ack:.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I thought these episodes were pretty great. The balance between action and drama was handled well enough for me, and there was some humor in there as well. Harry's one-track mind when it comes to Spidey being a menace was getting kind of tedious but at least after this story he has a more valid reason to hate him. I guess this was the turning point and we'll see if Harry ends up on the wrong side of the law, as the series' description hinted at from the start. I'd say it should be fun seeing how everything plays out, but I suspect things will only get more dramatic from now on.

Peter & Harry's friendship was handled better, and I really liked that segment with them (and Gwen) working together. Granted Harry was mostly pretending, but it's just something we haven't seen in a Spidey cartoon for so long it felt nice. I suppose some might argue the romance aspect is still missing, but honestly there really wasn't any need for it to be here in the first place.

The Jackal's return was pretty good, it's neat they're bringing in his clones since those could ensure some good action scenes. The first clone exploding was pretty surprising, at least to me, though the damage was relatively little. But by the end of the second part, an entire school is blown up. :p Also, I liked how they addressed the giant Lizard destroying part of Horizon in the previous episode.

The Sinister Five was a pretty interesting mix of characters. I think the most surprising one has to be Ollie Osnick. It just feels like a random choice, but at the same time I do appreciate them taking a few chances with this show. I agree it would have been nice to see Shocker again. I was thinking Lizard could be a member as well, thanks to either Norman or Otto manipulating him again. Similarly, I also thought that was Crimson Dynamo, and not a Spider Slayer. It would have made sense since we had Galina in the first part.

A small note in regards to Curt Connors' look from last week - it kind of reminded me of Bruce Banner from the 90s Iron Man cartoon, where he also had blond hair for some reason.

I honestly forgot Miles was in the last part until I saw his name in the credits. He didn't add much to the story, really (I imagine Spidey could have found a way to escape those guards himself).

All in all, good stuff. I can't think of much else to add but I really enjoyed this arc. Interesting how it was all titled "The Rise of Doc Ock", when the latter parts mostly focused on Jackal. If anything, these were more about his descent.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Marvel's Spider-Man "The Rise Of Doc Ock: Part Three"

That was great.

I think Norman is stupid. He unnecessarily creates SO many enemies that are not in his best interest to create. He screws over so many people for no good reason other than the fact that he's a sociopath and expects the rest of the world to simply take it. I don't think Octavious is going to be so pliable. Especially since Doc Ock has been making friends and influencing people. As he noted at the end, what exactly did Norman do?

Speaking of Otto, he kind of accidentally screwed Peter at the end, didn't he? Even when he isn't explicitly villainous yet, he still is a destructive influence to the people in his orbit.

For the record, him smirking at the idea of mind control was an explicitly villainous action. Which again makes me think Norman should think twice before crossing him.

"Now that's what I call a horn section" was a sublime pun. Who says there are no good Rhino jokes?

It's insane Miles is still simply known as "Spider-Man's friend". This is getting ridiculous.

This series however is just getting good. ****1/2.

Spider-Man "The Rise Of Doc Ock: Part Four"

This cinches it. I deeply dislike Harry Osborn. Peter would be better off without him. He talks about turnabout being fair play as if his and Peter's sins are remotely equivalent. If Gwen doesn't wind up disgusted with this scumbag, I'll think a lot less of her.

Speaking of which, I kind of feel like Gwen should have suggested calling the police at several points. It's unrealistic that she didn't.

It's weird that in the conclusion of an arc called "The Rise Of Doc Ock" that Doc Ock was barely in it, and only popped up at the end.

To be honest, I didn't love the conclusion. **1/2.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I forgot to mention this earlier, but other than Shocker, it would have been cool if they brought back Scorpion as well for this Sinister team. He's another classic Spidey villain and I kind of hope they will use him again on the show.

Frontier

Staff member
I forgot to mention this earlier, but other than Shocker, it would have been cool if they brought back Scorpion as well for this Sinister team. He's another classic Spidey villain and I kind of hope they will use him again on the show.
I'm still hoping they expand on his character when we see Peter start working at the Bugle next season, and they can go into his grudge against Jameson :evil:.

BlackoutCreature

Eh, I didn't find the second two episodes as good as the first two. The biggest problem for me was that for a storyline called "The Rise of Doc Ock", how tangential to the plot Otto actually felt. He was just kinda there until the last ten minutes of the final episode when he decided "ok, I'm gonna be the big bad now".

Frontier

Staff member
Eh, I didn't find the second two episodes as good as the first two. The biggest problem for me was that for a storyline called "The Rise of Doc Ock", how tangential to the plot Otto actually felt. He was just kinda there until the last ten minutes of the final episode when he decided "ok, I'm gonna be the big bad now".
This was one of my main negative points as well.

With all the focus on the Jackal and the Osborn's storyline, Otto's character development felt like an afterthought or off-screen as he went from the burgeoning, misunderstood hero from the first half into the full-on Supervillain Dr. Octopus in the second half.

Comicman2014

I enjoyed the 4-parter, but I have a few problems...

1. Otto is okay that his team is called the SINISTER five? This version of Ock isn't really evil.

2. Does Jackal's cameras record audio? If so, Peter should have kept his mouth shut. Perhaps it's not a good idea to talk to yourself aloud, Peter.

3. I haven't seen all of the episodes, but does it seem like most of the super villains are connected to Norman Osborn? Not sure I like the majority of the villains being pawns and lackeys of Norman. If Hobgoblin is Harry, then Hobby will be another Osborn lackey. :confused:

Last edited:

Roxas_Sora

I'm curious if we'll see Jackal nab Spider-Man's blood at any point during Spider-Island :ack:.

I'm pretty sure we will see a hint of a scene like that. I bet it won't be in this week's episodes, but next week's ones; because we discover then that the mastermind behind this is the Jackal. In a similar way to how Miles Warren get Spidey's DNA back in 90's animated series, I bet Spidey will suffer an injure that it will let blood (which a doubt from a kids show) or a piece of his costume behind which will provide the Jackal with a sample of Spider-Man's DNA. And that can only mean problems in the future of both Peter Parker AND Spider-Man.

General Mike

Finally got around to watching this. I feel a bit bad for Dr. Octavius, but not so much after he went full villain. The Harry-Peter relationship is the most intriguing thing about this show to me.

I don't know where this show is going, but at the end of the day, it feels like Osborn is just pulling everyone's strings whether its Octavius, Connors, Jackal, etc.

Frontier

Staff member
Finally got around to watching this. I feel a bit bad for Dr. Octavius, but not so much after he went full villain. The Harry-Peter relationship is the most intriguing thing about this show to me.
I think that's the thing for me.

Prior to the final part Otto seemed like a decent, if very arrogant and driven individual, but then he suddenly became a full-on megalomaniacal Supervillain and that part of his character was seemingly gone for little reason.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts