Marvel's Spider-Man "School of Hard Knocks" Talkback (Spoilers)

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

Rate & Discuss this "Spider-Man" Episode!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

• ***1/2

Votes: 2 66.7%

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
8,019 6
A Valid Location
Check out a new episode of Marvel's Spider-Man tonight at 6:30PM ET on Disney XD!

Marvel's Spider-Man "School of Hard Knocks"
Episode Debut - July 9th, 2018

When Spider-Man infiltrates an elite boarding school, he runs into, and then is forced to team up with, Ms. Marvel, who’s on her first solo Avengers mission, and resents having to share the assignment.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Apr 14, 2017
Ratings
It isn't bad this is a type of story that i could see being dragged on to a actual story arc

No that I think about it I wish it was dragged out and had more time dedicated to it than one episode.

Imagine if horizon high was a cover for aim and peter spent time unraveling the mystery throughout the series at a major twist .

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
Ratings
2,475 4
177A Bleecker Street
This was a fun team-up to me. I was a little worried when Kamala was being crabby towards Spidey in that one preview clip but they got around that pretty quickly. It felt weird that Ms Marvel would be the veteran hero in comparison to Spidey but it seems as though she's still treated like a Junior Avenger in comparison to the adult members. I thought this was a pretty cool version of the Scientist Supreme, at least from a design standpoint. We always see Kamala being the kid in the group but it's nice seeing her interact with with a fellow teen hero. I didn't expect to see a full Avengers team show up but that was cool. I'm not too fond of certain aspects of their designs though, like Cap's weird wing placement and lack of an A on his helmet and Widow and Capt. Marvel's haircuts. If this show got another season or they started another series, I hope Spider-Man has more team-ups with unexpected or teen heroes like this.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,765 7
Framingham, MA
Spider-Man "School Of Hard Knocks"

How bad is Spider-Man? Ms. Marvel thinks he's the goofy, annoying hero.

The characters in this episode were so stupid. Grady didn't know the Avengers were prisoners the entire time? Somebody that stupid does not belong in a school for geniuses. Which shows the problems with superhero cartoons and kids shows. They make the characters dumber than any real-world person would be in that exact situation. There are hicks out there that would fall for AIM's jive. But none of them would be budding scientists.

Hulk and Black Widow's designs on this show are fugly.

Liked Ms. Marvel, didn't like much else. **1/2.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,582 46
Sherman Oaks CA
I would never say J. Jonah Jameson is above being a hypocrite when it comes to his hatred of Spider-Man, but I did find it kind of weird that he was so pro-Avengers. Usually Jameson is pretty staunchly against Superheroes in general, with Spider-Man being the center of most of his ire towards spandex-types o_O.

And shouldn't Ms. Marvel be subject to the same criticisms as Spider-Man, since she also masks her identity? Or does she get a pass because she's an Avenger? Or maybe she gets a pass since we hardly ever see her having a life outside being a Superhero :sweat:?

Kinda funny that we got an electric-powered girl before we get an on-screen appearance by Electro. I was almost half-expecting the girl to turn out to be Francine Frye. Although how did they give her electric powers when none of The Avengers AIM had in custody have electric powers :confused:?

Oh hey, Grady Scrapps. He was one of the actual people at Horizon Labs in the comics, but that has no bearing on his role here. He seemed like a decent enough and amusing kid mixed up in something he had no real idea about, but how the heck does he not know AIM is a bunch of scientist criminals :rolleyes:?

It was weird enough that we have a version of Spider-Man that's the rookie teen hero to Ms. Marvel's young Avenger, but Kamala's personality also felt a little off here. Like, she usually acts a lot like Spidey did in this episode, but here she's much more serious, cynical, and self-conscious about being an Avenger :ack:.

I also thought it was disappointing, if not unexpected, that we just had Kamala team-up with Peter here with Miles nowhere in sight :sad:.

Did they low-key indicate Peter having a crush on Kamala here? I mean, they faked being a couple, but the way he stammered around her and hesitated to touch her shoulder at the end was noticeable. I thought it was cute, but I also know that's probably the most romance we're getting out of this show :p.

Spidey has a bad habit of getting accused of being the sidekick whenever he's in a team-up. I guess it doesn't help that he needs to get saved as much as he does in said team-ups :rolleyes2:.

It was pretty awesome seeing the show keep it's streak of female villains going with Scientist Supreme, as Monica Rappicini finally makes her animated debut. It was pretty refreshing to see a leader of AIM that's not MODOK, and I though Monica proved a fine antagonist for our heroes here, and Grey Griffin did a solid job with her voice :cool:.

AIM getting a hold of an Avenger is one thing, but how the heck did they manage to nab Captain America, Captain Marvel, and the Hulk :eek:?

It looks like the show wanted to go out of the way and get around to Spidey meeting more Avengers, with both Captains America and Captain Marvel making their debut, although neither really got to interact with Spider-Man that much, which was a bit of a bummer :(.

Now I think the only Avengers who've been mentioned or alluded too but have yet to appear are Hawkeye and Thor :).

And once again, Carol Danvers is stuck with a weird hairstyle in a cartoon, although I guess this one matches her current comic look more :knd1:.

It was kind of weird that they had Grey Griffin in the cast but Captain Marvel didn't get a single line, especially when her Ms. Marvel was also in the episode. I mean, Roger Craig Smith at least got a single line in as Cap. They couldn't have at least fit in a quip from Carol as she hauls Monica into the paddy wagon :shrug:?

I love how Spidey re-assured the kids about their school being a front for Supervillains by telling them they don't have to go to school anymore :anime:.

So apparently Kamala figured out who Peter was and where he lives. Does that mean The Avengers know who Spider-Man is? Not that I'd put it past them, but it feels like something that should probably be addressed at some point...

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,741 29
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
So was it not that big a secret amongst the students that AIM was affiliated with the school? The Scientist Supreme didn’t seem to mind that two students (Peter and Kamala undercover) saw AIM agents.

It’d be nice if Spider-Man gets to meet with the Avengers more. Or meet other teen heroes like students from Avengers Academy, who I’m surprised haven’t appeared in a cartoon yet (nor the Runaways for that matter). Who knows what they plan to do with the show now, seeing how this could be its final season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.O

Sep 21, 2016
Ratings
309 3
That small bit of faux romance seemed almost hilariously out of place in a current Marvel show. Even a show about teenagers. That really says something.

Jul 11, 2018
Ratings
comic world
It was an okay episode, but one thing bothers me...

Why is that when Spider-man meets an Avenger, he acts like a clownish buffoon? He isn't THIS annoying in his solo episodes. They crank it up to eleven here. When introducing a big name hero, they always make Peter look stupid and incompetent. :mad:

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,582 46
Sherman Oaks CA
It was an okay episode. I have one gripe about it...

Why is that when Spider-man meets an Avenger, he acts like a dimwitted buffoon? He doesn't act like this in his solo episodes. They sometimes dumb down Peter's intelligence to make other heroes look cool, and it's getting kinda annoying. :mad:
If I had to surmise, I'd guess Peter's enthusiasm at meeting one of his idols or a big-shot Avenger just makes him over-compensate to try and impress them, leading him to make a bit of a fool of himself.

Mr.O

Sep 21, 2016
Ratings
309 3
It was an okay episode, but one thing bothers me...

Why is that when Spider-man meets an Avenger, he acts like a clownish buffoon? He isn't THIS annoying in his solo episodes. They crank it up to eleven here. When introducing a big name hero, they always make Peter look stupid and incompetent. :mad:
It's almost the opposite of USM. From what I recall, Peter was still annoying, but the super hero guess stars usually under-performed so Pete could look better

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,582 46
Sherman Oaks CA
Except Peter has met a ton of these heroes before. He shouldn't still be acting like this.
I wouldn't say he's met a "ton," it's really only been Iron Man, Hulk, and Black Widow by this point.

I guess also the Guardians too if we count the crossover, although they kind of strain the definition of "heroes" :p.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

Happy 20th birthday to PPG. Even in the good times and the bad times, you're still a show worth watching.
Holy smokes! Churned out 15 freaking pages of the latest Gilda and Meek today! I am in the freaking zone and so happy with how things are going in the final issue I will be posting on Toon Zone.
Asa
Happy 90th birthday to Mickey, 20th birthday to PPG, and 30th birthday to LBT & O&C.
Happy 20th Birthday to the one, the only... THE POWERPUFF GIRLS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCA1cifF4fY
Happy 35th anniversary to A Christmas Story, happy 20th anniversary to PPG, and happy 90th birthday to Mickey Mouse!