Marvel's Spider-Man "How I Thwipped My Summer Vacation" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this "Spider-Man" Episode!

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• ***1/2

Votes: 1 50.0%

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Check out Marvel's Spider-Man! The 2nd Season premieres today on Disney XD, with two new episodes, starting at 6:30PM ET!

Yqj5AHH.jpg
Marvel's Spider-Man "How I Thwipped My Summer Vacation"
Episode Debut - June 18th, 2018

In a series of shorts, we follow Peter Parker as he tries to have the best summer vacation ever, only to have his plans be consistently ruined by his responsibilities as Spider-Man.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Note: If possible, please try and discuss the events of each new episode airing today in its respective talkback thread.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Marvel's Spider-Man "How I Thwipped My Summer Vacation"

Wow, I'm gonna start the review grousing. And I actually LIKED the episode. But this bugs.

There is no way that large an amount of money would be the prize for a hot dog eating contest. And even if it was, Miles carries the bills out in the open in his arms the entire way home? You know those adults who think cartoons are stupid and for babies? Crap like this is why.

Hammerhead has raised quite the Joffrey-level little turd. And he seems to be feeding into all of the kid's most horrible impulses. Hammerhead is Cersei Lannister.

Love that the pop star is excited Spidey is a fan. And Spidey is excited learning the same.

Loved Peter pretending to Tinkerer he had no idea what losing felt like. If Tinkerer weren't such a moron, he's be able to tell Spidey was putting him on.

Peter and Miles are allowed to go on a camping trip with Gwen and Anya unsupervised? Where Are The Parents? This is a teen pregnancy waiting to happen.

Nocturnal's superpower of turning his head around is freaky.

You know, "She isn't even alive anymore" is a REALLY clunky way to say "She's dead". Not only would the joke have landed funnier had Jameson been permitted to say that joke, it would have been funny in the first place.

Good episode. ***1/2.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I enjoyed this a lot. I'm kind of a sucker for slice of life + superhero antics and that's what we got here. It was personally great to see Black Cat up to her usual antics. Nocturnal's story was pretty sad. How is that piece of trash Hammerhead never locked up? I didn't expect to find out he was a dad after seeing how he manipulated Keemia but, of course, it's not surprising that he's not a great dad. When his son started his kung fu fighting, he reminded me of little Korra from the opening scenes of Legend of Korra with his chubby tummy and kung fu moves. It was kind of cool that the pop star here wasn't a jerk but turned out to be a Spidey fan instead. Despite what Peter thinks about the bad guys ruining his summer, it looked as though he was having some good times with his family and friends. It was also nice see Jonah, Eddie and the Bugle make their entrances on to the show.

It's not perfect but I really enjoy this show.

Peter and Miles are allowed to go on a camping trip with Gwen and Anya unsupervised? Where Are The Parents? This is a teen pregnancy waiting to happen.

This sort of situation where kids have a lot of freedom without guardians happens on TV a lot and it's always noticeable. This show has also been one where the grown-ups are only around when absolutely necessary. This is a pretty shenanigan free group though but you'd still think a parent like Capt. Stacy might be a little more vigilant.

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Marvel's Spider-Man + Season 2 Premiere= Excellent

I definitely look forward to more. The unique format gives the episode an edge.

Frontier

Staff member
"How I Thwipped my Summer Vacation" AKA "The most unlucky Summer of Peter Parker's life" :p.

It's definitely obvious that this episode was meant to be aired as different shorts then as a full episode, moreso then the "Mission Breakout" episode of Guardians. Granted, there was still a unifying theme of Peter's Summer going on, so it wasn't that jarring :).

I know Flash isn't really much of a bully anymore (or ever really was on this show), but it still feels kind of weird to have some bullies pop up to bother Peter and his friends and not have Flash Thompson there. At least it would give him some actual screentime :shrug:

It was nice to see Black Cat again and having her cause so many amusing mishaps for Spidey (and maybe even causing Peter's bad luck during Summer overall). I'm kind of bummed at the thought that the show probably won't do anything more with her then as a one-off villain, but at least she's a fun one ;).

Hey, Eddie Brock! OG!Venom finally makes his long overdue return to animation. I love how even before he's even met Peter Parker Spider-Man is still getting in Brock's way :p.

So, uh...what is Miles going to use all that money for? Is that how they afforded the camping trip :ack:?

Well, that Baseball game with Aunt May is about on par with her amount of screentime in the entire first season. Hopefully she'll get more to do this time around...

Tinkerer was the only villain from Homecoming who never showed up in season 1, so it was nice to see him make an appearance here. Although he felt more like Weather Wizard from The Flash then he did the Tinkerer, and certainly didn't provide much of a challenge for Spider-Man here :sweat:.

"Ross Caliban?" I know Marvel isn't rampant with Pop Stars who aren't Mutants, but it felt kind of weird to see them just make somebody up for this one segment. Also felt like a bit of a waste of Jeremy Shada in a Spider-Man cartoon :sad:.

Though speaking of original characters, we also have Hammerhead's son, even though Hammerhead himself has been a swingin' bachelor for most of his comic career, who talks exactly like he does. He also gave Spider-Man more of a physical challenge then Hammerhead ever has on this show, which...was really weird :confused:.

Was Nocturnal also an original character? I want to say he was from Untold Tales of Spider-Man, but I'm not sure o_O.

Peter and Nocturnal bonding over their shared circumstances and contrasts was doubly-amusing when you realize that it's cartoon Spider-Man (Robbie Daymond) bouncing off video game Spider-Man (Yuri Lownethal) :anime:.

The fact that only Freshman can intern at Horizon seems a little silly, but it does force Peter to have to do what most Spider-Men before him have...get a job :rolleyes2:.

Peter's interviews were pretty amusing, though it was also interesting to see that he apparently had a rematch with Sandgirl and may have also had his first fight with Electro :cool:.

I also found it fitting that in a segment where Peter is on his way to finally working at the Daily Bugle again (which we haven't seen in a Spider-Man cartoon since Spectacular), he tussles with Scorpion. Not that I expect the show will probably address that connection here :knd1:.

It's been nine years, but once again Peter Parker is taking shots of Spider-Man for the Daily Bugle. Only this time, it's shots with a video camera :proud:.

Matt Parker

That was a pretty mixed bag of an episode for me. I'll discuss each short separately, because they are mostly stand alone pieces.

The Black Cat short was really fun. Black Cat is one of the strongest one off villains in Season One, so I'm glad to see her back. Plus, seeing Peter and Miles actually hanging out made their friendship more believable (even if this show clearly doesn't know how to deal with Miles).

The Tinkerer short was my least favorite. While I liked the running gag of Spider-Man having no knowledge of sports (even if that throws out the idea that Peter and Uncle Ben used to go to baseball games together which is prevalent in the comics) and it was fun to see Aunt May, Tinkerer might be the worst villain the show has done. I really wasn't a fan of his portrayal and his fight with Spidey completely fell flat for me.

The Hammerhead short was pretty good. I didn't love that his son was such a threat to Spider-Man, but I enjoyed it on the whole.

The camping short was good but weird. I'm pretty sure the owl kid was an original creation, and the resolution to that conflict was strange and unsatisfying, even if there were some touching moments.

The last short was by far the strongest, with Peter trying to find a job and his constant Spider-Man adventures getting in the way. That was some classic Spider-Man stuff right there.

Overall, I'd give this episode a 6 or a 7. It was kinda fun, but I didn't love it. Still, I'm happy to have the series back.

SweetShop209

"How I Thwipped my Summer Vacation" AKA "The most unlucky Summer of Peter Parker's life" :p.

Was Nocturnal also an original character? I want to say he was from Untold Tales of Spider-Man, but I'm not sure o_O.

The fact that only Freshman can intern at Horizon seems a little silly, but it does force Peter to have to do what most Spider-Men before him have...get a job :rolleyes2:..

1. Someone can make a documentary on that.

2. I was almost tempted to call him Vulture's son due to the bird like motif.

3. Max probably assumed Peter had a part time job to help pay for things. Plus, though not as uncommon, some high schools do make things easier for freshmen financially. It happened in my high school.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
The Tinkerer short was my least favorite. While I liked the running gag of Spider-Man having no knowledge of sports (even if that throws out the idea that Peter and Uncle Ben used to go to baseball games together which is prevalent in the comics) and it was fun to see Aunt May, Tinkerer might be the worst villain the show has done. I really wasn't a fan of his portrayal and his fight with Spidey completely fell flat for me.

The Hammerhead short was pretty good. I didn't love that his son was such a threat to Spider-Man, but I enjoyed it on the whole.

Haven't some comics been inconsistent about Peter's Sports knowledge as well? I personally always loved the idea of Peter and Uncle Ben bonding over Mets games though.

The first thing I noticed when Hammerhead's son was shown was that he was wearing the Game of Death jumpsuit but I really didn't expect them to start busting out Kung Fu moves. I like to think of it as Peter really going too easy on this little kid then him really being that much of a threat.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
Haven't some comics been inconsistent about Peter's Sports knowledge as well? I personally always loved the idea of Peter and Uncle Ben bonding over Mets games though.
It's at least consistent with this version of Peter since the show made it pretty clear in season 1 that he didn't know anything about sports :p.
The first thing I noticed when Hammerhead's son was shown was that he was wearing the Game of Death jumpsuit but I really didn't expect them to start busting out Kung Fu moves. I like to think of it as Peter really going too easy on this little kid then him really being that much of a threat.
Spidey did say he couldn't fight a kid...

Frontier

Staff member
Plus, seeing Peter and Miles actually hanging out made their friendship more believable (even if this show clearly doesn't know how to deal with Miles).
I thought it was funny that we had Miles in two episodes and he doesn't suit-up in either of them. Like, what is he even around for :p?
Tinkerer might be the worst villain the show has done. I really wasn't a fan of his portrayal and his fight with Spidey completely fell flat for me.
He didn't even feel like the Tinkerer. He mentions that he "tinkers," but we never saw him actually do any of that, and who knows if we'll ever see him again :shrug:.
The camping short was good but weird. I'm pretty sure the owl kid was an original creation, and the resolution to that conflict was strange and unsatisfying, even if there were some touching moments.
I feel like that needs some kind of follow-up, even if I doubt we'll get it :ack:.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Fun way to start the season (and pretty fitting since we're in the summer season as well), and nice way to bring back the Daily Bugle (and Jameson, I missed him).

I wonder if Nocturnal will appear again. It would help his last scene here feel less abrupt.

I was wondering why Peter didn't invite Harry to go camping, but I guess they explain that in the next episode.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts