Marvel's Spider-Man "Goblin War, Parts 1-4" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this "Spider-Man" Arc!

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Catch a new episode of Marvel's Spider-Man, tonight at 9:30PM ET on Disney XD! Check out the first chapter of a new arc! The episode will also be available on DisneyNOW before its debut on TV.

yqj5ahh-jpg.188162
Marvel's Spider-Man "Goblin War, Part 1"
Episode Debut - November 10th, 2019

Spider-Man teams up with Spider-Girl, Ghost-Spider and Doc Ock to track down a new threat – the mysterious Goblin Nation.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Roxas_Sora

Even if Adrian Toomes is discovered under the mask of the "Goblin King", I still suspect it's actually Norman Osborn moving the strings. I bet he uses Toomes as a decoy while Norman (as the true Goblin King) prepares a quite bigger plan.

And although I really hate Anya and Gwen suspecting from Peter, I can't actually blame them; this is actually all Octavius' fault. I'm afraid Peter will have to reveal his identity to the girls in the next episodes. After all, the other members of the team (Miles, Harry and Octavius) already know it.

Comicman2014

And although I really hate Anya and Gwen suspecting from Peter, I can't actually blame them; this is actually all Octavius' fault. I'm afraid Peter will have to reveal his identity to the girls in the next episodes. After all, the other members of the team (Miles, Harry and Octavius) already know it.

My mouth dropped when they thought Peter was the mysterious goblin. Wow...just wow. I'm lost for words. Just because "Peter" was acting like a jerk to them?! I think it's time for Peter to get new friends. So far, Kamala Khan seems like a better friend than Anya and Gwen. If my best friend acts like a jerk around me, I'm not going to immediately suspect him of being a homicidal madman. I am shocked at Anya and Gwen in this episode. :oops:

I know it's a big misunderstanding, but Peter deserves better than this.

By the way, why does Peter keep webbing people's mouths even though they are wearing masks? They can still talk. He does it twice in this episode.

Last edited:

Pattern_Maker

I'm surprised they used Alistar Smythe again and that he is at Horizon. I hate how he was given Peter's lab though. It took a while to sink in that he was a member of the Goblin Nation, but looking back on how he was so loyal to Norman it makes sense. Though Alistar's hatred of Spider-Man is kind of out of nowhere unless there was an off-screen fight between the two.

They're still two of my favorite characters from the show, but I'm beginning to see what people mean about Gwen and Anya not being close to or knowing Peter as well as Miles and Harry (and technically Ock). Though Ock is also to blame for everyone at Horizon being mad at Peter. Still can't wait to see how they react to finding out Pete is Spider-Man.

Max. Didn't think much of him at all, but the last episode made me hate him. In this one at least he was calmer, which was not expected.

I think Gwen's "gliding" is actually flight and not what Jessica Drew can do. When they were rounding up the Goblins on those rail carts Gwen webbed two of them at the same time and was still flying while carrying them in her webs.

By the way, why does Peter keep webbing people's mouths even though they are wearing masks? They can still talk. He does it twice in this episode.

It lets them know he's not in the mood for their revenge monologue?

Last edited:

Roxas_Sora

My mouth dropped when they thought Peter was the mysterious goblin. Wow...just wow. I'm lost for words. Just because "Peter" was acting like a jerk to them?! I think it's time for Peter to get new friends. So far, Kamala Khan seems like a better friend than Anya and Gwen. If my best friend acts like a jerk around me, I'm not going to immediately suspect him of being a homicidal madman. I am shocked at Anya and Gwen in this episode. :oops:

I know it's a big misunderstanding, but Peter deserves better than this.

This is what in comics is called "Parker's Luck". Even in the best moments, Peter Parker's luck is so stinking that causes him to have problems he doesn't even deserve. I mean, is like you walk down the street and you always trip with every single tile.

And although they are wearing masks, he can still covers the holes in it that allow the sound to come out. So, technically, making them to shut up.

Frontier

Staff member
The Cat Burglars were hilarious, especially when they said they were Black Cat fans. Although I'd rather just see her again, to be honest :p.

I didn't mind the Hobgoblin design initially, but these metallic and robotic Goblin designs are so clunky and generic. I feel the show could do a lot better :sad:.

It's just kind of weird for me that the Hobgoblin, or The Goblin, was barely a thing on this show and now suddenly there are all these people flocking to a "Goblin Nation." They must have a good insurance policy :rolleyes2:.

Can we cut it out with all the help from Doc Ock? I get they want to show him in a heroic light now, but Spidey having a voice in his head and a bunch of Spider-Bots with lasers as backup just seems like too much. Basically all the challenge fighting the Goblins went out the window when those Spider-Bots showed up :(.

Harry! It was great to finally see him back and with Peter again, even if there's immediately some new tension over Peter palling around with Doc Ock. I guess they're not going to follow up on that thing Norman left for Harry at the end of season 1 though :sweat:.

I'm kind of surprised Peter didn't ask "why does Harry still have this souped-up Goblin Gear?" after he saw him fly off on the hover-glider. That's more advanced then the glider the Hobgoblin used and was also the same as what the Goblin Solider was using :eek:.

It was cool to see the show remember Alistair and that he had a bit of a grudge against Peter. We even got some mini Spider-Slayers ;).

I love how Peter immediately realizes Ghost Spider is Gwen, which begs the question as to how no one with a decent IQ doesn't realize Ghost Spider is just Spider-Gwen wearing a mask for some reason :rolleyes2:.

Gwen and Anya thinking Peter was behind everything was pretty hilariously wrong. I really do wonder if this is going to lead to Peter revealing his identity to them, although does he still not know Anya is Spider-Girl? Even if I guess it's kind of obvious what with her hanging out with Gwen :confused:.

So Peter was able to get Miles to help him into Horizon but not run interference with Gwen and Anya? Does he not know Miles has been working with them? Has Miles told him anything about what has happened during the bodyswap :rolleyes:?

Maybe it's just me, but Gwen gliding along with Anya swinging just looked kind of goofy. Just have the girl swing :ack:.

Who gave Gwen and Anya the number to Spider-Man's wireless line in his suit? Can he just...wirelessly add that to their contacts or something o_O?
I'm surprised they used Alistar Smythe again and that he is at Horizon. I hate how he was given Peter's lab though. It took a while to sink in that he was a member of the Goblin Nation, but looking back on how he was so loyal to Norman it makes sense. Though Alistar's hatred of Spider-Man is kind of out of nowhere unless there was an off-screen fight between the two.
Alistair tried to kill Spider-Man almost as much as his dad did, they were co-operators on the Spider-Slayers and he was working with Norman on anti-spider weaponry.

Last edited:

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
With all of the craziness that had been happening in New York, I guess Anya and Gwen thought it was best to lay low until a real threat like Peter Parker showed up again.

Even after the whole Superior scenario, everyone and everything connected to Horizon manage to annoy me more than Otto ever did. I guess it's kind of similar to how I usually tend to hate Harry Osborn in the various versions, like Spectacular. I just find it easier to stomach villains than bad friends.

The soft writing on these characters makes them come across a lot worse than they would have otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Marvel's Spider-Man "Goblin War: Part One"

That was amazing. Holy poo!

When did this show become great? It like happened all at once with the Superior arc and never let up.

It's telling that Spider-Man accidentally calls Ock his friend as he's fighting the first Goblin.

For the record, I trust Ock far more than I do Harry. Harry is the most likely suspect of being the Goblin King. If it's Norman instead, or the guy who was the Hobgoblin in the comics, I still think Harry's involved. He's been away for far too long to have been up to any good. Plus are we sure he was in Europe when Peter first called him? He could have already been in New York. We also never got any real reactions shots of him when he was alone which is another thing that points towards his guilt.

The one thing I didn't like is the idea that Peter didn't just drop his ID for Gwen and Anya. It worked out okay. But one of the tricky things about ID's is you have to figure out who it's best to tell. Oftentimes telling a person makes things better than keeping the secret. Peter telling Gwen and Anya would solve a LOT of problems including him explaining his recent behavior. The reason Tony Stark revealed his ID is because it solved a ton of problems the ID caused. Frankly, I might even be tempted to tell Max Modell too and tell him the reasons behind his behavior too. The ID is not for the best if it's working against the person. It's one of the interesting things about the concept.

For the record, Miles could be doing a lot more damage control for Peter than he is. Why isn't Miles the guy who snuck into Smythe's lab? Miles is not doing his fair share as Peter's friend or his partner. He didn't even show up in costume tonight.

But man, that was great. Don't turn your back on Harry, Peter. He's been gone far too long. *****.

Frontier

Staff member
When did this show become great? It like happened all at once with the Superior arc and never let up.
I thought the show was more on-point during Superior. Maybe because it had less other Spider-People and Spidey needing a voice in his head...although I guess the voice in his head at the time was still Doc Ock :p.
For the record, I trust Ock far more than I do Harry. Harry is the most likely suspect of being the Goblin King. If it's Norman instead, or the guy who was the Hobgoblin in the comics, I still think Harry's involved. He's been away for far too long to have been up to any good. Plus are we sure he was in Europe when Peter first called him? He could have already been in New York. We also never got any real reactions shots of him when he was alone which is another thing that points towards his guilt.
If this were season 1 Harry I think you'd have a better argument, but the only suspicious thing about Harry in this episode was that he had the same tech as the Goblin Nation, but Peter probably would have commented on it if we were supposed to find it suspicious.

To be honest, I think they wrote out Harry either to focus more on Peter's relationship with the other Horizon kids (not that they really did that either) or not have him fall back on Harry's money and resources. Although I guess Doc Ock is okay :shrug:.
The one thing I didn't like is the idea that Peter didn't just drop his ID for Gwen and Anya. It worked out okay. But one of the tricky things about ID's is you have to figure out who it's best to tell. Oftentimes telling a person makes things better than keeping the secret. Peter telling Gwen and Anya would solve a LOT of problems including him explaining his recent behavior. The reason Tony Stark revealed his ID is because it solved a ton of problems the ID caused. Frankly, I might even be tempted to tell Max Modell too and tell him the reasons behind his behavior too. The ID is not for the best if it's working against the person. It's one of the interesting things about the concept.
I think Peter would've been more tempted to tell them if they weren't so quick to assume his civilian identity was a criminal mastermind. It's not like Anya's forthcoming about her identity either :ack:.

I wouldn't tell Modell if only because I'm sure Max would've somehow screwed Peter over by knowing like he always tends to do :rolleyes:.
For the record, Miles could be doing a lot more damage control for Peter than he is. Why isn't Miles the guy who snuck into Smythe's lab? Miles is not doing his fair share as Peter's friend or his partner. He didn't even show up in costume tonight.
I don't disagree, but one could also argue that it's Peter's fault for almost never calling Miles :p.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
If this were season 1 Harry I think you'd have a better argument, but the only suspicious thing about Harry in this episode was that he had the same tech as the Goblin Nation, but Peter probably would have commented on it if we were supposed to find it suspicious.

To be honest, I think they wrote out Harry either to focus more on Peter's relationship with the other Horizon kids (not that they really did that either) or not have him fall back on Harry's money and resources. Although I guess Doc Ock is okay :shrug:.
It doesn't matter that Harry hasn't been acting suspiciously. If he's guilty, the writers will make sure he isn't acting so. It also doesn't matter whether it would make sense from a character standpoint. I have noted that the framing devices the producers used when showing Harry's reactions alone for a split-second are the exact same kind of things Weisman did on The Spectacular Spider-Man regarding both Norman and Harry as far as Goblin guilt and suspicion went. It's the actual editing of the show that makes him a suspect, not logic or on-screen behavior. I bet you a Hot Pocket I'm right.
I think Peter would've been more tempted to tell them if they weren't so quick to assume his civilian identity was a criminal mastermind. It's not like Anya's forthcoming about her identity either :ack:.
But Peter already knows it's Anya, and that's she's actually reasonable. If he didn't know Gwen and Anya were the other spiders it would be different.

Putting it another way: Anya and Gwen think it's Peter because of his earlier bad behavior. In order for them to know he's not a jerk, he'd have to be able to explain that earlier behavior. And he can't. Unless he reveals the identity and tells what happened with Ock. Hell, Ock might even back up his story if need be. Keeping the secret with Anya and Gwen is creating more problems than it is solving.
I wouldn't tell Modell if only because I'm sure Max would've somehow screwed Peter over by knowing like he always tends to do :rolleyes:.
He actually did that in the comics? Color me 100% not surprised. The dude sucks on every level. Never mind my foolish suggestion.

Pattern_Maker

But Peter already knows it's Anya, and that's she's actually reasonable. If he didn't know Gwen and Anya were the other spiders it would be different.

He doesn't know Spider-Girl is Anya. The first time he saw her as Spider-Girl Anya and Gwen went with the story that he was hallucinating from where ever The Spot sent him. And the second time is when Ock switched bodies with him moments later.

It's possible he could know Spider-Girl is Anya now because of her and Gwen accusing Peter of being a member of Goblin Nation.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
He doesn't know Spider-Girl is Anya. The first time he saw her as Spider-Girl Anya and Gwen went with the story that he was hallucinating from where ever The Spot sent him. And the second time is when Ock switched bodies with him moments later.

It's possible he could know Spider-Girl is Anya now because of her and Gwen accusing Peter of being a member of Goblin Nation.
I would have thought Ock would have told him. The whole narrative since Superior is so freaking confusing.

Frontier

Staff member
It doesn't matter that Harry hasn't been acting suspiciously. If he's guilty, the writers will make sure he isn't acting so. It also doesn't matter whether it would make sense from a character standpoint. I have noted that the framing devices the producers used when showing Harry's reactions alone for a split-second are the exact same kind of things Weisman did on The Spectacular Spider-Man regarding both Norman and Harry as far as Goblin guilt and suspicion went. It's the actual editing of the show that makes him a suspect, not logic or on-screen behavior. I bet you a Hot Pocket I'm right.
I don't see any kind of proper foreshadowing that Harry might be involved, especially when they had Peter gloss over what seemed like obvious evidence if you were actually looking at things rationally.

I'm also just not sure why Harry would be involved. It would undo all of his character development from the end of season 1 to be involved in something like this.
Putting it another way: Anya and Gwen think it's Peter because of his earlier bad behavior. In order for them to know he's not a jerk, he'd have to be able to explain that earlier behavior. And he can't. Unless he reveals the identity and tells what happened with Ock. Hell, Ock might even back up his story if need be. Keeping the secret with Anya and Gwen is creating more problems than it is solving.
To be fair, it's not like they've even given him a chance to explain because they give him the cold shoulder every time he tried to talk to them.

Which I could see from Anya, but you'd think Gwen would hear him out given how many times she went to bat for Otto Octavius even when that didn't end well.
He actually did that in the comics? Color me 100% not surprised. The dude sucks on every level. Never mind my foolish suggestion.
Not in the comics, but someone in a similar position in Peter's life ended up doing the same thing, and Max's track record on this show certainly isn't spotless.
I would have thought Ock would have told him. The whole narrative since Superior is so freaking confusing.
I don't know how Otto would know. He didn't interact with the girls in their costumed identities at all. He only knew about Miles.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I don't see any kind of proper foreshadowing that Harry might be involved, especially when they had Peter gloss over what seemed like obvious evidence if you were actually looking at things rationally.

I'm also just not sure why Harry would be involved. It would undo all of his character development from the end of season 1 to be involved in something like this.
That actually doesn't matter. It's a Jeph Loeb Marvel cartoon. They don't care about silly things like character development or believability. I'm giving the show a level of doubt after Superior than I never afforded the other Marvel cartoons, but I'm not giving it THAT much doubt.

I bet you a Hot Pocket I'm right.*

*Loser of the bet (of course) has to eat one of those gross things. I won't ask for proof like a picture of the wrapper though. Honor system only.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marvel's Spider-Man "Goblin War: Part One"

That was amazing. Holy poo!

I completely agree. This show has really stepped up since Superior. Season 1 was very rocky with some occasional great moments (most of those involving Otto, personally). Season 2 has improved over Season 1 but not THAT drastically... until Superior, that is. This episode was great once again. Intriguing mystery with the Goblin Nation. More great interactions between Peter and Otto (which I love so much). Harry is back and definitely acting suspiciously. Gwen and Anya's interactions with Peter led to some funny moments though Peter should really tell then the whole truth already. Seeing Alistair Smythe again was a surprise. Overall, another great episode. This series is on a roll.

Frontier

Staff member
I completely agree. This show has really stepped up since Superior. Season 1 was very rocky with some occasional great moments (most of those involving Otto, personally). Season 2 has improved over Season 1 but not THAT drastically... until Superior, that is. This episode was great once again. Intriguing mystery with the Goblin Nation. More great interactions between Peter and Otto (which I love so much). Harry is back and definitely acting suspiciously. Gwen and Anya's interactions with Peter led to some funny moments though Peter should really tell then the whole truth already. Seeing Alistair Smythe again was a surprise. Overall, another great episode. This series is on a roll.
I think some of the Otto developments this season feel more earned then in season 1 or early season 2 because they're not rushing through it like I felt they did before.

I think I like Peter and Otto's social dynamic more then I like their Superhero dynamic :confused:.

I'm not sure where Harry comes off as acting suspiciously, he had valid reasons for not trusting Otto. He didn't mention what Norman left for him at the end of season 1 but I wouldn't be surprised if the writers just forgot about that :ack:.

I think some of the Otto developments this season feel more earned then in season 1 or early season 2 because they're not rushing through it like I felt they did before.

I think I like Peter and Otto's social dynamic more then I like their Superhero dynamic :confused:.

I'm not sure where Harry comes off as acting suspiciously, he had valid reasons for not trusting Otto. He didn't mention what Norman left for him at the end of season 1 but I wouldn't be surprised if the writers just forgot about that :ack:.
Season 2 definitely had a better pace of Otto's development than Season 1. Harry is definitely valid in his mistrust in Otto but when Otto called him out on keeping something from Peter, Harry got uncomfortable and flew off on his glider. It seems he's going to tell Peter the whole deal in detail in the next episode but I'm curious what all the fuss is. I'm hoping the writers didn't forget what Norman left him and that THAT is the reveal. Guess we'll find out next week.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Catch a new episode of Marvel's Spider-Man, tonight at 9:30PM ET on Disney XD! The Goblin War continues! The episode will also be available on DisneyNOW before its debut on TV.

yqj5ahh-jpg.188162
Marvel's Spider-Man "Goblin War, Part 2"
Episode Debut - November 17th, 2019

Spider-Man and Harry Osborn seek the Goblin King to determine who is behind the Goblin Mask.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

EndBringer99

Ugh...Gwen and Anya are more annoying in part 2. Trying to one up Spidey to prove just cause he's the original, he's not the best, and amandantly refuse to listen to Ock. Reasons for that aside, this would all be easier if Peter just sucks up and tells the girls the truth.

Pattern_Maker

It was actually more of Gwen trying to one up Spidey. Anya kept bringing up that they should contact him and Gwen kept telling her they didn't need his help. Reminds me of how in Season 1 Anya was nicer to Spider-Man, but harsher to Peter and Gwen was the opposite. That fist bump the girls did was cute though. Them not trusting Ock makes sense considering he almost blew up their minds months ago.

Electro as a sub-leader of the Goblin Nation, and with her own Electro-Goblins to boot. I wonder how Toomes freed her from The Cellar.

Adrian Toomes as the Goblin King. Gotta say with all the promotional material like the toys and Spider-Man: Demoliton Days comic collection featuring a Norman Osborn-Marvel Knights: Green Goblin, I was trying hard not to believe Toomes was the true Goblin King. In the end I think they made it work.

Like many of the scientist villains on the show Toomes wanted respect and acknowledgement for his work. As the Goblin King he's getting that respect and to top it all off half of the tech comes from one of the people he claims to have wronged him. Right in the face of the man's son. Alistar Duncan captured all of that well.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts