"Marvel's Spider-Man: Far From Home" Pre-Release News & Discussion Thread Part 1 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Spider-Man: Far From Home
Tentative Release Date: July 2, 2019
Previous Release Date: July 5, 2019

Last edited:

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
...That was fast. Wow. Looks like it'll take place after Infinity War.

Also, I was expecting that film to be one of the unnamed 2020 films. Guess we can rule it out.

Frontier

Staff member
I wonder if Marvel Studios had any say in this? It sounds like this is mostly on Sony's end, and we all know about Sony counting their chickens before they hatch :ack:.

I really hope they come up with a better title then Spider-Man: Homecoming 2 :sweat:.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
With this out you can absolutely forget to ever see a decent and mature Venom movie. I was skeptical when they announced the new young actors and now I'm just disappointed. The way they look. I can't take that seriously. And worst part is the animated series likely won't be any better since it's supposed to be similar and support the film.
I ruled out a decent and mature Venom movie when that was of the few remaining live-action pitches Sony had, which they intended to be within its own separate universe (how's that for a morale boost?). There's still that animated feature to look forward to if Homecoming is such a deal breaker. There's also always a chance this Lord & Miller project might be what the new series segues to rather than the predisposed synergy.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Interesting. Could be the 'epilogue' of Phase 3 like Ant-Man was the last movie in Phase 2 or it could the start of Phase 4.

the greenman

I wonder if Marvel Studios had any say in this? It sounds like this is mostly on Sony's end, and we all know about Sony counting their chickens before they hatch :ack:.

I really hope they come up with a better title then Spider-Man: Homecoming 2 :sweat:.
Yeah, this sounds reactionary on Sony's end. I doubt that's the title, it's just a place holder until they get talks done about the next film.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
Interesting. Could be the 'epilogue' of Phase 3 like Ant-Man was the last movie in Phase 2 or it could the start of Phase 4.
The timing of it has it coming after the last Avengers movie of this Phase, which feels kinda "flagship-y" like Iron Man was back in the day :).

Greg91

Reporter
Yeah, this sounds reactionary on Sony's end. I doubt that's the title, it's just a place holder until they get talks done about the next film.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk
I agree. This release date definitely seems to be a result of Sony feeling confident about the Spider-Man film property again since The Amazing Spider-Man 2 aftermath left the series in a rocky place. That being said, I'm guessing they still need to consult with Marvel Studios about what Phase it will be in and if the date works for Marvel Studios. I know a lot of people are disappointed that a sequel to Doctor Strange probably wouldn't be in 2019 since there are now three MCU movies scheduled to release that year.

I wouldn't be surprised if the movie actually ends up in 2020. Marvel's other properties shouldn't be pushed back because of Spider-Man. He's already had plenty of movies. Plus we don't need three back-to-back Spidey movies with the Animated one in 2018.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Well, Tom Holland may be 20 or so, but they can't put off a sequel for long and finish the 'high school' arc. Unless he's done with growing.

Greg91

Reporter
Agreed. I suppose I didn't think about that too much. Fortunately, I don't think Tom Holland will look a lot older in comparison to Andrew Garfield or Tobey Maguire when they were playing Peter Parker in high school.

I just hope the other movies aren't pushed back. A lot of people seem to let it go because it's Spider-Man so he gets a free card. I love Spider-Man; he's one of my favorite superheroes, but I don't want to see others get shoved aside because Spider-Man is Marvel's most popular hero.

If the Spider-Man sequel stays in 2019, I'm curious what 2020's titles will be. I'm more focused on what's coming up like Guardians Vol. 2 and Homecoming, but if I look into the future, I definitely think Doctor Strange 2 should be one of the titles. For other sequels, I could see another Black Panther or Guardians of the Galaxy movie. For new movies, I could see the Inhumans if the show does well. Also, I'm very hopeful that we will finally get a Black Widow movie. Scarlett Johansson has confirmed that she's only interesting in wearing the costume for a limited time, so I definitely want to see that soon.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Agreed. I suppose I didn't think about that too much. Fortunately, I don't think Tom Holland will look a lot older in comparison to Andrew Garfield or Tobey Maguire when they were playing Peter Parker in high school.
The thing with me is Holland is the most believable as a high school student, imo. Garfield pretty much. Maguire, I never bought it.

I just hope the other movies aren't pushed back. A lot of people seem to let it go because it's Spider-Man so he gets a free card. I love Spider-Man; he's one of my favorite superheroes, but I don't want to see others get shoved aside because Spider-Man is Marvel's most popular hero.
Eh, I don't think so. I'm sure there was talk between Sony and Marvel Studios way before this announcement and MS had a sequel up on the board of future movies they've outlined for the next few years.

If the Spider-Man sequel stays in 2019, I'm curious what 2020's titles will be. I'm more focused on what's coming up like Guardians Vol. 2 and Homecoming, but if I look into the future, I definitely think Doctor Strange 2 should be one of the titles. For other sequels, I could see another Black Panther or Guardians of the Galaxy movie. For new movies, I could see the Inhumans if the show does well. Also, I'm very hopeful that we will finally get a Black Widow movie. Scarlett Johansson has confirmed that she's only interesting in wearing the costume for a limited time, so I definitely want to see that soon.
Indeed. How popular Phase 3 movies will probably be a big influence on Phase 4's line up.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
You have to remember that July 2019 release date was originally planned for the Inhumans movie though honestly... at this point that seems to have been relegated to ABC as a TV series. I guess it's possible they could get a movie but again the guy really pushing for the Inhumans to get a movie for the Marvel Cinematic Universe no longer works on the films themselves and works more with the TV series and considering how little ties the TV series even the Neflix ones have gotten to the movies, I don't see Inhumans breaking out of that. I could be proven wrong but I'm pretty sure that was left as a free space and Sony is just taking advantage of that. I do hope we do get to see some scenes of Peter/Spidey in the two Avengers Infinity Wars movies though and have him part of those before this movie which I have a feeling like a lot of Phase 4 (even if this is the epilogue of Phase 3 it will feel in some sense more related to Phase 4 like how Ant Man is technically Phase 2 but feels in a sense more phase 3) will be more low key. I mean after the Infinity War I doubt the MCU is going to ramp up to something that spanning for awhile so we'll see smaller scale movies which I'm sure Homecoming 2 or whatever MCU Spider Man 2 will be called fits in well. And then hoping the following year we see a Black Widow movie. I think Marvel didn't want to reveal any films because that would spoil who would die or not in Infinity War but... yeah no way was Spider Man going to die so I can see why that was slipped first.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I think if Spider-Man was completely Marvel Studio's, they would not have made the announcement of a Spider-Man sequel and kept it all under the table because that's that their style (remember what else Sony prematurely announced Spidey related?) and it creates that halo effect that the other debut solo, Dr. Strange, isn't getting a sequel when he's done pretty well and has a big role in IW and Phase 4 as has been hinted. We know of 3 rumored 2020 slots already so guaranteed Strange 2 is very likely to be one. Who MS ultimately chooses to start off Phase 4 when that slate is better finalized will be pretty interesting since they join the ranks of Iron Man and Cap.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
I think there aren't that many possible options if you narrow it down - Black Panther, Iron Fist, Captain America, Thor, Doctor Strange, Hulk, War Machine, Ant-Man. Has to be one of them.

Frontier

Staff member
I think there aren't that many possible options if you narrow it down - Black Panther, Iron Fist, Captain America, Thor, Doctor Strange, Hulk, War Machine, Ant-Man. Has to be one of them.
We might get a better idea of it going into Infinity War, and seeing who Peter gets to interact with in that film :).

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Daredevil would be cool, but unlikely.

Captain America would be my second choice - their brief interaction in Civil War was great.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
@Frontier Agreed. That will be a good hint. I also think it will be someone who Marvel wants to promote through that film. It could even be the likes of Hawkeye, Black Widow or Falcon. Who really knows? But that's the fun part :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts