Marvel's Spider-Man "Brain Drain" Talkback (Spoilers)

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News

Rate & Discuss this "Spider-Man" Episode!

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• ***1/2

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
7,972 6
A Valid Location
Catch Marvel's Spider-Man! Disney XD will premiere two new episodes, back-to-back, tonight starting at 6:30PM ET!

Yqj5AHH.jpg
Marvel's Spider-Man "Brain Drain"
Episode Debut - August 13th, 2018

Spider-Man and Miles Morales discover Doc Ock, whose mind has been hiding inside the metal body of the Living Brain, has been behind the mysterious bounty for Spider-Man's head.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Note: If possible, please try and discuss the events of each new episode airing today in its respective talkback thread.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,735 7
Framingham, MA
Marvel's Spider-Man "Brain Drain"

Spidey trying to bribe Tinkerer with 4 dollars makes him seem extra pathetic.

Aunt May sure takes her wheatcakes seriously.

How much does Ock know or has figured out about Peter by now? Clearly not enough to refer to Miles as anything but his partner.

I did not understand or buy Peter resisting getting sleep. People NEED sleep and both Miles and May were bending over backwards to cover for him. This is actually an opportunity for him to recharge, and he spends almost all of that time trying to sneak out of the house. Is Peter a genius or an idiot? Because only an idiot would give up the gift of actual sleep with other people covering all the bases.

I also don't like Miles talking to himself when he's alone for the benefit of the audience. That works when Peter does it, but Peter is pretty much the ONLY current fictional character that works for. It's usually better for scenes involving anybody else to have a second person to describe what is happening.

I actually found Peter quite cute for being charmed by the stuffed elephant Senor Trunks.

Dire cliffhanger too. ****.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,554 46
Sherman Oaks CA
Man, Peter has been going on with virtually no sleep for a whole week and he's still getting up and fighting bad guys non-stop? That's pretty impressive for a teenager. I'd like to see an Avenger pull that off :cool:

It was cool to see the Living Brain make it's debut in a Spider-Man cartoon, complete with adapting Doc Ock transferring his consciousness into its body. They even fit in the whole "May I offer you a refreshing drink" line :proud:.

It was also fun to hear Scott Menville do a robot voice and then, at the end, using it to convey Doc Ock's personality after the reveal. You'd almost be forgiven for thinking it was another case of a VA doubling-up if you didn't know ahead of time what was probably going on :evil:.

Miles calling Aunt May to get Peter to rest was kind of amusing, although I was surprised Miles even had May's phone number, although I guess he also called her for the party during the Venom arc :confused:.

It was nice to see Tinkerer again since I wasn't expecting the show to bring him back, and he felt much more like the Tinkerer with all his new doodads and tech, actually giving Spider-Man a decent fight this time. Although a boomerang and powered-whips? Seems like Tinkerer is cribbing from other villains' gimmicks :rolleyes2:.

I like that the only way the police could reasonably capture Spider-Man is when he's completely exhausted and unable to resist, although if he wanted to he probably could have broken those handcuffs without much difficulty :).

It was nice to see Captain Watanabe back again, since I'm glad she's not being relegated to being a one-episode wonder like some characters (Cough)Robbie Robertson(Cough) and that she takes plenty from the Captain Stacy/Jean DeWolff playbook when it comes to interacting with Spider-Man. I also found it amusing that Peter could actually pronounce her name correctly versus Jonah, though Robbie Daymond has a lot of experience saying Japanese names :anime:.

Aunt May hanging out with Gwen was an interesting twist, although I was kind of half-expecting May to try and push Gwen and Peter together. Which reminds me, are we ever going to see Mary Jane in this cartoon :(?

Norman and the Jackal being the top suspects for the mysterious villain reminded me that we haven't seen either since season 1, which is kind of surprising considering they were the show's primary villains back then. Now that role seems to be fulfilled purely by Otto, more or less :mad:.

With Peter stuck at home for most of the episode, it was nice to see Miles take over and lead the investigation into who was behind the villain gauntlet, even if it also played into Doc Ock's plans. It seems like the writers have to make up for whenever they forget about Miles for an arc by making sure he's involved in the next one :ack:.
Spidey trying to bribe Tinkerer with 4 dollars makes him seem extra pathetic.
He wasn't even offering him all the money he had. That certainly didn't look like $4 :p.
Aunt May sure takes her wheatcakes seriously.
Well, it is her specialty ;).
How much does Ock know or has figured out about Peter by now? Clearly not enough to refer to Miles as anything but his partner.
I noticed that they made it explicit that Miles in-costume only ever referred to Peter as Spidey whenever he was in-front of the Living Brain, lest he overhear Miles call Spidey "Peter." The only other time he could've heard it
I did not understand or buy Peter resisting getting sleep. People NEED sleep and both Miles and May were bending over backwards to cover for him. This is actually an opportunity for him to recharge, and he spends almost all of that time trying to sneak out of the house. Is Peter a genius or an idiot? Because only an idiot would give up the gift of actual sleep with other people covering all the bases.
I think it's because of Peter's sense of responsibility that he feels obligated to be involved and active rather then resting, lest someone get in danger or in trouble when he has the power to help...which is what happened to Miles :sweat:.

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
Ratings
2,642 8
1. I mentioned in another thread that Peter is essentially a martyr in a sense, given that he's putting so much value at doing the right thing over his own well being . It's quite interesting to say the least.

2. Norman Osborn and/or The Jackal will probably appear after the Superior Spiderman story is over, however long that is.

ChessKing

Jun 8, 2014
Ratings
United Kingdom
1. I mentioned in another thread that Peter is essentially a martyr in a sense, given that he's putting so much value at doing the right thing over his own well being . It's quite interesting to say the least.

2. Norman Osborn and/or The Jackal will probably appear after the Superior Spiderman story is over, however long that is.
It will probably be Norman Osborn that will appear after the Superior Spiderman story is over as in the comics Otto gave Peter his body back so he could stop Osborn in the Goblin Nation storyline.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,554 46
Sherman Oaks CA
It wouldn't be Peter if he didn't ;).
Jackal is still a loose end, and I can't imagine this show ending without doing a proper Green Goblin :evil:.
Its about time Miles finally helped out! Where was he when Spidey was in perpetual battle the last few episodes?!
I feel like one of the most consistent questions we ask with this show is "where's Miles?" :sweat:?
It will probably be Norman Osborn that will appear after the Superior Spiderman story is over as in the comics Otto gave Peter his body back so he could stop Osborn in the Goblin Nation storyline.
Although I don't see Otto giving his body back this time around. I think they're going to set up Peter using the Living Brain robot to force Otto to give his body back (probably with the help of the other Spiders) :ack:.

Oct 28, 2010
Ratings
New York
An amazing start to the Superior saga. It was so great seeing Living Brain on this show complete with it's iconic catchphrase "Would you like a tasty beverage?" Was slightly disappointed when it was revealed that Tinkerer was the one who threw the boomerang at Spider-Man. I have nothing against Tinkerer, but I was hoping Fred Myers (the villain Boomerang) would get in on the bounty action.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,554 46
Sherman Oaks CA
An amazing start to the Superior saga. It was so great seeing Living Brain on this show complete with it's iconic catchphrase "Would you like a tasty beverage?" Was slightly disappointed when it was revealed that Tinkerer was the one who threw the boomerang at Spider-Man. I have nothing against Tinkerer, but I was hoping Fred Myers (the villain Boomerang) would get in on the bounty action.
The actual Boomerang would've been perfect this, and I also instantly assumed it was him when that boomerang flew by :p.

(Granted, I think the show kind of needed to redeem their version of Tinkerer...).

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

My personal synopsis: I'm not the most energetic or enthusiastic person you'll ever meet, but that doesn't mean I can't have fun. Generally, I'm pretty introverted and usually play video games, watch anime, and also study in the field of IT. I'm a huge music fanatic, as well. And I listen to pretty much everything except country. My favorites being trap, jazz, and metal.
anyone else surprised that new Paw Patrol one hour special are now Nick's #1 most watched premieres in 2018 so far?
I just saw The Grinch in IMAX, it was great!
Iron Man: Armored Adventures is one of the most thrilling cartoons ever made.
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Hey Lady Lucario! Long time no see! How is life treating ya?