"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 7 (Spoilers)

Frontier

Staff member
Midway through the Lost and Found episode of Marvel 616, they start talking about animation and this design pops up.

I'm guessing it was an unused one from this show?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I don't see an image, but I assume you're talking about the Green Goblin design they show? The bodysuit definitely resembles the aesthetic of the Hobgoblin suit from the show.

Not sure what to take away from it other than it seems like from a conceptual stage they were planning on a more traditional Green Goblin than what we ended up with :confused:.

Frontier

Staff member
It's an odd mixture between Green Goblin and Hobgoblin. I definitely like it more than the show's Hobgoblin/Goblin King/Dark Goblin stuff, though.
I really don't understand why it was so difficult for this show to do a traditional Goblin. Instead we get like clunky metal face masks with no personality, Iron Man armors, or Venomized monsters :sweat:.

Pattern_Maker

Midway through the Lost and Found episode of Marvel 616, they start talking about animation and this design pops up.

I'm guessing it was an unused one from this show?

That design was used for the Hobgoblin toy that came out around season 2. Maybe that explains why Patrick Brown's artwork and the toyline used different designs from the show.

apiluvf8y__64394.1550284363.jpg

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I don't see an image, but I assume you're talking about the Green Goblin design they show? The bodysuit definitely resembles the aesthetic of the Hobgoblin suit from the show.

Not sure what to take away from it other than it seems like from a conceptual stage they were planning on a more traditional Green Goblin than what we ended up with :confused:.
9ed7392dcc9c8f8f38338027fcf00963.jpg

Frontier

Staff member
That design was used for the Hobgoblin toy that came out around season 2. Maybe that explains why Patrick Brown's artwork and the toyline used different designs from the show.

apiluvf8y__64394.1550284363.jpg
I guess there were "prototype" character designs that they went along with before they finalized anything for the actual series :confused:.

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
I remember the Hobgoblin toy, there was speculation that might end up being the Green Goblin design. Shame it wasn't used cause it's pretty nice. Reminds me of the early Spectacular Spider-Man toys not exactly using the final designs but later toys coming out with the final designs (like a Doc Ock that didn't look right and later a Doc Ock that was spot on). But still I don't know if the timeline matches up as well here because there wasn't a whole lot of toys with the designs from Hasbro to begin with for this show, I don't think they really care about it lol- they're doing good work with the other comics/movie related Marvel toys.

Pattern_Maker

d14aa4c359d426e81607fce6ee8983f1.jpg

Am I late to an old development? I never saw that Disney Plus featured the origin shorts as a compiled series pilot.

Yeah, it's weird. They gave the individual shorts a separate page and have them as the first episode on the show's page.

They did the same thing with Avengers: Secret Wars.

Frontier

Staff member
If they could do something like that, it would be nice if they could also do stuff like sorting EMHs episodes by production order, etc.

*Edit* 12/30/20

d6ddf8f911a7c8d68b9e8358e7a1868a.jpg

They split the Season 3 episodes on Disney XD.

Considering they basically were two episodes put together into a one hour special, I guess it's not that surprising :p.

Spider-Man

I was checking the season three listings on Disney+ and there's 12 episodes? Is that the right number? Why the shorter season?

SweetShop209

It's 12 episodes that aired as 6 specials that were each 2 hour. This wouldn't be the only Marvel cartoon with a shorter season as Black Panther's Quest (aka Avengers Assemble season 5) was 23 episodes instead of 26.

Frontier

Staff member
It's 12 episodes that aired as 6 specials that were each 2 hour. This wouldn't be the only Marvel cartoon with a shorter season as Black Panther's Quest (aka Avengers Assemble season 5) was 23 episodes instead of 26.
And both the last seasons of their respective shows...

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
So what's the final episode count then? 64 episodes?

That makes Ultimate Spider-Man the longest running at 104 episodes, then Spider-Man The Animated Series at 65 episodes, and then this one by 64. TAS beat it out by one!

SweetShop209

Whether it's 64 episodes (counting all 6 specials as 12 episodes) or 58 episodes (counting the specials as one episode each), this series is still the third longest running Spiderman cartoon.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts